How to go louder cheaper?!

Started by 2000MR-S, April 17, 2013, 14:33

2000MR-S

Just a thought, definitely performance wise not ideal but theoretically........ what would happen if you welded one of these stubby slash cut universal exhaust at the end pipe location of Stock exhaust?
 m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230960356143? ... 1423.l2649 m  
Would it go louder or quieter? and what would be a technical outcome? would back pressure increase really badly and damage engine, etbuc.?

I like my car to sound around 92/93dB but then I don't have £300/400 to splash out on exhaust systems....
I know it's not performance upgrade, but from technical point of view many exhaust systems on other cars have middle size mid section and then stubby end section, would it not be similar layout with stock box and stubby end section if welded together?

Above might sound like a stupid suggestion but thought I would ask anyway? some kind of technical reasoning/answers/feedback would be very appreciated.
Many thanks

dj2k21

Honest opinion here, you will lose probably some low down pick up, enough to notice on a daily basis I doubt however head to head on a drag strip with another roadster would probably show it.

On another note it will look absolutely dreadful tbh. It will have to sit under the rear bumper unless u want to hack a peice out?
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

2000MR-S

Thanks for quick feedback, I assume the result would be similar/same with motorcycle exhausts?

dj2k21

Yes very much so. It will give u more noise for sure but thats it to be honest.
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Anonymous

I would say quieter as the stock system only has one box, this being the same as a back box on a boring car. You have to change the big box to another box for noise. A bit on the tail pipe will only make it look diferent.

Wabbitkilla

Wouldn't fit.

Take a look at the route the tail pipe takes and you will see what I mean.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

dj2k21

Quote from: "rbuckingham"I would say quieter as the stock system only has one box, this being the same as a back box on a boring car. You have to change the big box to another box for noise. A bit on the tail pipe will only make it look diferent.

I dont know about that bucks, the sheer diameter of it will make the sound resonate, adding a "jap can" to it in theory should make it louder?

2000MR-S

I can see both side of arguments about the noise being quieter or louder. but I think it will make it louder?
surely theres loads of people out there who've welded one on? in terms of fitting you can always weld, trim bumper so no issue there but torque loss wouldn't be worth the hassle??

dj2k21

On a turbo car the bigger the better for exhausts. On an na its quite crucial. The exhaust tip itself isnt crucial bit the exhaust system itself is. The mr2 has a rather long tail pipe as it were with the silencer being mounted quit high up behind the bumper so I do see bucks point. The only personal experience I have of that is my old megane coupe. I did the jap can thing and the only silencer on the rear was behind the cat, I left that in tact and welded the can on and it was louder for sure

Anonymous

Honestly this idea really is a waste of money. I have come to know a fair amount about these cars when I built my build instead of paying someone else to do it. ( not that its wrong to pay someone to do the work ). With all of the performance systems you can buy what is the actual difference between them? The answer is in the box and what frequencys it will resonate at. Janspeed built in a resonator to adjust the sounds. Anyway the only cheaper way is to cut out the stock box and weld in a smaller box will increase the sound without to much fuss with the power.

dj2k21

Yep I agree its a waste of money for sure, and yes I too know plenty about these cars, ive turbod and forged it etc etc but that's all irrelevant really. I think the op should take bucks advise tbh and not bother, just buy a decent exhaust system to start with lol

2000MR-S

Ok thanks for the advice guys!

Mark A

My CHE exhaust was about £200 imported from the states. I do like it but on occasions it gets on my nerves, very booming at 3k rpm, so something like you're suggesting would be a pita before too long

2000MR-S

Mark you got any link for the exhaust you bought? was postage and import tax expensive?
I have a Celica with performance exhaust at 91/92db and used to drive everyday no problem, I think it gets on your nervs and its really loud when something is at 98db.

Mark A

It's that loud and I do like the noise on over run as it pops and bangs but at 3k rpm because of the proximity of the exhaust it is a bit of a pain.

I used speed daddy  and i will try to find the ebay link

debasser167

Quote from: "2000MR-S"Just a thought, definitely performance wise not ideal but theoretically........ what would happen if you welded one of these stubby slash cut universal exhaust at the end pipe location of Stock exhaust?
 m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230960356143? ... 1423.l2649 m  
Would it go louder or quieter? and what would be a technical outcome? would back pressure increase really badly and damage engine, etbuc.?

I like my car to sound around 92/93dB but then I don't have £300/400 to splash out on exhaust systems....
I know it's not performance upgrade, but from technical point of view many exhaust systems on other cars have middle size mid section and then stubby end section, would it not be similar layout with stock box and stubby end section if welded together?

Above might sound like a stupid suggestion but thought I would ask anyway? some kind of technical reasoning/answers/feedback would be very appreciated.
Many thanks

I was going to post this up when my I fit this to the car so I could feedback on the results, but it fits well here. Anyway, I'm also after louder for cheaper. If you're a bit handy with a MIG welder you could try what I'm trying.
I managed to pick up an old OEM backbox on eBay for £15. I attacked it with an angle grinder to open it up. After getting over the shock that it't not actually a stainless exhaust, just a stainless clad (and very thin layer of stainless at that) mild steel exhaust, I chopped through the mild steel only to find a load of spot welds holding the bit I'd cut out on tight.

Once I'd got those ground down I could get the hatch that I'd cut out off and out of the way. I expected a lot more to be inside the backbox given the weight of it. But after a bit of a think and a cuppa I chopped out anything I could see that would be restrictive, leaving this:

The gases would have to flow through the inlet pipe holes, and through 3 perforated baffles (sorry no before pics but they looked quite restrictive) before flowing out of the exit pipe.

Anyway after the fun bit of chopping it up, I then had to weld it back together. The mild steel went on without too much of a problem and seam welded nicely, all air tight. The stainless was so thin that after a while of blowing holes in it, I just tacked it on and got 10-12 good tacks on it, then sealed it up with Holts Firegum around the seams of the stainless panel

Then I painted it with VHT paint and its ready to go on the car.

I doubt its going to make a massive difference, but this is my kinda fun. I'm hoping for a little more noise without getting silly, as its still standard at the moment! I'll try and take a before and after video of the standard vs. the modified box if anyone is interested. If its cr@p I'll just bin it!

Rich

Anonymous

So how did it sound then?

Pavett1990

I just hope that it doesn't sound like a car (mainly corsa/saxo) where the youngsters just unplug exhaust..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Japshow 2014 Organiser viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50853

If Speed Kills Me, Don\'t Cry Because I Was Smiling - Paul Walker

debasser167

Quote from: "350matt"So how did it sound then?
Not had chance to put it on yet. Got too many projects on at the moment!

Quote from: "Pavett1990"I just hope that it doesn't sound like a car (mainly corsa/saxo) where the youngsters just unplug exhaust..

Me too. I can't imagine it will, but If it does I'll just bin it!

Pavett1990

At least it was a cheapy off eBay not your back box.. So like you said it can be binned.. Hope it works for you mate

Japshow 2014 Organiser viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50853

If Speed Kills Me, Don\'t Cry Because I Was Smiling - Paul Walker

Gpdyna

Similar question here from a club newbie.

I've already read through loads of threads about induction kits and pipes n exhausts and I'm now confused   s:? :? s:?  

Having spent a number of years on Harley's I'm enjoying the quietness of my new weekend toy, but feel it could do with a little more noise. Some years ago I had an MX5 import that had an induction kit fitted so I would like a little noise without a lot of expense.
I'm about to fit a K & N filter, mainly coz I like them, but have read about a 'markiii pipe?? What is it, what's it do n where can I get one from?
55 plate, Black 43k, now 2nd owner all standard when bought. Since fitted K & N, Markiii pipe, Pioneer stereo, dial chrome rings, petrol cap ring, Zunsport front/rear grills, Dev\'s keyhole covers, mini lip spoiler, TTE exhaust, replacement headlights and fog lights with driving rings fitted. Widermuller control knobs slider knob and backing plate, hazard ring. Brushed stainless switch surrounds. New brake discs n pads all round.

mr mr2

Induction kit I got mine off eBay £100 posted from the USA makes a great noise
Excelsior

Zonda_

Quote from: "Gpdyna"Similar question here from a club newbie.

I've already read through loads of threads about induction kits and pipes n exhausts and I'm now confused   s:? :? s:?  

Having spent a number of years on Harley's I'm enjoying the quietness of my new weekend toy, but feel it could do with a little more noise. Some years ago I had an MX5 import that had an induction kit fitted so I would like a little noise without a lot of expense.
I'm about to fit a K & N filter, mainly coz I like them, but have read about a 'markiii pipe?? What is it, what's it do n where can I get one from?

A markiii pipe will not alter the noise level. It smooths the air path to the engine so the engine breathes a bit easier. Look in the group buy section on here.
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

chris3boro

Quote from: "Gpdyna"Similar question here from a club newbie.

The Markiii pipe is just a metal pipe which goes behind the rear bumper and is used to connect the air feed to the air box-the standard item is narrow and restrictive, the Markiii pipe is just wider to help air flow, and improve responsiveness a little. They add very little, if any, noise. It also isn't designed to be used with an induction kit, but a standard or k&n panel filter.

If you want real noise you need to go for an induction kit or an exhaust really-I have organised a group buy for Cobra and Powerflow exhausts on here (see the Group Buy section) if you want to go down the exhaust route, otherwise look online for an induction kit specifically for a Roadster  s:) :) s:)

Zonda_

Alternatively get a BMC style carbon airbox, loads cheaper than an induction kit and does actually benefit performance and gives the engine a lovely roar under load.
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

Tags: