Protective bubble to secure car?

Started by Abiwalker, May 27, 2013, 21:42

Abiwalker

So I've had my MR2 for just two weeks now and have been really careful where I park it and have driven it safely etc. Yet I've noticed light scratches on it (which should polish out) and today, on the passenger door where someone has opened their door on mine  s:( :( s:(   I'm hoping the most will polish out but I can feel one edge is super deep!
Also a small stone chip on the drivers door.

It's so frustrating buying a spotless car to see all this happen in such a short space of time. Perhaps I have a lot of bad luck. I just don't want to park it anywhere anymore. You can't trust anybody these days.

Does anybody know of a bubble wrap type thing you can secure you car with whilst parking? A customized Zorb should do it ...
Silver 52 MR2. Constant Smiles.

2 of the left

That's the trouble with the 2 - it's so low when parked up next to a "normal box" ( Sorry vehicle !!) Dings and dents cannot be polished out and the only recourse is to grin and bear it or fall back to two options - a Body shop repair or attend Ding day and have it sorted!! BTW Welcome to the grinning club!!
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

eynonz

Story of my life  s:( :( s:(  .... Working part time in a supermarket, and studying full time in college, my car gets the snot smashed out of it. I'd bet my MR2 has the most scratches and dents on here  s:( :( s:(  Sadly there's nothing that can be done for other people's incompetence.

I've resorted to parking right at the far back of most car parks where it's quiet, to minimize the risk. Also having no protective door strips is a killer.
*BLUE 2002 PRE-FACELIFT* - Markiii Pipe - Longlife Exhaust System - "The Ultimate Gear Shift Cable Bushings" -  Unknown Brand Front Strut Brace - More to come \";)\"

AndyM

These cars do seen to be a magnet for unlucky damage.

I had a Civic Type-R for 3 years without a mark. 3 months of '2 ownership and my pristine purchase has already had 3 dings knocked out (at Ding Day) from car park incidents, got a broken front grille and deep scratch on the bumper from a wing mirror falling a car in front on a dual carriageway and loads of stone chips.

Very frustrating but the grin is worth it  s:D :D s:D
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

tomaky

Mines the same every tine i wash it theres more! Alot can be to do with how you wash your car you would be surprised how easy it it to scratch a car when washing. Personally im building up a machine polishing kit next month  s:) :) s:)  there all going  s:) :) s:)
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

2 of the left

Nobody is more critical about their motor's bodywork than the owner!!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

Anonymous

Mine's going in for repair next week after a deer decided to run in front of me, head but my nearside light, damage the wing and kick the passenger door in   s:( :( s:(

Richard41

Have taken to parking mine as far from the supermarket doors as possible, theory being that the lazy ***** who don't care about opening their doors onto other cars are also too lazy to walk very far   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Two's Company

You would think that would work but the number of times I have come back to my car to find a shed (ok another shed...) parked an inch from my door.

Now I find two empty spaces together in the corner with cars of the spaces and park far enough over the line that another car can't fit in but make it look like I just can't park rather going straight down the middle so it is obvious I did it on purpose.

Failing that an end space with a car already parked next to it preferably not a 3 door with big doors or a car with child seats.

After all this I still have dings  s:-( :-( s:-(

trevsmr2

"Bubble Wrap Car Door Cover" - A removable protective covering for the doors of parked cars.

dcod

Quote from: "trevsmr2""Bubble Wrap Car Door Cover" - A removable protective covering for the doors of parked cars.

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   Want.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

dj2k21

Give this a try  s:) :) s:)  worked well on my octavia. Simply peels off when its due for replacement too  s:) :) s:)

m http://3mauto.com/paint-defender-spray-film.html m
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

tomaky

That stuff be great on the front end! horrendous amount of stone chips!
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

dj2k21

I used tbe spray on my octavia front bumper. Peeled it off before I sold it, immaculate  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

dcod

Quote from: "dj2k21"I used tbe spray on my octavia front bumper. Peeled it off before I sold it, immaculate  s:) :) s:)

I like the sound of that   s:D :D s:D
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

tomaky

Definatley gunna look into it!
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

dj2k21

I used about 2 3rds of a can on a front bumper so you could  [strike:3mv1klvn]probs[/strike:3mv1klvn] probably do a door with a full can.

Make sure the car is absolutely spotless before doing it though. I washed it with degrease stuff to take off old wax and stuff. I then washed it again. Dried it. Used a clay bar on it and a cutting compound. Washed again and then used panel wipe on it to remove every bit of dust, if you don't have access to panel wipe some thinners on a cloth works well too aslong as you wipe it off after.

Abiwalker

Quote from: "trevsmr2""Bubble Wrap Car Door Cover" - A removable protective covering for the doors of parked cars.

[centre:1s6c50n7]WOWOW  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  
Trip to the shops tonight I think.

Bubble Wrap
String
Black Tape

Sorted   s:lol: :lol: s:lol: [/centre:1s6c50n7]

Abiwalker

Quote from: "dj2k21"Give this a try  s:) :) s:)  worked well on my octavia. Simply peels off when its due for replacement too  s:) :) s:)

m http://3mauto.com/paint-defender-spray-film.html m

Looks like it could work...
But would I be spraying it on everyday?

Abiwalker

Quote from: "dj2k21"I used about 2 3rds of a can on a front bumper so you could  [strike:50taazxj]probs[/strike:50taazxj] probably do a door with a full can.

Make sure the car is absolutely spotless before doing it though. I washed it with degrease stuff to take off old wax and stuff. I then washed it again. Dried it. Used a clay bar on it and a cutting compound. Washed again and then used panel wipe on it to remove every bit of dust, if you don't have access to panel wipe some thinners on a cloth works well too aslong as you wipe it off after.

s:scared: :scared: s:scared:  Sounds like a job for the man..

trevsmr2

Quote from: "Abiwalker"
Quote from: "trevsmr2""Bubble Wrap Car Door Cover" - A removable protective covering for the doors of parked cars

[centre:bwgn1lb5]WOWOW  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  
Trip to the shops tonight I think.

Bubble Wrap
String
Black Tape

Sorted   s:lol: :lol: s:lol: [/centre:bwgn1lb5]

What colour is your car ?

m http://www.amazon.co.uk/COLOURED-BUBBLE ... B000VUN5WE m

Abiwalker

Quote from: "trevsmr2"What colour is your car?

Silver, the black tape was for the bubble wrap trim  s8) 8) s8)

Edit*
Sorry didn't see the link  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  never knew you could get coloured bubble wrap!!  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:   This is changes the way I send postage forever.

AckersMR2

You need some of these:
http://www.doordefender.eu/shop/uk/doordefender

Or better still this!

[youtube:1n0f8h5z]fDrzMGdYWZc[/youtube:1n0f8h5z]
My only car is a Ducati 

Abiwalker

Can't stand the look of the door defenders. But those flame shooter look like they may do the job... It may be useful in deterring the cats from climbing on the roof too   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

tomaky

Suppose could just put them on when you park ive got some strange little dints on my doors god knows how they have got there.
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

Tags: