2ZZ loom help.

Started by Andys-N20, June 3, 2013, 21:48

Andys-N20

I am planning on doing a 2ZZ swap in the next couple of months (not on my MR2 but buy one with a bad engine)
Have been doing my research and one thing that stumps me is the loom.There is little info on how to modify the 1zz loom for the 2zz engine + ECU.
Does anyone have detailed instructions on how to do it? Here are some extracts of info that keeps popping up.

Add 3 wires. 1 for the vvtL oil pressure sensor and 2 for the vvtL control module. The plugs come from the 2zz harness

You will also have to change the polarity of the TPS on the 2zz throttle body. You MAY be able to use the 1zz tps and it work ok.

I am aware that there are 'plug and play' adaptors available but the ones I can find are extortionate.
204.2 BHP Silver 2000 MR2, 2006 2ZZ engine, Apexi PFC, Zorstec full stainless system exhaust (including 400 cell cat & race header), titanium heat wrap, MRW underdrive pulleys, handmade short ram intake, Hondata intake gasket, Celica gearbox ratio's, LSD.
Edge 306 speakers, Alpine CDE 235BT, sound deadened doors.
Full facelift conversion including bracing, sub frame, the works...

Anonymous

There a wiring info bit in the referrence section telling you which wire where

dcod

You could try RogueMotorsport. The guys there are pretty helpful. They may be able to give you the diagrams you need.

m http://www.roguesystems.co.uk/ m
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Andys-N20

Had a look in the reference section and I found the same document on the internet already, but I'm not 100% sure if that is accurate
All the ones in pink hilightes cells in the document I'm not sure about as they are to do with the power steering, ABS and immobilizer (which imports don't all have immobilizers) so I'm not sure if the document was made for the American market or something.
I guess on the celica the ABS and PS would have been in the front thus on the engines loom so they can most likely be removed but all the immobilizer wires?
It would be great if anyone who has done the swap could confirm the accuracy of the document
204.2 BHP Silver 2000 MR2, 2006 2ZZ engine, Apexi PFC, Zorstec full stainless system exhaust (including 400 cell cat & race header), titanium heat wrap, MRW underdrive pulleys, handmade short ram intake, Hondata intake gasket, Celica gearbox ratio's, LSD.

Cap

Here is a wiring diagram I did on Spyderchat..  this is of the USDM Spyder ECU and Celica ECU..  
 m http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread ... Side-Sorta m

The Excel sheet floating around the net, has you cutting all sorts of wires.. it's not necessary..  The only thing you have to move is the Ground that Conflict, and the O2 Sensor wires..  
AND if you end up with a Immob ECU it will still work..  Unless you do not have a key..  then it's a little more difficult..  
You have to ADD a pin in C-7, B-12, A-12..

Cap

Andys-N20

Thanks for that 'cap'
I finally got my 2ZZ engine... well actually I got an entire Celica T Sport 2006 with 33K miles on her (Cat C)
Being post 2002 I was led to belive by my research that it would have a different knock sensor (two wires) but mine only has one. It comes from pin D27 and has clear insulation. Pin D28 has a wire and its pink and I have no idea where that goes. I have looked to see if the loom has been modded so the 2000-2002 ECU could be used for the higher revs, but no signs of it yet.
When I disect the loom to extract the various bits I need I will no doubt find it then.
This is the old girl:

dcod

Quote from: "Andys-N20"Celica T Sport 2006 with 33K miles on her

Nice.

One thing I would say is check as many oil seals as possible before putting the engine into the car. A prang like that can have all sorts of adverse effects. Do a compression test just in case too for peace of mind. Could save you time and money later.

I believe I have the xl spreadsheet that Cap is taking about. If you want it, let me know. It has the pin outs and wire colours too.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Cap

I just did some keyboard help on this swap..  
 m http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread ... on-the-way m

It looks like the some of the stuff done to the Celicas in the states, was not done on the EU models..  His find was a 2004 Celica 2ZZ..  in the states they are Throttle by wire after '02, and two wire knock sensor after '01..  his was Throttle Cable Pull, and one wire knock sensor..  that helped in his transplant..

Good luck on yours..  

Cap

Andys-N20

Thanks for that cap.
That was useful to me, I will add it to my favourites for reference.
My Engine is a 2006 but I am 99% sure the old owner changed ECU to a older one as he/she has change the ignition at some point but not any other lock. Plus it has one wire knock sensor and proper throttle cable. So maybe they lost the key and got a new set or maybe it was a mod. Either way I only have one wire on my knock and cable throttle so it saves the agro.
An update on my swap. I got the 2ZZ running with a MR2 intake + filter and a second hand intake manifold, I did ring Toyota and was quoted £700 + VAT for a new manifold lol. It ticked over perfectly and sounded great for a short while as there is no coolant in her.
The engine came out the celica today.
Next weekend I will drop the block from the MR2 project car and start playing with the wires etc. The car is a low mileage, HPI clear 2 in my favourite colour. She is a little battered and bruised and has a faulty engine but she will be lovingly restored.

I am on with hand making a PPE style intake, I did it myself so be nice  s:D :D s:D  . Found these websites useful 'http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?50396-Air-Intake-2zz' and 'http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread.php?52582-GI-2zz-swap-intake' only difference is that I am going to stay away from the exhaust manifold and go behind the battery (as we all know this is where the MR2 draws air from anyway). PPE's is IMO one of the worst places on the car you could put a filter:

I made a engine mount too:

Plan on using Zorstec to make a PPE style system.

Tags: