Forced air induction

Started by Anonymous, June 17, 2004, 04:33

Anonymous

This might be a very stupid idea but any one who has the time to read this and reply would be appreciated.

From what I have read (no experience) the PE turbo on low boost can work on the MRS giving HP increase without changing injectors or ECU. If this is the case then I assume that the ECU will take into consideration the extra air being forced in by the turbo and increase the quantity of fuel to give the correct air/fuel mixture.

If the above is true would it be possible to get cylinder of compressed air, something like a scuba diver uses, and force this air in somewhere between the air filter and the MAF operated by a pressure regulating valve at WOT?

Diving cylinder can hold 3000PSI compressed air, this can be recharged.

SteveJ

You're dead right - it is a stupid idea  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

The engine would consume the contents of the tank within a matter of minutes (if not seconds), giving you an effective range of less than a mile  s:( :( s:(

If you are considering carrying compressed gas in the car, the only thing to really consider is a little blue bottle with N.O. written on it  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Tem

Quote from: "SteveJ"The engine would consume the contents of the tank within a matter of minutes (if not seconds), giving you an effective range of less than a mile  s:( :( s:(

We have 1.8l engine. Since it takes one rev to fill the cylinder and another to empty it, in theory the engine is using 3000*1.8 liters of air in one minute at 6000rpm. In practice it's a bit less, cause the cylinder won't get 100% fresh air every time, but that gives some idea of the amounts needed.

Oh and of course that's just being N/A, with 0.5bar add 50% more and so on  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Steve you mentioned Nitrous in your response. Is nitrous a feasible alternative on these cars? Can the little aluminum engine handle the added power safely? I'm actually considering a small 35 - 50 HP system, but don't want to risk blowing the engine apart.   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Slacey

One note on nitrous - my dealer is very understanding of mods warranty wise, but pointed out to me a few weeks ago that they wouldn't touch anything with nitrous installed... everything else was OK though  s8) 8) s8)
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Tags: