very heavy steering?

Started by Pavett1990, March 21, 2013, 10:20

Pavett1990

hey guys..

i been having an issue with my '2

the last 2 days the steering is very heavy and isnt correcting itself.. (when you turn a corner normally goes back to straight without issue)
its staying where it is and when i turn the corner expecting it to straighten up accelerate and throws me off..

theres no whining from the power steering pump no strange noises? tyre pressures are 26 at front and 35 at back..

any ideas?
Japshow 2014 Organiser viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50853

If Speed Kills Me, Don\'t Cry Because I Was Smiling - Paul Walker

nathanMR2

Lower steering joint??

l viewtopic.php?f=47&t=32611 l
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Pavett1990

thanks for the link ill have a look now

Pavett1990

hmm could be the issue then.. seems realtively easy fix?!? *touchwood*  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

any ideas on how to tell its gone? surely this would bring up on MOT tomorrow?

Wabbitkilla

It's best just to get the plastics off and get in there with WD40 first to clean it out, and then a good spray of white grease.
Have a good look at your power steering pipes and reservoir while you're about it, rusty pipes can mean and advisory or failure under new rules and a couple of us have now had the pipes fail and leak. If they're rusty but not leaking, get them cleaned up rust treated and painted or underseal sprayed on.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Pavett1990

awesome thanks mate i will have to have a look tonight..

Pavett1990

Ok.. Went to tesco and noticed they've changed air to 50p  s:( :( s:(  I figure out my front tyres been pumped too 31psi?? They must have done it when I had tyres fitted on the back last week.. Dropped to 26 bit better but still not amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kentsmudger

Having the front tyres too high will make the steering lighter -  Very soft tyres would normally give you heavy steering
I suspect that you have a rusty steering knuckle, as suggested.

Been there, done that!
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Pavett1990

Got in the car today and it's fixed itself.. All perfect again  s:) :) s:)  lol

mrzwei

The car has been jacked up and down as part of the MOT process so that will have shifted things around a bit. Personally I would still lubricate the stering UJ.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

2 of the left

Quote from: "mrzwei"The car has been jacked up and down as part of the MOT process so that will have shifted things around a bit. Personally I would still lubricate the stering UJ.
+1 - Try 26 front -36 rear if you you have Toyos mounted
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Pavett1990"Got in the car today and it's fixed itself.. All perfect again  s:) :) s:)  lol

Mine did that as well but you will find the next time you drive on very wet salted roads and stand the car for a day or two the symptoms will return, it might free off again without lubrication or it will become permanently tight, you will find the steering will not self center and you have to pull it straight.

I have to say that lubricating the joint at this stage is NOT a permanent fix, this item is a bearing and has only seized up because of rust, you wouldn't re pack a seized wheel bearing as a permanent fix the same applies to this steering U/J, a sudden collapse could at best leave you with very loose steering or at worse a complete lock up in the joint, even compete failure leaving no steering at all, this isn't an exaggeration or scare mongering, it's a fact!! ....... Please don't wait to find out   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Russel Nash

Anonymous

Quote from: "Russel Nash"http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-MR2-Roadster-Mk3-Steering-shaft-U-J-universal-joint-knuckle-BRAND-NEW-/321081791652?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AMR+2&hash=item4ac1f754a4

Ouch!

I paid that much for a second hand one, not a bad price really (Bookmarked for future reference)   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Wabbitkilla

True Les, cleaning and lubrication might make it last longer, physics dictates that lubrication will need renewing regularly. If we all had out time again I guess we would lubricate them regularly from new to avoid failure in the future.

Bookmarking that eBay advert, good price!
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from

Pavett1990

something i will have to look at doing next month.. going to have to lube it up for now  s;) ;) s;)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

loadswine

Don't forget mattperformance does a refurb on these as well Ash.  s;) ;) s;)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Pavett1990

thats also a great tip  s:D :D s:D  i shall keep him in mind when this will be changed.. the car gets lifted yeah but they dont have the ramp in my garage that takes the wheels off the floor its the drive on oneso the weight of the car was always on the wheels?

should this matter?

mrzwei

There are attachments on the drive on ramps which enable them to jack up the car whilst raised on the ramps. I always thought they had to have this kit but could be wrong.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Anonymous

Quote from: "mrzwei"There are attachments on the drive on ramps which enable them to jack up the car whilst raised on the ramps. I always thought they had to have this kit but could be wrong.

+1

If it's a retail workshop I would be very surprised if it doesn't have this facility

Wabbitkilla

They have to jack the wheels off the ground to check bearings, bushes, and wheel rims.

Pavett1990

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"They have to jack the wheels off the ground to check bearings, bushes, and wheel rims.

hmm didnt think about that :/ i have bookmarked the part anyways

Pavett1990

And it's back lol

Wabbitkilla

It ain't going to cure itself  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

smarty72

And if it let's go you'll have a passengers seat all the way to the crash!!!!!

It's not something to take a chance with.
current: Astral Black FL

Ex: Forest Green 2003.

Tags: