Only 220 miles to a full tank!!!

Started by Anonymous, June 20, 2004, 19:14

Anonymous

im left scratching my head as im unsure why my 2 is running rich. the engine is fine, and it doesnt use hardly any oil.

Ive cleaned the MAF
Cleaned the o2's
Ran 'dry tank' stuff through
Ran injecor cleaning stuff through
Reset the ECU numerous times

i always use shell unleaded (95 RON i think)

i dont drive it hard, and always let the engine warm up properley before opening up the engine

Bongo

Have you checked your tyre pressures?

Anonymous

checked them today mate:

front: both 22psi
rear: 32 and 21  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

cant see that making that much of a difference though?

Anonymous

What mods do you have?

Anonymous

only mod ive got is ive removed the elbow pipe. but again, i cant see this making a substantial difference as people who have induction kits havn't reported low MPG

Bongo

Put it back on and try it out  s:P :P s:P

Got to be worth it, just so you can eliminate that  s:) :) s:)

edit: i can see it making a difference as you're pulling in hot air (and not compensating by pulling in more air like the induction kit).

MRMike

Quote from: "Tomr2"only mod ive got is ive removed the elbow pipe. but again, i cant see this making a substantial difference as people who have induction kits havn't reported low MPG

Can't see it being that personally as it would have to be letting in significantly more air.

I know it might sound obvious but does the car appear to be leaking fuel? Do the fuel lines look good?

Have you measured the MPG by the way? If so what figure are you geting, and what type of driving do you normally do? Urban?
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

havnt checked the fuel lines, where abouts are they? i dont suppose you would notice leaking petrol on your drive way as it evaporates very quickly.

how do i work out my MPG?

I always do short journeys (around 4 miles at a time) round town

Anonymous

one thing that may be worth of mention is i get a very low idle when warm - around 500rpm

Tem

Have you checked your brakes lately...? Stuck pad could cause that as well...

Also, did this just change recently, or has it been like this for long..?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

MRMike

Quote from: "Tomr2"havnt checked the fuel lines, where abouts are they? i dont suppose you would notice leaking petrol on your drive way as it evaporates very quickly.

how do i work out my MPG?

I always do short journeys (around 4 miles at a time) round town

Short journeys use a dissproportionate amount of petrol, could be the cause of your fuel consumption problems.  

To measure the MPG note the amount of fuel you put in, and divide that by the amount of miles you do.
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

dont think its brake related tem as it rolls in nutral fine.

been like this since i got it, had it around 3 months now

Tem

Quote from: "Tomr2"dont think its brake related tem as it rolls in nutral fine.

You probably won't notice a stuck pad in rolling, unless you can compare to car that doesn't have it  s;) ;) s;)  Been there done that  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  I think it's worth checking..
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

mike, i put around 38 litres of fuel in, so do i do 38L divide by 220?? this comes out as 0.17272.......

i drove exactly the same with my last car, a ford puma 1.7, and had no problems with fuel consumtion

mph

Got a turbo attached?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   That's my normal mileage   s:!: :!: s:!:  

Pre-turbo I'd normally get about 250 on roads, 150 on track and 350-400 doing long trips on motorways.

220 would be an awful lot of 2nd and 3rd gear WOT driving but entirely possible.

If that's not the case, add to the list of possible problems a faulty injector..
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

MRMike

Tom Is yours a Jap import ? Does the J Spec have a smaller tank than the UK cars? I can't remember..As I've seen this done on a few other makes...That might explain your lower figure for a tank?

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

ive always thought im paying the same MPG as a turbo!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  most of the time i drive quite econoical, as soon as im over 30mph im in 5th! d say my driving style is 80% economy, 20% over 5k reves  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:   (if that really)

Anonymous

Correct me if I'm wrong (sure someone will)   s:D :D s:D  

For MPG you need miles (220) divided by gallons.

38 litres is 8.4 gallons (I think it is 4.55l per gallon)

so 220 divided by 8.4 gives 26.2

Town driving will be a major cause of the low fuel consumption. I got about 10 mpg less in town than on the mway in the Volvo which had a fuel comp.

Brochure figures are:

Urban: 28mpg
Extra Urban: 47.9
Combined: 38.2

Anonymous

yes it is a jap import, i cant imagine it have an even smaller tank to a uk 2 tho! i know the uk is 45 litres so the japs would be stupid to make it any smaller!

what is extra urban? country roads? or motorway?

heathstimpson

Quote from: "TheRaven"Correct me if I'm wrong (sure someone will)   s:D :D s:D  

For MPG you need miles (220) divided by gallons.

38 litres is 8.4 gallons (I think it is 4.55l per gallon)

so 220 divided by 8.4 gives 26.2

Town driving will be a major cause of the low fuel consumption. I got about 10 mpg less in town than on the mway in the Volvo which had a fuel comp.

Brochure figures are:

Urban: 28mpg
Extra Urban: 47.9
Combined: 38.2
And you will never get as good as the book figures with normal driving. Short journeys are the worse case for bad fuel consumption due to the engine always being cold. 26MPG in this situation sounds about right.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

MRMike

Quote from: "Tomr2"yes it is a jap import, i cant imagine it have an even smaller tank to a uk 2 tho! i know the uk is 45 litres so the japs would be stupid to make it any smaller!

what is extra urban? country roads? or motorway?

Yeah fuel tanks are the same at 45 litres..TBO 26mpg for predominantly town driving is not rediculously out IMO.

Then.. Blue 350Z
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

True! 26 isn't too far off 28 anyway    s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Just checked my mpg on a 3/4 tank fill up, 36.5 mpg   s:D :D s:D  
I am well happy with that. Still running in so being fairly gentle with only a few spirited moments...  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  
My daily commute consists of a 32 mile round trip, twisty 'b' roads and a bit of 'a' road driving. I normally recon to get around 3mpg less than the combined published figures in other cars i've owned.
Town driving will hammer the figures though, as will short journeys.
I was going to buy a RX8, owners have reported mpg of around 18   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
As for your problem Tomr2, try filling up until the petrol pump cuts out. Zero the odo and go for a drive under different conditions from your normal drive. Then fill up at the same pump, 'till it cuts out, and make a note of the litres. Divide by 4.546 for gallons and work out the mpg. Achieving the published figures in nigh-on impossible in my experience.

aaronjb

Quote from: "mph"Pre-turbo I'd normally get about 250 on roads, 150 on track and 350-400 doing long trips on motorways.

Crikey.. 240 was about average for me around town, motorways seems to be 270-300 to a tank if it's mostly cruising.. And there was me thinking that was quite good!
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "CrazyDave"I was going to buy a RX8, owners have reported mpg of around 18   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

I thought about it too, but for various reasons ended up with the Leon, and still only get ~19-20mpg    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

To come back on-topic though, I used to rarely get more than 250 out of a tank on the Roadster, and that was almost entirely urban commuting (read: stuck in traffic).

Tags: