Creaky steering whilst reversing at slow speed

Started by Zippee2020, June 1, 2013, 11:14

Zippee2020

Hi guys can someone out there diagnose the following

I have noticed over the last few months that when reversing of my drive and turning the wheel I get a strange creaking noise
Don't get the noise at any other time
I didn't know if it was low steering fluid but for the life of me I can't even find the reservoir -no warning lights on dash either

Can anyone help

Thanks guys!  s:? :? s:?
2001 Silver MR2 Hardtop 48k 2nd owner from new with Toyosports decat manifold

Two's Company

If you still have your front plastics in the frunk the PS reservoir is under them. Easy to remove the plastics.

Mine does this sometimes and I think it is the tyres jumping over the surface.

Zippee2020

Thats great thanks, before i start pulling all the plastics off has anyone else had this problem, I'm getting the noise whilst turning the wheel at slow speeds going forward and reversing....

Wabbitkilla

Assuming you're running standard wheel and tyre sizes. Yes there are more than a few people who have reported similar especially on full lock.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

OldMan

My car made a popping sound when reversing with the wheels at or near full lock.
When I had the struts replaced, the sound went away and has not returned.
I suspect there was a loose fastener somewhere.
The nut at the top of the strut has been known to loosen, causing noise.
If your Porsche is not anhydrous, there IS a substitute.

Zippee2020

Thanks guys, sounds like it might be a garage job then I guess?

Zonda_

Mine does this.  It's not tyre related, it's a metallic sound like bearings grinding or something.  My power steering pump jammed last year so I'm assuming it's related.
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

Tags: