Resonator removal

Started by aki, April 1, 2013, 00:09

aki

Ok, again not too sure if it's performance related but another something random that I thought i'd share.

I do look on here and things from Japan - and found this:

m http://mr2.k-free.net/mr-s/resonator.html m

"resonator killing"

According to this, the induction pipe has a resonator pipe to reduce induction noise - and the purpose was to try and improve airflow by blocking this pipe off!

It said to use rubber bungs, or anything appropriate to shut off the flow to this section.

Result on that article was - "couldn't tell the noise increase due to having loud exhausts"

What do you think on this one??

AndyM

I'm planning on taking mine out while doing another intake mod.

I've no doubt that Toyota will have put it in there for a reason (to reduce noise) so my assumption is that it'll get a bit louder. How much is probably debatable though (much like the replacement of the inlet elbow/Markiii pipe).
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

aki

Evenin' Andy

Do you think it's worthwhile to get rid? If its there just to make the car quieter.... might be alright for the noise fan to remove this perhaps?

AndyM

Evening.  s:) :) s:)  That's exactly my thinking. My understanding is that it isn't performance related, purely a sound dampener.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

loadswine

It is purely a dampener of sound at certain frequencies, a Helmholtz resonator. No air actually flows along that tube, just sound waves that bounce back and cancel out a certain frequency. They use them on exhausts as well, in certain situations.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Tags: