Slippy Toyos

Started by dancarbon, July 15, 2003, 08:00

dancarbon

I've just had the wheels and discs replaced and took the oppotunity to fit some new tyres - Toyo Proxies, they look great.

The only thing is the car now seems very lively when cornering, it feels like the back end is moving around and is going to slip out on me, it hasn't yet, but it feels very different to the scalectrix car I used to have. It's dented my confidence a bit, and I'm just a bit paranoid that something isn't right.

I'm not taking about full-on racing speeds, just fairly fast road stuff. I've checked the pressures about 10 times and they are still 26/32, do they need to be higher with Proxies? And yes, the shiny surface has been well scrubbed off now, done about 150 miles.

Any advice  s:?: :?: s:?:
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

Anonymous

If, as you say, the release compound contamination has been scrubbed off, it may be worth trying a range of pressures to see if you get any improvement.  Personally I would try going down in pressure rather than up, initially.

The car is pretty light and I have always thought the recommended pressures seem on the high side, although have not done any experimentation, as on the standard Yokos, in the dry, grip is adequate.

I would keep the differential between front and back fairly static as that would maintain the balance of the car.

Just to give you an idea why I feel this way, on my Caterham Vauxhall which weighed in at 520kgs, running 185/60 x 13 Yokos, albeit very sticky ones, I used 20psi front and 17psi rear, and that produced a well balanced, grippy feel.

I know it is a different car, but just might be worth trying.

Sure it will get better, as you adapt to the tyres, anyway.  Others seem to swear by the Toyos.....

Good luck.

Andrew

dancarbon

I do think that maybe I'll have to adapt myself to the car.

I'll try some different pressures and see what happens.

Anonymous

Toyo's seem to take an inordinately long time to scrub in.  Don't worry, they'll be class in a week or two!

--H--

dancarbon

Thats reassuring H

Tags: