Drip tray?

Started by Anonymous, July 14, 2003, 13:35

Anonymous

Does the MR collect excess water when the hood is up and it starts pouring?

I've noticed bugs and water can pass over the top of the hood, down the back screen, collect at the base rim and then trickle into the car itself. Snag is I dont know if it drains out of the car, or my rear compartment will get filled with bugs and smelly rainwater

Anonymous

There are drains either side of the car, at the bottom of the hood compartment.  The water runs off the back of the hood to the rip and then round the side of the car to the edge where the door meets the hood.  It then drops there into the drain and out the bottom of the car.

There's some good info on http://www.euroroadster.com/ about how to clean these drains out (if need be).

Anonymous

Quote from: "phil4"There are drains either side of the car, at the bottom of the hood compartment.  The water runs off the back of the hood to the rip and then round the side of the car to the edge where the door meets the hood.  It then drops there into the drain and out the bottom of the car.

There's some good info on http://www.euroroadster.com/ about how to clean these drains out (if need be).

Cheers Phil, I was worried I wouldnt have been able to survive the welsh weather, what with monsoon season during Jan-April   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Should be just fine  s:) :) s:)

markiii

the drains have magnetic flaps on them. So if they get blocked they won't drain. Check them periodically to make sure they are drainig properly. Just pour some water where the hood joins the body and makesure it appears under the car.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

... and water will accumulate and flood into the passanger cabin if the drains get blocked!

Last Nov I started noticing water coming out of the luggage compartment during/after heavy rain.

I then put my hands under the 'parcel shelf' and it was full of standing water on one side. Had to take the air vent off and poke through the gunge until it all drained out.

Mark

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"the drains have magnetic flaps on them. So if they get blocked they won't drain. Check them periodically to make sure they are drainig properly. Just pour some water where the hood joins the body and makesure it appears under the car.

You have magnetic flaps?

Ours (US model) have a rubber weight in the center of the flap, but the entire drain assembly is otherwise made out of plastic.

markiii

well it's rubberised so I may be wrong, but if you close it and hold upside down nothing opens until there isa decent amount of pressure behind it. I assumed some kind of magnetic but it could just be very sticky rubber.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Try holding a nail or a paperclip or something similar to it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "elfin"Cheers Phil, I was worried I wouldnt have been able to survive the welsh weather, what with monsoon season during Jan-April   s:) :) s:)

Shouldnt that be April - Jan ???   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"well it's rubberised so I may be wrong, but if you close it and hold upside down nothing opens until there isa decent amount of pressure behind it. I assumed some kind of magnetic but it could just be very sticky rubber.

Aha!! You are correct. I was taking a stab at fixing my top and had some extended garage time so I was pulling off the intake covers to wax inside the body and thought I'd check the plugs to see if they were what you thought they were and lo and behold, a paperclip stuck to them. (Is that not the longest dman sentence you've ever seen?)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Animal"
Quote from: "markiii"well it's rubberised so I may be wrong, but if you close it and hold upside down nothing opens until there isa decent amount of pressure behind it. I assumed some kind of magnetic but it could just be very sticky rubber.

Aha!! You are correct. I was taking a stab at fixing my top and had some extended garage time so I was pulling off the intake covers to wax inside the body and thought I'd check the plugs to see if they were what you thought they were and lo and behold, a paperclip stuck to them. (Is that not the longest dman sentence you've ever seen?)

I also discovered this when cleaning the car and the plate in the back of my head got stuck to it for 5 hrs.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Animal"(Is that not the longest dman sentence you've ever seen?)

Bloomin heck....now our American cousins are claiming the biggest sentence in the world  s:!: :!: s:!:  

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Well I can top that   "marriage"

That's a life sentence    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

I got a suspended sentence after serving sixteen years.

Tem

Btw, what's the purpose of those flaps anyway? I can't see any water or dirt getting into it and going upwards inside the car...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"Btw, what's the purpose of those flaps anyway? I can't see any water or dirt getting into it and going upwards inside the car...

Is it to stop something nasty crawling up there and blocking your passage ??    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   ( Cue the "matron" jokes !! )

Tags: