what a day!

Started by amz91, May 11, 2013, 21:31

Anonymous

Always difficult to diagnose without being there but it almost sounds like the inlet manifold is hanging off???

amz91

All abit dirty one was black though
Blue 2000 pfl roadster, gutted pre cats, The Ultimate Gear Shift Cable Bushings, Markii pipe, devs door sills, MR2 leather armrest, JDM bonnet badge, sp body brace, edge speakers, powder coated alloys, Vogtland lowering springs, ROC drop links, EBC brake pads, toyo proxes, FL side vents, FL door arms, FL control unit... more to follow \":)\"

FGrob

Quote from: "amz91"All abit dirty one was black though
which cylinder?
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

amz91

Quote from: "FGrob"
Quote from: "amz91"Don't think so matey I was on the a500 going to ding put pulled up waiting RAC think I was back in biddulph by half two
Sorry I ment A500 - I was coming back from the Ding Day at around 2.00pm.

That engine still sounds like it's got a misfire, what colour were the plugs when you pulled them out?
Could of been driving to ding day again at that point so possibly  :-) :-) :-)
Blue 2000 pfl roadster, gutted pre cats, The Ultimate Gear Shift Cable Bushings, Markii pipe, devs door sills, MR2 leather armrest, JDM bonnet badge, sp body brace, edge speakers, powder coated alloys, Vogtland lowering springs, ROC drop links, EBC brake pads, toyo proxes, FL side vents, FL door arms, FL control unit... more to follow \":)\"

amz91

which cylinder?
Not to sure now  s:? :? s:?  Possibly 3 or 4

FGrob

Quote from: "amz91"
which cylinder?
Now is that the RAC 3 / 4 or the Toyota 3 /4 (left side of engine looking down at it)??  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Also does the noise go when you rev it, is the engine smooth still ? Have you checked the new plugs for black deposits since you put them in?
Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

amz91

Quote from: "amz91"
Quote from: "FGrob"which cylinder?
Now is that the RAC 3 / 4 or the Toyota 3 /4 (left side of engine looking down at it)??  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Also does the noise go when you rev it, is the engine smooth still ? Have you checked the new plugs for black deposits since you put them in?
Getting confused haha, left side, and yh it goes when driving revving you only notice it when you pull up and no not checked :-/

Anonymous

I remember what the sound is like now, it's the same as when you run the engine with a spark plug out of the cylinder, might be a burned out/sticky valve   s:( :( s:(

amz91

Just had a quick look at the plugs the one on the left is the dirtiest out of them all, when I got back from the little run out I got out of the car and there was a smell coming from the engine,

so which one do you think the valve or the coil ?

So looking down at the engine the cylinders go in 1,2,3,4 not 4,3,2,1 like the RAC man thought?

amz91

Thinking about ringing Toyota for this part
 Part no is 12204-22051 (Valve Sub-Assy)
Read on a different thread this cured the misfire ect
So I'm thinking its either that or a coil ?

mrzwei

Quote from: "amz91"so which one do you think the valve or the coil ?

Any chance of a pic of the plugs after a run?
If you've already swapped the coil and the error code didn't move with it, then it's not the coil.
A compression test would probably identify a valve problem but do the easy stuff first.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

amz91

Right so checked all injectors and there all ticking, changed plugs, RAC swapped coils still cylinder 1. So next should be a compression test.
Why has me changing the plugs stopped the engine light coming on?

ChrisGB

A failed injector that is not ticking would have the car running on 3 cylinders, but a partially clogged or fouled injector can still tick, but can also dribble too much fuel, pass too little or fail to atomise the fuel properly. This can lead to a misfire that is obvious at low speed but gets masked at higher speeds. Good luck getting it sorted, hope it is not an expensive fix.

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

amz91

Thanks chris, I know I'm dreading the bill  s:-( :-( s:-(  that's why I'm trying do as much as I can first going ask for a compression test today I think.
Never bin this bothered about my other cars iv just dropped it off at the garage and waited for a call but with my 2 I'm stressing and want it done  :-) :-) :-)

amz91

one mechanic thinks it could be the headgasket   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:    s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:    s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:    s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

Anonymous

Get a second opinion if I was you. Being your location it might be worth it speaking to matt.

nathanMR2

Take it to someone who knows these cars. I'm sick of these so called mechanics coming up with all kinds of rubbish. I don't know if its to try and fleece money from you or they pluck stuff out of thin air.

Head gasket would be very unlikely in my opinion.
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

amz91

Been speaking to Matt along with the mechanic all day we think the only other thing could be the injector so think Matt is going send me one as the part alone would of cost £130+vat.
I brought the car off matt so luckily still had his number  s:-D :-D s:-D  got to say that man is ace!

tomaky

Aye where all looking for that trustworthy mechanic im lucky to say i have mine and its worth travelling 20 miles for him to do anything i cant manage and if im very nice he will let me skip VAT with cash but sssh  s:) :) s:)
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

amz91

Think it's fixed! **touching wood!!**
Injectors!!
Only other thing now is think I need look into my steering! Getting a humming noise when in stationary from power steering but also cranks abit on full lock (crossing my fingers hoping its not the rack or pump! Or worse both!)

tomaky

Let it stay that way!  s:) :) s:)
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

mrzwei

Quote from: "amz91"Think it's fixed! **touching wood!!**
Injectors!!
Only other thing now is think I need look into my steering! Getting a humming noise when in stationary from power steering but also cranks abit on full lock (crossing my fingers hoping its not the rack or pump! Or worse both!)

The humming noise is VERY common.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.

amz91

How do you stop it ? Swear its started since I disconnected the battery :-s

mrzwei

You don't!
Turn the audio up   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Seriously, it is a known issue and very annoying. Just to check, it should stop if you turn the wheel slightly when you are stopped but it will start again after a bit.
Mine did it for the five + years I had it.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

ray835

the reason it hums ........................................it don't know the words   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
2000 silver to match my hair,team dynamics pro-race 3, silver hard top, cobra twin tip stainless system bmc cda carbon filter Taiwanese rear boot lip spoiler sheila\'s wheels tax disc holder

Tags: