Only 220 miles to a full tank!!!

Started by Anonymous, June 20, 2004, 19:14

dancarbon

This might help your calculations:

m http://www.guycroft.clara.net/utils/mpg.html m
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

mph

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "mph"Pre-turbo I'd normally get about 250 on roads, 150 on track and 350-400 doing long trips on motorways.

Crikey.. 240 was about average for me around town, motorways seems to be 270-300 to a tank if it's mostly cruising.. And there was me thinking that was quite good!
Ah, the benefits of the Unichip you see!

By optimizing the timing for your individual engine (+mods), your fuel is used more efficiently and so your MPG will get better as a result. How many times do I have to say that one of these is about the best value-for-money mod out there?      s:) :) s:)
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

Isn't that the case with most modifications to increase performance, especially head work...? Your engine is running much more efficiently, so it you drove it the same as usual you'd get better mpg.. but of course with extra horsepower to play with, that never happens!   s8) 8) s8)  

Tim

EDIT: Oh, and on topic, I can't understand how some people are getting over 300miles out of a tank! I fill up until the pump shuts off, usually round it to the nearest 50p, and then drive until the light comes on.. about 270 miles later! I guess there's another 20/30 miles in the reserve, but I never like to risk it on the motorway..

My daily drive is about 2 miles of gentle town driving, 15 miles of 3800rpm (ahem!) cruising on the motorway, then 4 miles of dual carriageway and a couple of roundabouts. I guess I'm nearing the red line occasionally on the way home across town, but even so.. the motorway miles should make up for that!

Oh well, there are a hundred other cars with better fuel economy, but I know what I want to be driving this summer!   s:D :D s:D

aaronjb

Quote from: "mph"How many times do I have to say that one of these is about the best value-for-money mod out there?      s:) :) s:)

Well if you'd like to donate the cost of one (and fitting) into my account, I'll try it out for myself  s;) ;) s;)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

One day.. when it's out of warranty.. And I'm making some money again  s:) :) s:)  Paying the mortgage comes first, and all that..

Anyway.. straying OT now, so I'll shurrup  s:) :) s:)

A.
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

My MPG went to about 200 before my engine finally popped. If it becomes an issue I'd take it in before its too late.

Anonymous

dont start scaring me darkstar!  s:( :( s:(   its not as if ive only just started getting those MPG's though. i check the oil regularly and its always fine, never drops. i keep saying this to myself, but i do keep meaning to gut the ol' pre cats, actually im quite looking forward to it now!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Bongo

US MPG will always be lower due to the fact there's less in a US Gallon than a UK Gallon - so there's no real comparison.

I covered 400 miles today in one tank of fuel.   s:D :D s:D  

I was driving a 306 Diesel   s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

It must be the type of driving. I usually fill up around 220-250 if im lucky. Yesterday i went to Alton Towers and did a 220 mile round trip and only used half a tank!

Anonymous

b*rstard!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

lol! And i wasnt hanging around either!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

Just put a full tank in and zeroed the meter. I'll let you know how I get on. Some of you must have very light right feet!

Anonymous

conclusion: the '2 must love motorways, and hate round town driving!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

heathstimpson

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"It must be the type of driving. I usually fill up around 220-250 if im lucky. Yesterday i went to Alton Towers and did a 220 mile round trip and only used half a tank!
220 miles on half a tank  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  I use a tank for that mileage commuting on the M1
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Liz

Mine does really good mileage on motorways, almost like it is sipping the petrol, I do mostly what I think the official figures would call a combination of driving, urban onto National speed limit A roads, I normally get about 320 out of a tank which I don't think is bad, I judge that after filling up, I do 90 on the first quarter, 180 by the time that I get to half and 270 at a quarter left, then the petrol light comes on shortly after that  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

How many miles to a tank you get is largely going to be governed by your right foot though, when I first had the pre-cats gutted I did use more petrol, just for the pleasure of hearing the noise that it made.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

do you get a better noise even with the standard exhaust box?

Anonymous

Ok -

Filled up when the fuel light came on and drove till in came on again.
Real mix of driving. Mway, a roads roof up and roof down A/C on/off etc...

Result - 325miles.  I make that about 37mpg (ISH)

Anyone know how many miles we get once the light comes on.

Me thinks 220 is too low.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "TheRaven"Ok -

Me thinks 325miles is too high; put your foot down son  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "TheRaven"Anyone know how many miles we get once the light comes on.

ive got 30 miles with the light on, but i wouldnt recommend you go trying anything like that as the needle was quite a bit passed the 'E' mark.

someone worked out my mpg on here and it was 26, the official figures for urban driving which is what i do are 28mpg

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Quote from: "TheRaven"Ok -

Me thinks 325miles is too high; put your foot down son  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Nice - I thought the club didn't condone speeding.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Done my mpg 3 times and got mid 30's each time.

If I didn't know better I'd think I wasn't using the whole rev band.   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

QuoteIf I didn't know better I'd think I wasn't using the whole rev band.   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

i think the '2 loves to be revved, i find myself constantly bouncing off the limiter, it revs round so quickly!  s:D :D s:D  

[/quote]

Bongo

and then wonder why you only get 220 miles to a tank?  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

ah, BUT! this isnt too often and most of the time i am criusing at 30-35mph in fifth!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Darth Paul

Quote from: "Tomr2"ah, BUT! this isnt too often and most of the time i am criusing at 30-35mph in fifth!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

30-35 in fifth?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:? :? s:?  That explains my woeful mpg figures. I'm still in second till 35! Just love the sound of the TTE and A'pexi...

heathstimpson

Quote from: "TheRaven2"Nice - I thought the club didn't condone speeding.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

You don't have to speed when you put your foot down.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   If I have  slow motorway driving (50ish) as it can be, the best I can get is about 290miles to a tank. The figures stated in the literature are a little high really as I believe the commuting figure is quoted @ about 50MPG. I think the best I've ever got is 36MPG and that is driving reasonably sensibly which the car is not made to do. Its a sports beast for hitting those bends with and using the rev range, within speed limits and taking into safety considerations of course  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I wonder if there is a difference with the pre and post '03 models with the different wheel size, six speed box etc as it looks as if the pre cars are more economical  s:?: :?: s:?:

Anonymous

I've seen this quite a few times now, when my petrol light comes on (at around 300), i fill up, i can only ever get 38-40 litres in there - apparently its a 48l tank though.

Tags: