How long?

Started by ais, March 31, 2013, 23:57

ais

Without sounding controversial and without causing offence plus being a 2 fan, how long can we realistic think 2's will be around for?
With production ceasing in 2006 and no fresh vehicles coming on stream, it is not unreasonable to say that the majority of ownership will cease in the next 5 years. I have a low mileage 2, it's not my daily drive so mileage will continue to be low. How many others will be around and will this forum be around in say 10 years time?
As I said, I'm a fan and this is a serious question. How many 2 are currently out there? They can't go on for ever. Would be interested on people's views and where will everyone move on to after you can't get a 2? Rebuild after rebuild?   s:flame: :flame: s:flame:

AndyM

Based on a bit of stat dropping from someone on the Facebook group there is apparently 10,000 ish '2s on the roads still (I'm skeptical it's that many). As these fail they will be gobbled up into other needy cars. Combine this with the trademark Toyota reliability (and that a lot of parts cross fit other models), I don't think parts will be an issue for a long time.

I personally feel that what you have right now is an ownership base that is becoming largely enthusiast driven (not unlike classic cars). As such although the number may reduce, you will always have a core membership of people that love these cars and will keep them on the road for many many years.

My intention is to keep my 10 year old '2 as my daily drive for a couple of years (which will probably put about 25-30k on it!) and then see how I'm set (the future missus will probably want a little 'un around then). My hope is that I can keep it but retire it to be my project/weekend/track car while I buy some sort of practical dadmobile/estate.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Anonymous

ais, ever considered how many mk2 mr2s are still on the road? even mk1s!

trust me, MK3s will still be around in 10 years time!

dj2k21

I see two mk1 on a daily basis on my way to work, and I know of a guy close by with the super rare two tone supercharged version mk1. A friend of mine has a mk1.5 (mk1 with mk2 turbo engine)

So based on that alone with mk1 I would say we have nothing to fear and I dare say the oil reserves will run out before I get rid of mine.
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

ais

Thanks for the replies.
The idea of the question was to be thought provoking rather than an April fools joke.
With prices almost at bargain basement levels, some with mileage on here 100K plus, I would expect all but the die hard mk1 & mk2 fans now to be mk3 owners if they still wanted 2 ownership.
If there was a mk4 believe most on here would have switched.
Move forward 5 years, this forum now a mk3 'classic car' enthusiast site?
As the mk3 is the end of the line for the 2 - at what point do cars become collectable classics and prices start to rise?

Anonymous

i have no idea? but i hazard a guess at 25 years. if at all really!

Anonymous

Mk1 is now classed as a classic. Maybe in 10 years the mk3 might be a classic. Either way the following for an mr2 globally is so strong that I doubt they will ever become like the dodo. Look at fg-rob with his spitfire for example they might become rarer but will always be about even after the oil runs out.

Markb

They will probably outlast newer cars..lol....new cars are crap,have a look under a 3 year old mx5 and see the rust.....my daily drives are a 98 Rav4 and a 95 Ford Probe.....both just mot'd,both needed nothing and never have done except for the usual servicing which i do myself.....theres still plenty 20 year old mk2 mr2s about,getting decent money as well.

Tags: