Rattly engine help.

Started by Zonda_, June 1, 2013, 19:53

Zonda_

Engine is making a rattly noise, sounds like when I had old cars with tappets out of line. The engine doesn't smoke or use any oil but it is very annoying.  What's causing it?
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

StuC

I assume that as you have a CHE manifold you dont have a heatshield? The most common cause of engine rattle on here!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Does it make a difference if the engine is hot or cold?
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Zonda_

No heatshield.  It does seem to alter in volume terms but the engine can be hot or cold.

Definitely engine related rather than something attached to it.
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

Andys-N20

How loud is it?
can you tell where it is coming from? passanger / driver side, top or bottom?
Remember you can always use a screwdriver to listen to various points of the engine with your ear on the handle and the tip on the block.
204.2 BHP Silver 2000 MR2, 2006 2ZZ engine, Apexi PFC, Zorstec full stainless system exhaust (including 400 cell cat & race header), titanium heat wrap, MRW underdrive pulleys, handmade short ram intake, Hondata intake gasket, Celica gearbox ratio's, LSD.
Edge 306 speakers, Alpine CDE 235BT, sound deadened doors.
Full facelift conversion including bracing, sub frame, the works...

Zonda_

Varies in volume,  seems to be coming from behind me as in drivers side top end.  There is also oil leaking out there which may have something to do with it. Is that where the timing chain tensioner is?

StuC

Yes the cam tensioner is top right as you are standing at the back of the car.
Do you have an oil leak down that side?

Zonda_

Yes, is it a job I can do myself? What do they cost?

StuC

Just had a quick look in the how to's and I can't see one.
I know there was someone doing this at Ding Day. I think it was Loadswine.

Zonda_

There's a guide on Spyderchat but the pictures are pretty poor.

shnazzle

Had this bookmarked as I was going to do it this week:

http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?42581-How-to-Replace-Timing-Chain-Tensioner-Seal

Got my new o-ring at a local toyota dealer for 4 quid
...neutiquam erro.

roger

..and the tensioioner is not very expensive, around £35 I think. Might be worth doning both.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Zonda_

Where do I get the tensioner from?

roger

CTP, or Toyota. Standard part.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

onion86

You've reminded me I might replace mine now it's @70k.
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Tags: