very heavy steering?

Started by Pavett1990, March 21, 2013, 10:20

kentsmudger

Quote from: "Pavett1990"just had the news that the part that i have ordered was shot.. so iv had a refund.. looks like i have to buy the one in the link  s:( :( s:(  £111 not good  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
MattPerformance on here does and exchange scheme on refurbed UJs - The one I got from him looked as good as new and was only £95 - Look here
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Pavett1990

Quote from: "kentsmudger"
Quote from: "Pavett1990"just had the news that the part that i have ordered was shot.. so iv had a refund.. looks like i have to buy the one in the link  s:( :( s:(  £111 not good  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
MattPerformance on here does and exchange scheme on refurbed UJs - The one I got from him looked as good as new and was only £95 - Look here

awesome thanks for the link mate.. pm sent  s:D :D s:D
Japshow 2014 Organiser viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50853

If Speed Kills Me, Don\'t Cry Because I Was Smiling - Paul Walker

Jepson246

Are you saying we are all aloud to blame you  s;) ;) s;)  lol
[size=85]2001 silver beauty!
Powder coated anthracite alloys, Dev\'s de-dimplator in gloss black, custom silver side vents with stainless steel meshing, screaming chicken soft top pull handle, silver mr2 vinyl kick plates, PRECATS OUT and a relocated front number plate.
[/size]

Pavett1990

Lol you may aswell I normally get the blame for everything that happens at home lol.. If the dog breaks an ornament it's my fault lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trevsmr2

This knuckle seems to be a common fault ,has anyone fitted a universal steering rack gator over it to protect it ?
looks easy enough to get one on ,even one of those split ones that cable tie together

Pavett1990

Iv never heard of it.. Could be something to look into when replacing.. You have any links?

Jay67

Quote from: "trevsmr2"This knuckle seems to be a common fault ,has anyone fitted a universal steering rack gator over it to protect it ?
looks easy enough to get one on ,even one of those split ones that cable tie together

thought about trying that myself, i ended up getting one off a breaker for about 20 quid and it's lasted me 12 months so far, refurb from Matt when this one goes                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    ,
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

mrzwei

Quote from: "Jay67"
Quote from: "trevsmr2"This knuckle seems to be a common fault ,has anyone fitted a universal steering rack gator over it to protect it ?

thought about trying that myself, i ended up getting one off a breaker for about 20 quid and it's lasted me 12 months so far, refurb from Matt when this one goes

That sounds like a very good idea!
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Pavett1990

+1 mate just ordered from the link above as need it done by Friday lol

krazysteve

Quote from: "Jay67"

thought about trying that myself, i ended up getting one off a breaker for about 20 quid and it's lasted me 12 months so far, refurb from Matt when this one goes                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    ,
on my old lady's 2 the knuckle may need doing later this year, so far seems ok.
 i used denso tape from the pit (used for covering electrical joints in wet conditions underground etc) encased it with grease and a couple of tyraps , so far no problems.
 m http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/40014670 ... pla&crdt=0 m   " example"
RACING, because football, cricket, rugby and golf only need ONE BALL

Pavett1990

car is being collected.. been in since 8am having knuckle changed and break adjusted.. £50  s:D :D s:D  off for MOT retest then hopefully will pass  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

had a chat with the mechanic just now over the phone and he said he has fitted the part and steering is now perfect hes also put protect on it to stop seizing again in future.. and caliper seized he took it off, bled it added new fluids and now its perfect again, but advised me i may need to look for new calipers soon.. cars off to garage in 45 mins  s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  wish me luck  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Pavett1990

bit of a set back.. my dad has taken the car for a spin when it was returned and he has said the steering wheel is turned a third of the way to the right to go straight.. and the back brakes are still squeeking... to say im furious is an understatement  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

mrzwei

Les is the expert on this, have a read of his 'how to'. I think it is important to stop the steering wheel from turning when you change the joint.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Pavett1990

i havent fitted it see i took it to a garage.. who evedently doesnt have a clue..

Pavett1990

failed MOT.. brake is worse and steering alignment is out.. and luckily for him hes shut til monday.. chance for me to calm down

Jepson246

At least your mechanic got the new knuckle in (even though he did it wrong). I left my car at the garage this morning, with the part, heard nothing all day went to pick it up after work, the car hasn't moved from where I parked it in the morning and the guys said he took a glance but doesn't really know what it entails to replace the knuckle so he would want the car in for a couple of days to do it :-/ joke!!
Powder coated anthracite alloys, Dev\'s de-dimplator in gloss black, custom silver side vents with stainless steel meshing, screaming chicken soft top pull handle, silver mr2 vinyl kick plates, PRECATS OUT and a relocated front number plate.
[/size]

Pavett1990

I'd have rathered him say he couldn't do it all in a day and he will do it properly tomorrow instead of botch it in and let me go and pay for the retest and look like a fool

dj2k21

How come youve paid for a retest? Never heard of that before?
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Pavett1990

Yea £5 retest fee around here it's average.. Ranges from £5-15

dj2k21

Blooming heck. Its free up here lol
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

kentsmudger

Quote from: "Pavett1990"bit of a set back.. my dad has taken the car for a spin when it was returned and he has said the steering wheel is turned a third of the way to the right to go straight.
I managed to do that to mine first go, had to slip it off and correct it a couple of times to get it centred.

Quote from: "Jepson246"doesn't really know what it entails to replace the knuckle so he would want the car in for a couple of days to do it :-/ joke!!
Seriously? Show him Les' guide, I had never even looked at a steering knuckle before and I took about 3 hrs on my own on the drive, mostly because I couldn't shift the old one that was rusted on - Two guys and a workshop shouldn't take more than an hour or so - Do you need to look for a better garage?
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Jepson246

Didn't bother going back to the garage with it, or finding another garage, went down to halfords bought a socket set and a hammer and me and my boyfriends just did it, took just over an hour, as the socket set we bought was only a small one.  Steering feels great now, though we didn't get the steering perfectly straight, tiny bit out but barely noticeable. So all in all very pleased!  s:) :) s:)
[/size]

kentsmudger

Sorted!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jepson246"Didn't bother going back to the garage with it, or finding another garage, went down to halfords bought a socket set and a hammer and me and my boyfriends just did it, took just over an hour, as the socket set we bought was only a small one.  Steering feels great now, though we didn't get the steering perfectly straight, tiny bit out but barely noticeable. So all in all very pleased!  s:) :) s:)

Well done   s:D :D s:D  

I love it when a plan comes together   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Pavett1990

MOT passed **Phew** turns out the binding brake wasnt a binding brake after all.. it was a faulty wheel bearing.. all changed and at a grand total of £175 i now have a MOT certificate

paid £95 that included

1) Wheel bearing
2) MOT
3) £5 petrol

Tags: