what a day!

Started by amz91, May 11, 2013, 21:31

amz91

So got up early for ding day gave the car a wipe down and I was on my way.
Engine light came on on the A500 flashing every so often then constant   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  .
Had to ring RAC come look basically the fault found on the code reader was a misfire in cylinder 1 but swapped coils and still said cylinder one misfire pretty sure he swapped spark plugs and still the same.
Followed me to my local garage he said on Monday he will change spark plugs, if no luck a coil pack maybe compression test  s:? :? s:?  scared of spending loads going round the houses!
Any of you ever had this before ?
Want take it to matt but sort of been talked into seeing my local garage Monday   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  
(he has been good to me in the past but my gut feeling is its going cost me just for him doing process of elimination where as matt will probably get to the problem quicker)
Also after getting to the garage the first time abs light flashing loads but that seems to have stopped now.

Any theories welcome   s:) :) s:)
Blue 2000 pfl roadster, gutted pre cats, The Ultimate Gear Shift Cable Bushings, Markii pipe, devs door sills, MR2 leather armrest, JDM bonnet badge, sp body brace, edge speakers, powder coated alloys, Vogtland lowering springs, ROC drop links, EBC brake pads, toyo proxes, FL side vents, FL door arms, FL control unit... more to follow \":)\"

mrzwei

If it's not plugs or coils then you still need to eliminate the injector on No.1
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

2 of the left

Quote from: "mrzwei"If it's not plugs or coils then you still need to eliminate the injector on No.1
+1
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

E

the ABS flashing was the code reader still plugged into the socket when the car was started if so this makes the ABS flash for no apparent reason.

amz91

Quote from: "E"the ABS flashing was the code reader still plugged into the socket when the car was started if so this makes the ABS flash for no apparent reason.

Even after the code reader has been removed?
Blue 2000 pfl roadster, gutted pre cats, The Ultimate Gear Shift Cable Bushings, Markii pipe, devs door sills, MR2 leather armrest, JDM bonnet badge, sp body brace, edge speakers, powder coated alloys, Vogtland lowering springs, ROC drop links, EBC brake pads, toyo proxes, FL side vents, FL door arms, FL control unit... more to follow \":)\"

amz91

Quote from: "mrzwei"If it's not plugs or coils then you still need to eliminate the injector on No.1
Could I possible do this myself before I have to take it back?

ChrisGB

Swap the injectors round to see if the misfire moves to another cylinder.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Anonymous

Swap the coil packs not injectors they an arse to seal.

loadswine

I think Amy has already tried switching the coil packs Rich.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

amz91

Quote from: "loadswine"I think Amy has already tried switching the coil packs Rich.

Yeah I have tried this, how do you swap injectors? Never done this before

Anonymous

There is a simple test you can try without stripping the injectors out, get a long screwdriver and use it like a stethoscope on each injector as the engine is running, you should hear a ticking noise if all is ok..... no tick..... no work   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Then you can replace the faulty injector, but you really need to know what you are doing as leaking seals + petrol ain't a good combination   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Les

Anonymous

might of missed the coil swap bit. Then its likely the injector, the click is very clear doing les's method. The other thing thinking of it, what side of the engine did mister RAC man play with as its common for mechanics to look into our engine bays and look left for number one, when its actually on the right.

amz91

On the right first then just to make sure he tried the left :-/ I was hoping it just b a plug but wasn't to lucky  s:-( :-( s:-(  il give that screwdriver trick ago  s:-D :-D s:-D

amz91

Where am I putting the screwdriver to hear the ticking?

Think it my actually be misfiring now looking and hearing the exhaust it's juddering  s:-( :-( s:-(

Reme

Place it on the injector itself and the other end of the screwdriver to your ear. You should hear it clicking.

Anonymous

If it's juddering too much to get the screwdriver in place just bring the rev's up a little till it's smoother

amz91

All injectors were ticking,
I think mr RAC man had a dodgy spark plug...
Iv just fitted all new plugs wiped down the coils abit disconnected the battery for 30mins. Just gone out for a little run feel like its running better and no light has come on! So fingers crossed its done! Touch wood!

FGrob

I'm sure I went past you yesterday on the A50 near Crewe - about 2.30, if so do you work in Leek as your car looked familiar.

Plus if you need a second opinion just give me a shout.

Rob.
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

amz91

I now have a noise from the engine trying upload a video but can't  s:-( :-( s:-(

amz91

No I don't work in leek rob but I'm always at a friends house over here  :-) :-) :-)

amz91

Iv uploaded to YouTube here is the link
 m http://youtu.be/HIyFX6o_dYI m
You can here the engine ticking over but then that noise in the background

FGrob

Quote from: "amz91"No I don't work in leek rob but I'm always at a friends house over here  :-) :-) :-)
I've just noticed you only had it since March so it can't be you - but was that you yesterday on the A50??
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

amz91

Don't think so matey I was on the a500 going to ding put pulled up waiting RAC think I was back in biddulph by half two

amz91

Quote from: "FGrob"Plus if you need a second opinion just give me a shout.

Rob.
Do you know what this noise could be
 m http://youtu.be/HIyFX6o_dYI m

FGrob

Quote from: "amz91"Don't think so matey I was on the a500 going to ding put pulled up waiting RAC think I was back in biddulph by half two
Sorry I ment A500 - I was coming back from the Ding Day at around 2.00pm.

That engine still sounds like it's got a misfire, what colour were the plugs when you pulled them out?

Tags: