Why do my sensors keep blowing

Started by Pavett1990, April 29, 2013, 20:54

Pavett1990

Hey guys I'm having a bit of a problem...

My EML has come on again reading P0155..

This will now be the 5th sensor in 4 months...

Why does this happen? What can I do to stop it and should I be worried about this?

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Japshow 2014 Organiser viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50853

If Speed Kills Me, Don\'t Cry Because I Was Smiling - Paul Walker

Two's Company

Are you doing a lot of high speed motorway driving? Mine used to burn out for fun when I was doing 500 miles a week.

Pavett1990

I'm not mate.. If I'm honest car doesn't go over 5k revs to be honest.. Around 65mph on average

carolineasb

Are you using excessive fuel? Have you had coolant temperature sensor checked?
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

carolineasb

A bit puzzled that you mentioned about 5K revs   s:( :( s:(  , even our Oldie (2001 PFL 5 spd) would be probably only doing at near 3.5-4K revs (if that) when doing top motorway mph and Newbie (2006 FL 6 spd) would be likely to be below the 3K mark
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

Wabbitkilla

What sensors are you buying and fitting?
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Pavett1990

I mean in total it hasn't been over 5k revs in any gear lol..

I haven't had that sensor checked would that effect o2s?

And denso mate

Markb

Any damaged or melted wiring possibly touching bare metal.

Pavett1990

Not that I can see.. I'm really confused and frustrated  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

spit

It does sound odd. What have your previous codes been? If its always a heater circuit thing, have you checked the old sensors with a multimeter to confirm they are in fact knackered? It could be that they're OK and you have a fault in the feed/return harness wiring. Just a thought, but one worth checking out given how many your car has eaten!

Generally, O2s have a hard life. Their lifespan can shorten dramatically with overheating, oil contamination (accelerating the overheating) and vibration. Also from being knocked about (eg during install/removal).
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

AndyM

I know this doesn't directly help but I definitely think there's something else amiss here mate other than general engine usage.

I drive mine pretty hard (higher speeds daily on my commute and I do like to get into the revy/noisy/fun zone quite often) and I haven't had any trouble with mine over the 3000 ish miles I've done over the last 2 months.

I know one of mine was done fairly close to me buying the car but there are no records of any others in the receipts.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

kentsmudger

Quote from: "AndyM"I know this doesn't directly help but I definitely think there's something else amiss here mate other than general engine usage.

I drive mine pretty hard (higher speeds daily on my commute and I do like to get into the revy/noisy/fun zone quite often) and I haven't had any trouble with mine over the 3000 ish miles I've done over the last 2 months.

I know one of mine was done fairly close to me buying the car but there are no records of any others in the receipts.

Me too -There has to be a reason for the failures - I had no idea they were a regular problem for some owners - I have had my car since 2007 - Have used it daily, done track-days and it gets used pretty hard ie red-lined regularly (just not from cold) - In over 60,000 miles I have never had to replace a sensor

Not much help for the OP though, sorry
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Pavett1990

It's alright all info is appreciated I can't understand why they all blowing I am getting same code every time.. P0155

onion86

I've now had two '2s since 2008, one had a turbo on for 3.5 years so overheating would have been made worse; also had them in and out more times than I can remember and never had a sensor go. Had the new one a year and a bit and had a P0141 after maybe 2000 miles of ownership, could possibly just depend on the car but they are quite common to go (post cat one which the MR-S didn't have).

Definitely check your bank 2 wiring as suggested for constant power. Not sure if it's been said but have you tried swapping sensors over after getting it to see if the code switches to bank 1 and the sensors are definitely foobard, as if the code stays in the same place it's not the sensor?

Hope you find the problem Ash, shelling £70 every few weeks isn't exactly cheap!
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Anonymous

Broken wire could cause it making you think the sensor is dead and its not. I'll see if I can find it but I got some info that should tell you how to test all of the actual components.

Pavett1990

Brilliant guys thanks.. Yea changed sensors over and code changes :/

Pavett1990

Ok so today iv given my car a nice drive and pushed it a little bit.. Parked my car up for half hour gone back up to go to the missus house and the EML has gone off? Driven it half hour and no sign? Any ideas? Or can a failed O2 sensor fix itself so to say?

Paul-B

I had the same problem with my EML... Matt checked it out and traced it to a part-broken wire from one of the sensors which was occasionally breaking the connection. Joined it properly and now no EML.

Pavett1990

Cool ill have a look thanks

Tags: