putting o2 sensor on a import that now has a uk spec engine

Started by Anonymous, June 19, 2004, 00:19

Anonymous

I  took the car to pinewood  at Brixton Hill they told me error code i think pl171 and 174 which is basically mav sensors air intake injectors etc etc a long list of thins which i have checked.  All roads are now pointing to the ECU, Fuel pump of faulty O2 sensors. I dont know what CEL is though! sorry! let me know?!

markiii

CEL is Check Engine Light

i.e the error codes, so yur both on teh same page.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Just trying to get hold of the parts to fix the car 02 sensors etc.  I phoned someone at toyota and they said that the ecu does not determine the fuel pressure  it only turns the fuel pump on. he also said that if i am running a jspec fuel pump with a uk spec engine that the  j spec pump is unlikely to be given it enough fuel as the jspec engine is more petrol efficient by a considerable degree. Help!!! is this true, some of it any of it , somebody?

GSB

Can someone with the engine manual take a look in the trouble shooting section and dig out the codes above, mines at Adams, and I'd like to be able to take a better guess at this problem
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "justyna"Just trying to get hold of the parts to fix the car 02 sensors etc.  I phoned someone at toyota and they said that the ecu does not determine the fuel pressure  it only turns the fuel pump on. he also said that if i am running a jspec fuel pump with a uk spec engine that the  j spec pump is unlikely to be given it enough fuel as the jspec engine is more petrol efficient by a considerable degree. Help!!! is this true, some of it any of it , somebody?

Load of bollocks.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Anonymous

It's running lean on both banks. Change the 02 sensors. Don't go to toyota they'll charge you a fortune. I'll dig out a place you can pick them up cheap.

Anonymous

m http://gendan.co.uk m  £35ea delivered.

GSB

Common factors between both banks.

1/ MAF sensor and intake temp unit.
2/ Fuel rail pressure

02 sensors are the only other item that could make it run lean, but at wide open throttle it should be running closed loop anyway, meaning the O2's are ignored by the ECU. i.e. it should run fine when your foots on the floor...
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

GSB

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"http://gendan.co.uk £35ea delivered.

not bad! and if you dont end up needing them, Sean always needs a ready supply!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

SteveJ

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"It's running lean on both banks. Change the 02 sensors. Don't go to toyota they'll charge you a fortune. I'll dig out a place you can pick them up cheap.

Before changing anything I would be tempted to get an emissions test done (if poss without the CATs in place) - if it's the O2 sensors that have kicked the proverbial bucket then the test will show up as running rich (the O2 will say the engine is lean so the ECU will increase the fuel until it reaches max adjustment which then causes the CEL). If it's the fuel rail/fuel pump/injectors the test will show as running lean as the engine is genuinely running lean.

Saves changing bits for the sake of it.

SteveJ

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"http://members.cox.net/dbatchelor2/obdiicodes.pdf for codes

Or you could use the articles section on the MR2ROC site  s:? :? s:?  http://www.mr2roc.org/content/articles/OBD2/obd2.php

Anonymous

Quote from: "SteveJ"
Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"http://members.cox.net/dbatchelor2/obdiicodes.pdf for codes

Or you could use the articles section on the MR2ROC site  s:? :? s:?  http://www.mr2roc.org/content/articles/OBD2/obd2.php

It was Grant that asked for the codes, that was just the link i had on my PC at work.  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  Perhaps we don't all know everything.  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

I wish i had waited  for a response before running to buy a fuel pump!! dont worry it was  from a breakers!! but i still feel as if i chucked away 40 quid for nothing! You guessed it it didnt solve the problem!!  They have however got the ECU that came out of the same car as the engine maybe i'll swap it for that unless any one wants the pump!!. Ok so the next stop is the O2 sensor which i am just  about to purchase. Thanks for the links guys let you know as soon as i fitted them if its worked!!

The engine light seems to appear only when i am going up  a gradient when i apply more pressure i suppose and normally when I am in fourth gear.  I dont know if this information helps just thought i would add this.  thanks again love Justina

Anonymous

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:   the o2 sensors all though universal cannot work with my car but thanks for the link though!! does anyone no where i can get theses sensors from.  Any one scrapping a car let me know please Thanks!!

Anonymous

Got the sensors now!!! fingers crossed

Anonymous

It wasnt the sensors i was so depressed i had to take a break i'm afraid  so now i am back to the mav sensor and the ECU I ran to get the ECU out of the same car but alas  no keys.   A little dickie bird said that there is space on theECU for two more that is assuming that the person  who owned it before hadnt lost both  of theirs.

So I tried it if it would start anyway, obviously it didnt!! BUt before i cut the keys i think i'll tryswapping the ecu with someone elses just to se if the problem goes!

Thanks for all your support you guys are great!!

Anonymous

hey everybody it was the maf sensor!!!!!   s:D :D s:D  

thanks!!!!

Anonymous

Just read this post for the first time.  What a saga, glad you solved it in the end though!

Andy

GSB

I took a look over this car the other night, and 2 things occured to me...

If you try to install a UK Engine in to a J-spec car, you need to use a J-spec ECU. The UK ECU will require the original keys to disable the immobiliser, which you rarely get with a second hand ECU. Even if you did, the Jspec car lacks the immobiliser reciever in the steering column, and the immobiliser wiring, so it still wont work.

The engine started on the button, and idled fine, but when the throttle was press it either died away until you lifted off again, or revved up a little bit with the most horrendous misfire... The only codes generated were for Lean running on Bank 1 and 2. The BGB lists Fuel pressure, air intake leaks, bad ECU, duff O2 sensors, blocked injectors, and bad MAF sensor as possible causes.

As shitty luck would have it Justyna had replaced everything but the MAF sensor...  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Another thing was that the car was vaguely familiar to me. Red, Aftermarket alloys, TRD spoiler and 3rd brakelight blanking plate, TRD bodykit, AEM intake, and Team Moon exhaust. It also has one of the very first MR2ROC windscreen stickers in it, from way back when we were on Yahoo! Groups... Very Retro.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

SteveJ

Quote from: "GSB"I took a look over this car the other night, and 2 things occured to me...

If you try to install a UK Engine in to a J-spec car, you need to use a J-spec ECU. The UK ECU will require the original keys to disable the immobiliser, which you rarely get with a second hand ECU. Even if you did, the Jspec car lacks the immobiliser reciever in the steering column, and the immobiliser wiring, so it still wont work.

Another thing was that the car was vaguely familiar to me. Red, Aftermarket alloys, TRD spoiler and 3rd brakelight blanking plate, TRD bodykit, AEM intake, and Team Moon exhaust. It also has one of the very first MR2ROC windscreen stickers in it, from way back when we were on Yahoo! Groups... Very Retro.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Thats Adam's old car then.

GSB

Quote from: "SteveJ"Thats Adam's old car then.

Yep, I popped in to see the man himself on the way back...

markiii

[ADMIN] thread locked a continued here  m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ht=#191027 m  under new user name [ADMIN]
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tags: