New toy, new problems!

Started by wallzaveerz, April 7, 2013, 07:50

wallzaveerz

Quote from: "cabbydave"If you want to come over and change the sensers one weekend give me a shout. I've ordered the toyota tis software and lead but dont know when it will arrive but have a elm reader that can also log what the car is doing on the road as well. Like I said ive got a complete engine here with all the sensers on it that were working I know its not the best way to diagnose a problem but if it gets sorted by changing one part at a time wtf. I know where you went today the guy wont let you have the part unless he knows it works or if it fails he will change it. Whats the car like if you give it full beans in the lower gears as mine doesn't half come to life after 4000 in top gear nearly as good as my old 944.

Hi Cabbydave, i think its fair to say everybody knows who i have been dealing with now!!    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    Nice guy and knows his stuff.   Sounds like a plan to have a ride over and have a play around until we solve the problem, like you say, a part at a time is not the ideal scenario for solving a problem but as long as the parts are cheap its not too much of an issue.

I dont get every weekend off, I work four on four off I'll be working Sat, Sun, Mon, Tue on my next four in but if you let me know when you are available I could have a ride over.   Odd you should mention a 944, I had a run in with one the other day on one of the rare occasions when my car was working properly.   He was dead in the water after the first corner,  even surprised me!

cabbydave

My 2 isnt as good as the 944 on corners I dont think the guy can drive

wallzaveerz

Morning all, back again like a bad smell.  Think I may have finally nailed the problem down,  after removal of pre-cats, replacement of MAF sensor, both pre-cat O2 sensors, the crank position sensor, manifold gasket and sealing rings and a full service....oh and ascertaining that it isnt burning oil which is probably due to what appears to be signs of a fairly recent rebuild, I'm still suffering a major lack of power.  Since I did a proper job of resealing the exhaust system it has gone even worse and now hisses from the manifold to exhaust flange when under load, the hiss is a very different sound to a normal exhaust 'blow', a fairly big indicator that my main cat is badly blocked and was probably over looked when everything else was dealt with by the previous owner.

Two questions, firstly could this happen intermittently?  I would expect a blocked cat to be blocked at a fairly constant level, mine does seem to have good days and bad days but is never perfect.

Second, we have a local business who build bespoke exhaust systems as well as smaller exhaust mods, I have used them on a number of my previous cars and they are very good, it is my intention to take my cat pipe to them and have it turned into a de-cat pipe thus removing the potential issue, I have 11 months until next MOT so sorting a proper replacement before then is no problem but it is my intention to put a decent aftermarket exhaust on eventually and dont want to blow any serious money on the existing system in the meantime.  So my question is will the removal of the main cat cause me any running issues or would it just throw up an annoying engine management light, not an issue on mine as some cowboy has already disabled it previously?

wallzaveerz

ITS FIXED!!!!!!!!  

No longer has any cats of any description, main one had collapsed so just cut out and replaced with straight pipe, will obviously need to remedy this before next MOT in 10 months time, hopefully with some nice aftermarket stuff, but I finally have the car I thought I was buying in the first place and it is utterly utterly brilliant.

Can concentrate on making it pretty now!

Wabbitkilla

Great news!
Well done persevering with it, be aware you will get an engine light for the cat not being there ... if you check the engine code it will be P0420.
There is a relatively cheap fix for it by fitting an O2 sensor spacer available via your favourite auction site.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

dcod

Great news ... and the sun is out!   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

tomaky

Fantastic news! Perfect example of showing how patience is a virtue!
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

wallzaveerz

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"Great news!
Well done persevering with it, be aware you will get an engine light for the cat not being there ... if you check the engine code it will be P0420.
There is a relatively cheap fix for it by fitting an O2 sensor spacer available via your favourite auction site.

There'll be no engine light.  As per one of my previous posts some ne'er do well has already beaten me to that one.  I know it looks like I've had to do loads to get to this point but the cost of all the bits and pieces and the cat work has come in at a shade under £100 to get it running properly.  

I can live with that!

Wabbitkilla

Result   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

wallzaveerz

Now get a very satisfying rifle crack from the exhaust going from second to third if pushing hard when its hot.  

Need a slightly less girly tail pipe now to capitalise on it!

eynonz

Love a happy ending   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  . Your horror story has reminded me of how I baught from a no to reliable dealer. I better go outside and check my stored fault codes.
*BLUE 2002 PRE-FACELIFT* - Markiii Pipe - Longlife Exhaust System - "The Ultimate Gear Shift Cable Bushings" -  Unknown Brand Front Strut Brace - More to come \";)\"

Tags: