Change oil w/o jack

Started by westcoast, April 6, 2013, 11:04

westcoast

Quick question:

Is it possible to change the oil without using jack stands and maybe only the stock toyota jack in the bins?
I read somewhere that is was possible to do if you have the underbody plastics removed but mine are still on.
I would like to do a full engine service and replace the transmission fluid but I don't have an other jack nor do I have jack stand at my disposal for the moment.

Thanks!

onion86

In theory yes, you should at least get some axle stands though as I wouldn't trust the jack on its own (although mine's never let me down). I did an engine/transmission change 2 days ago and it was much easier with the trolley jack and ramps I got last year.

I've done a few oil changes with just the standard jack, I've also done a whole 'back to stock' turbo teardown with just the standard jack!

You can change the oil without removing the plastics as there is a little flap, but you can't change the oil filter or do the trans fluid, I changed an oil filter last year from the side of the car just removing the two front bolts on the plastics and bending it down but was a bit awkward with the standard jack in the way and it would be more prone to mess if you can't get something in there to catch the oil from the filter.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

westcoast

I have:

oil filter
oil plug+gasket
air filter
spark plugs

I need to go get right away:

- 4L Castrol edge 5w-30
- Torque wrench (20 - 90 lb.ft) (25-125 Nm)

And I'm good to go?

So I presume you lift the passenger side (my drivers side  s:) :) s:)  ) to acces the plastics/drain plug/ oil filter?
I read something about reaching the oil filter by taking of the rear wheel, is that possible?

Thanks for the quick reply, onion86, much appreciated!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

frogger

I would recommend jacking the other side - i.e. the US passengers side / UK drivers side.

Also, taking off the rear wheel is unnecessary.

An axle stand is also unnecessary - so long as you prop the car up with something solid to stop it falling on you if the jack shifts!

For this reason, if you have a couple of breeze blocks about, bricks, spare wheel off other vehicle etc... then you don't need anything more than what you have already (except getting some oil obviously).

Use the toyota jack to jack it up, and the solid object for propping.

You could of course remove the rear MR2 wheel to use as the solid object.

...Then again axle stands cost next to nothing, and last forever, so could just buy them whilst you're out getting the oil and be done with it!

One last thing... many people (myself included) don't bother to put the crummy plastics back on. Feel free to bin them and save yourself time + effort in the future.

frogger

Oh, and an oil filter removal tool is always nice to have.

... unless you're happy using brute strength + grip... or a screwdriver smashed thru...  both also work!

onion86

+1 for the oil filter removal tool (I find the universal chain ones the best as you can use them on all cars). I generally don't put mine on too tight, but garages do, so impossible to remove by hand. If you don't mind getting messy a screwdriver and a hammer works too  s:) :) s:)

As frogger said, lifting the 'right' side of the car is best as the filter/sump are over that side, removing the wheel still won't let you easily get to the filter with the plastics there and loads of oil will go over them if you do manage it. Best option if you don't want to take them off is the remove a few bolts and bend approach I mentioned.

Also lower the car after you've taken the drain plug out so the car is more level to drain out as much oil out as you can as generally you should have the back level and the front higher to get it all out.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

westcoast

Thanks for the replies!

Went to some stores and bought:

-sprak plug 16mm wrench €6
-oil filter wrench €6
-2 3T jack stands €40
-Oil catch bucket? 8L €9.5
-Torque wrench €72! 20-115 Nm
- 5L Castrol 5W30 EDGE €74  s:) :) s:)  

Ready   s8) 8) s8)   I'll just leave her to cool down for an hour while I do my workout and then I'll print some information and start getting my hands dirty  s:) :) s:) .

Few more qwuestions:

If I jack up the rear, won't the car roll forwards?

The car only has 55k miles on it but doenst have a service history so I'm looking forward to driving it with new spark plugs, filters and oil.
Now the last thing I need to do is find a place to buy some 75w90 redline oil for my slightly worrying gearbox.

Thanks again!

Andys-N20

Quote from: "westcoast"If I jack up the rear, won't the car roll forwards?
Thanks again!

The idea is to 'chock' the front wheels so that it cannot roll, some people use bricks ect.
204.2 BHP Silver 2000 MR2, 2006 2ZZ engine, Apexi PFC, Zorstec full stainless system exhaust (including 400 cell cat & race header), titanium heat wrap, MRW underdrive pulleys, handmade short ram intake, Hondata intake gasket, Celica gearbox ratio's, LSD.
Edge 306 speakers, Alpine CDE 235BT, sound deadened doors.
Full facelift conversion including bracing, sub frame, the works...

Anonymous

Yep I've changed my oil with the car on the ground but you do need to remove the undertrays first and then its just a case of reaching the drain plug and then the oil filter from the drivers side wheel arch.

westcoast

I'm glad I bought the jack stands,wouldn't feel safe with just the jack under it.
I managed to change the oil and filter in a bit more than 2 hours and did the spark plug in 45 minutes, damn number 3 wouldn't give.   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  
I managed to keep the garage clean until I refilled the car.
A piece of cardboard was lying on top of my funnel and I didn't see the oil flowing out of it until i heard it splashing on the floor, so maybe 0.5L of new EDGE oil all over my engine and garage floor.  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:     s:? :? s:?  
I was so close...  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  
Now I'm going to change the air filter and enjoy my SUNday cruise   s:D :D s:D  
I took some quick phone pics before I began.

Tags: