Started my sub build

Started by Pavett1990, May 6, 2013, 17:51

Pavett1990

Hey guys iv been toying with the idea of having a "boot build" for some years now and I have finally decided to do it..

I went today and bought some MDF

Forgive the ears was a bit of a rush

Started to draw around the doors i took off just for a rough idea

I don't know what to do as to covering it..

I'm debating just a black cloth

Or

Get the rising sun printed on vinyl and stick it down to look like this

What you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Japshow 2014 Organiser viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50853

If Speed Kills Me, Don\'t Cry Because I Was Smiling - Paul Walker

Pavett1990

Wow that's close

StuC

How much material is left outside of the circles?
That would potentially create a weak point, it is likely to break moving it about. Unless you are careful everything.  s:-( :-( s:-(

What size are those?

How do you plan to seal the rear bins?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Pavett1990

It's all in working progress at the mo still trying to work things out.. They are 12" at the moment may need to get 10" instead.. I'm thinking of using rubber sealant around the doors and audio filler inside

StuC

Audio filler?
That's a new one on me.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Pavett1990

There is a name for it I just cat remember it haha

Anonymous

With the idea you got even 10" it will be too week, unless you build it into a box to give the panel back its strength.

Pavett1990

I am thinking about building it into a Box within the bins.. It's all still on drawing board at the moment

Anonymous

Ash, i still believe you deserve the NUTTER award for doing this!

If it works, then fair play! But i think you might have been better off with smaller subs in propper sealed boxes.

Pavett1990

I will accept the award when it works  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  the subs I have are JBL so I'm sure there's someone out there who will swap their 2x10" for my 2x12" if it doesn't.. Ill see what happens haha.. But iv already had stern warnings off the missus haha

AndyM

Ash, just my 2p worth (I also think you're a nutter  s;) ;) s;)  ) but...

I would concentrate on getting a box at the right volume to fit into the bins, then build a simple facia (similar to what you're doing there) to make it look good. That way it wouldn't be carrying any load so the thin sides will be less of an issue.

I definitely don't think you'll be able to get a good seal with so little material left around the edges to make it work well otherwise, aside from the strength issue of having two heavy subs that are banging about supported by it.

Best of luck though, interesting build!  s:D :D s:D
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Flipside

I've been thinking about doing this, I have 2 memphis 12's sat in my loft that need 1 cubic ft each, so would be a squeeze, if at all,  anyone ever got 2 12's in?
2001 low mileage, mods: K&N 57i gen 2, toyosports manifold and Cobra twin exhaust, unichip. Colour coded side vents and spoiler.  not forgetting the ICE Install, stock sony head unit, sony xa300 aux input, bluetooth connection, 4 channel hertz digital amp, 2 channel hertz ep2 amp, mb quart components, hertz 10" subwoofer in the bins and UD JL 6.5 in sub. Boom!

Pavett1990

Quote from: "AndyM"Ash, just my 2p worth (I also think you're a nutter  s;) ;) s;)  ) but...

I would concentrate on getting a box at the right volume to fit into the bins, then build a simple facia (similar to what you're doing there) to make it look good. That way it wouldn't be carrying any load so the thin sides will be less of an issue.

I definitely don't think you'll be able to get a good seal with so little material left around the edges to make it work well otherwise, aside from the strength issue of having two heavy subs that are banging about supported by it.

Best of luck though, interesting build!  s:D :D s:D

Thanks for your input mate I'm looking at it now and I'm thinking that iv already mis calculated.. I have gone around the outside of the doors which I have noticed there is a few MM more I can use plus in the pic I have drawn around the outside of the sub again gives me another inch of play so it's starting to look good again..  s:D :D s:D  I'm hoping to have this done by Saturday but I'm not 100% sure that will be possible yet but I will keep you all upto date

Quote from: "Flipside"I've been thinking
about doing this, I have 2 memphis 12's sat in my loft that need 1 cubic ft each, so would be a squeeze, if at all,  anyone ever got 2 12's in?

Yea def worth a go mate.. Keep an eye here see how it goes... Should give you an idea lol but iv had a look iv seen a few 2s with 2 subs but I don't think there's a 2 with 2x12" subs tho

Anonymous

A quick hint... run the wiring first!!!

Where are you putting the amp?

Pavett1990

I was thinking behind the build but if something goes wrong I'm in trouble so I'm thinking under the drivers seat or similar

Anonymous

Again. Good luck finding an amp that fits under the seat.

Pavett1990

Lol.. I will do this.. I will defeat it  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Flipside

Ill be watching this, hope you do it.  Then I can nick all the measurements haha

The only way I can think with 2 12s is too have the box protruding out of the bins a few inches,  

Good luck with it
2001 low mileage, mods: K&N 57i gen 2, toyosports manifold and Cobra twin exhaust, unichip. Colour coded side vents and spoiler.  not forgetting the ICE Install, stock sony head unit, sony xa300 aux input, bluetooth connection, 4 channel hertz digital amp, 2 channel hertz ep2 amp, mb quart components, hertz 10" subwoofer in the bins and UD JL 6.5 in sub. Boom!

Pavett1990

Yeah my dad mentioned a couple of things and he's having a think today so hopefully he's had some ideas

Anonymous

Have you considered taking out the passenger seat?  Or installing them in the roof.

Pavett1990

Lol  s;) ;) s;)  

Pavett1990

It fits

Anonymous

.... i dont see no subs in yet :p

Pavett1990

At the moment I have mis matched subs but that will be sorted pay day  s:D :D s:D  

Anonymous

What did you need the hammer for jerremy clarkson

Tags: