very heavy steering?

Started by Pavett1990, March 21, 2013, 10:20

Pavett1990

Not something I have control over its going to have to wait unfortunately

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Japshow 2014 Organiser viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50853

If Speed Kills Me, Don\'t Cry Because I Was Smiling - Paul Walker

Jepson246

Mine has just started doing this. Heavy steering and not returning to straight after a turn.  I have just been out and sprayed the steering joint, waited 5 mins and took the car out. The steering isn't heavy any more but it's still not self correcting. Any idea if it would work instantly or if I should give it a day to loosen up. ??
[size=85]2001 silver beauty!
Powder coated anthracite alloys, Dev\'s de-dimplator in gloss black, custom silver side vents with stainless steel meshing, screaming chicken soft top pull handle, silver mr2 vinyl kick plates, PRECATS OUT and a relocated front number plate.
[/size]

Anonymous

If you sprayed with grease then it would ease it, penetrating oil (WD40) should free it off if you spray while someone works it but the joint has sized because of corrosion and needs replacing as soon as possible

Jepson246

Yeah used wd40 and got someone to move the steering as I sprayed. Hoping it Wud ease it for a couple of weeks before I can afford to replace it.
Powder coated anthracite alloys, Dev\'s de-dimplator in gloss black, custom silver side vents with stainless steel meshing, screaming chicken soft top pull handle, silver mr2 vinyl kick plates, PRECATS OUT and a relocated front number plate.
[/size]

Pavett1990

I've taken my '2 off the road because of it.. I have a part which is expected Wednesday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jepson246

Unfortunately it's my only car :-/ so taking it off the road isn't an option. Are you replacing the steering joint?
[/size]

Wabbitkilla

Well, it sounds pretty goosed tbh, with something like this you either take it off the road / fix it or the car will take itself off the road and you with it. Hopefully not taking some other innocents with you. I take it you have plenty of power steering fluid in the reservoir?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Pavett1990

Quote from: "Jepson246"Unfortunately it's my only car :-/ so taking it off the road isn't an option. Are you replacing the steering joint?

its my only car too.. i am now without a car until its fixed.. yeah replacing the joint.. its just rusted and all seized up id rather not take the risk  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Jepson246

Literally couldn't go to work if I didn't have my car unless I wanted to pay 70 quid a day getting taxis. :-/  it has loosened abit now, but shall look to buy the part today and get it fitted this week.
[/size]

Pavett1990

the link on this thread i think its £111..

i get the train to work so im lucky in that aspect.. do you have any public transport to work like trains or busses?

where i worked before didnt i was litterally stuck with having to drive to work but im suprised how much i saved a month working in a capital city  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  train saves me over £200 a month in fuel let alone the £5 a day parking...

so around £280 a month  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

im hoping to get the car in to have the knuckle changed and brake done and back in for an MOT retest on friday then down the the post office for tax  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  very expensive month  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

dj2k21

When I was without a car I hired from europcar and I got a spanking well specced vauxhall insignia for something silly like £18 per day.  Makes it seem almost silly to take ur own car if say ur doing a 300 mile journey one day or something.
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Pavett1990

Quote from: "dj2k21"When I was without a car I hired from europcar and I got a spanking well specced vauxhall insignia for something silly like £18 per day.  Makes it seem almost silly to take your own car if say your doing a 300 mile journey one day or something.

i did look at doing that not long ago but as i was only 18 it would have cost me a fortune..

theres a guy that always pops up on facebook here who rents a car for a weekend and does lifts to and from town.. makes a killing aparently..  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Jepson246

Got it booked into the garage to be looked at today, hopefully their quote won't be too bad :-/  the business park I work on is in the middle of nowhere so I could get the bus into town train to nearest town then taxi to work. Unfortunately noone I work with lives in my area either :-/ also with buses I would have to get about 4 buses, starting at 6 in the morning and then walk about 3 miles to work (busy road no pathway) so yeh am abit stuck. Hoping to et it sorted this week, until then ill try and not use it as much as I can.  Yeah as I'm still £20 renting a car is still soo expensive :-/
[/size]

Pavett1990

they always catch you with the "young" rental thing  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

i was hoping to do mine as a cheap tempary fix but having a bit of a research i dont fancy driving down the Motorway and steering locking at 70mph.. doesnt sound like fun tbh  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  so i just took mine off the road as im ok for travelling.. hopefully the new knuckle will arrive wednesday and be fitted and back in for MOT retest friday **fingers crossed**

Jepson246

Yeah I'm not fancying my steering going on the dual carriageway :-/ so gonna try ad get it in ASAP!  Yeah I was hoping spraying it would hold it for a couple weeks, guess the credit card is gonna take a nice hit this month.  Also cheers for reminding me I need to tax my car which ran out yesterday  s:P :P s:P   at the moment it's one thig after another with the car :-/ making me loose faith!
[/size]

Pavett1990

same mate tax ran out yesterday too.. the knuckle didnt pull up on MOT but for me and the missus safety id rather do it while im getting rear brake to stop binding  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

tax and MOT this month i did have paris booked with southern softies but work messed my pay up so had to cancel that tho so im struggling this month  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Jepson246

Yep I just had a mot last week and it only showed abit of play in the steering but other than passed, thankfully!  Just ordered the part, did you order the one off eBay £111 ? expensive month!!  s:( :( s:(  no going out for me lol
[/size]

Pavett1990

Quote from: "Jepson246"Yep I just had a mot last week and it only showed abit of play in the steering but other than passed, thankfully!  Just ordered the part, did you order the one off eBay £111 ? expensive month!!  s:( :( s:(  no going out for me lol

i didnt.. i seen on facebook d!ck sloan was breaking a '2 with like 40k miles on it and he said he would give the knuckle a bit of a tidy up and get it posted im expecting it tomorrow but was considerably cheaper.. its only for tempary iv saved the ebay link above to purchase in the next couple of months

Jepson246

Ah right I was going to say I just bought the eBay one and asked if they could get it delivered tomorrow and they said yes no extra charge.  Just wandered why yours would take so long  s:P :P s:P  that sounds like a good deal.  Just want to get it done and dusted and have no more problems  s:P :P s:P
[/size]

Pavett1990

Quote from: "Jepson246"Ah right I was going to say I just bought the eBay one and asked if they could get it delivered tomorrow and they said yes no extra charge.  Just wandered why yours would take so long  s:P :P s:P  that sounds like a good deal.  Just want to get it done and dusted and have no more problems  s:P :P s:P

yeah i ordered mine friday but due to bank hols the 1st time the post office is open is today and delivered by parcel force 1pm it should be here tomorrow by 1pm..

im getting it fitted by the future daddy in laws friend so it will be fitted (and brakes sorted) for the cheap price of 12 stella's  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Pavett1990

just had the news that the part that i have ordered was shot.. so iv had a refund.. looks like i have to buy the one in the link  s:( :( s:(  £111 not good  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Jepson246

Oh that's unlucky! Atleast you will have piece of mind that it is a new part with warranty. It is pricey, but hey gotta be done. I'm hoping I don't get charged too much for fitting.  Don't know if my garage accept beer as payment :-/ lol when I ordered the part it says next day delivery but then it says estimated delivery Thursday. So I rang them and they said they will send it out today to be with me tomorrow  s:) :) s:)
[/size]

Pavett1990

im going to have to do the same unfortunately worst thing is im on a timescale with friday as a deadline  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:scared: :scared: s:scared:

Jepson246

:-/ hopefully you can get it done by Friday then. I'm doing some driving for work next week so need it this week also or I will have the shame of having to use the company cars (Toyota Prius) :S lol
[/size]

Pavett1990

Quote from: "Jepson246":-/ hopefully you can get it done by Friday then. I'm doing some driving for work next week so need it this week also or I will have the shame of having to use the company cars (Toyota Prius) :S lol

oh dear :/   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   id rather get a bus   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

its mad really how i put this thread up then a couple of people mentioned their steering was heavy.. i think im a bit of a jynx   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Tags: