Owners Experiences and Review of BMC CDA Air Filter / Ind

Started by trickyD, April 5, 2013, 15:43

Zonda_

Both runs done on same day, induction kit bought from separate company, car was running standard setup, after run the printouts showed an increase of approx 20bhp I believe. As I said, they commented that they'd never seen such a large increase on a turbo car.
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

nathanMR2

I have to admit 20bhp off an induction on an N/A with no remap seems remarkably high to me. I only achieved these kinds of figures with a remap along with an uprated exhaust and manifold.

I know from adding the PPE it gave benefit to how the car drove, even before the remap. To what extent compared to stock is not down on paper but I know the car was more responsive and had more grunt when reaching higher revs. It wasn't much but I could certainly tell
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

loadswine

I think Zonda was referring to his gains on a turbocharged car, Nissan 200 SX.

Personally I wouldn't use a metal filter medium, but each to their own.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Zonda_

Quote from: "nathanMR2"I have to admit 20bhp off an induction on an N/A with no remap seems remarkably high to me. I only achieved these kinds of figures with a remap along with an uprated exhaust and manifold.

I know from adding the PPE it gave benefit to how the car drove, even before the remap. To what extent compared to stock is not down on paper but I know the car was more responsive and had more grunt when reaching higher revs. It wasn't much but I could certainly tell

It wasn't an N/A it was a turbo and I agree with you comments re the PPE, that's exactly what the BMC has done to mine.
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

trickyD

Quote from: "Aquity"First post on here, new member and will be posting pics of my new toy up soon, as regards the BMC, on the mr2 I feel the BMC is a bit pointless and no real gains compared with other air filters, The whole point of this filter is the "turbocharge" the air using the front air intake.

So you are saying I can cancel my order for the garret turbo?
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

nathanMR2

Quote from: "Zonda_"It wasn't an N/A it was a turbo

Sorry i miss read the post  s:? :? s:?
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Aquity

Quote from: "trickyD"
Quote from: "Aquity"First post on here, new member and will be posting pics of my new toy up soon, as regards the BMC, on the mr2 I feel the BMC is a bit pointless and no real gains compared with other air filters, The whole point of this filter is the "turbocharge" the air using the front air intake.

So you are saying I can cancel my order for the garret turbo?

Very easy to take part of my post, twist it to make a completely irrelevant and stupid statement in reply, you know that's not the point i was making, so give it a rest. In fact, you look pretty daft considering the whole point was to get across that the bmc is no better than any other induction kit unless installed correctly.

Taking part of my post to try make it look that I was saying a BMC would be an alternative to turbocharging an engine when I was in fact playing it down i can honestly say is the strangest way I have been welcomed on to a new forum, but if that makes you happy then I am most pleased   s:D :D s:D

trickyD

In the main I disagree with your point about placement.
It makes no difference if the filter is on your front bumper or the side pod intake, provided its in the car's airflow, it will receive some kind of "ram air" effect in theory. I don't think anyone is saying the BMC is "better" than other makes, but your statement that it is "pointless" is a little baseless.

I think you need to consider a little more about what you are saying, that's all.
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

dj2k21

I think basically the answer here is, just go with what u think will work, if it doesnt then change it, dont feel because several people use one method that its the right method, the only way to progress is to push boundaries. I know its not mr2 related but many mocked my close circle of friends when we said we were going to install a certain ecu onto a friends honda because they all believed hondata was the bees knees, all others resulted in loss of functionality of certain things, yet we fitted it, mapped it, used the standard ecu as a piggyback to run the clocks etc, the result was a car that not only ran perfectly but was capable of running individual cylinder tuning and produced around 25bhp more than the others made. Now low and behold this method is becoming huge. So it just goes to show really that sometimes being a black sheep pays off  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Anonymous

Guys all ram air is not really going to happen even in a side vent as the air flow Into the vents is really not that great at all unless you fit a scoop to it to make it a more positive displacement. As for dj's comment he is spot on, if nobody experimented with ideas we would all still be in the dark ages.

dj2k21

You're right there bucks, I wonder if that's why veilside made the vents bigger on my kit? Also I guess the c one vents increase size too?
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Anonymous

C-one didn't increase size but if any air gets caught in it only has way to go unlike stock making the airflow more positive. For example my engine bay temps dropped by around 20 degrees with the scoops fitted.

dj2k21

Yeah i know my inlet temps are down to 15 degrees roughly but alot of time was spent creating a decent intake system with correctly channeled air because as you say it makes all the difference mate  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Exactly air intake temp is the key thing to aim for.

dj2k21

Your on the money as always bucks  s:) :) s:)

FGrob

There's a thread somewhere on here about this very subject, although it's a PPE it's the same result.  s:D :D s:D    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Tags: