Strange steering problem

Started by Zonda_, June 6, 2013, 13:35

Zonda_

The steering feels heavy and reluctant to turn either way from straight but once it's turned a certain distance it goes back to its normal lightness.  The fluid level is fine.
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

dcod

Tyre pressures?
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Zonda_

No, all fine.  Something mechanical is wrong.
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

dcod

Your steering UJ? Or wheel alignment?

l viewtopic.php?f=47&t=32611 l
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Zonda_

Full alignment check done when the lowering springs were fitted.. Don't know how to check UJ

StuC

Take off the frunk plastics and you'll see the steering shaft coming through the firewall. The UJ will be on the end of it before it reaches the steering rack.

Here is Les' 'How to'
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Zonda_

How much is a new one?

StuC

Matt has some refurbed ones here

New one price is here

Zonda_

Is nothing cheap on these cars!? More money for parts than our 530. Have to be a refurb one as it's none stop expense at the mo.

StuC

I feel your pain!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

StuC

Just for completeness, what tyres have you got on the front?

Zonda_

T1-Rs all round.

Anonymous

When you are driving along and you turn the steering wheel, if you let it go does it self centralise or do you have to turn it back?

Zonda_

It stays at the angle it is and you have to centralise it.

Anonymous

99% certain that it's the u/j

Zonda_

Yep me too. There's been a weird noise going to full lock for a while,  like a grinding/chain being wound in sort of noise.

dj2k21

I just soaked mine in penetrative fluid for hours then cleaned it off and painted it. Been spot on since  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Zonda_

Mine was soaked shortly after I got it,  not risking doing it again with it being so sticky.

2 of the left

Quote from: "Zonda_"Mine was soaked shortly after I got it,  not risking doing it again with it being so sticky.
Time for a replacement - me thinks!!  s:? :? s:?
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

chris3boro

What exactly do these do to cause the problem? Seize up a bit, hence why spraying them with wd40 etc can work for a little while??

Anonymous

Flush a wheel bearing out,  wait till it goes rusty and starts to tighten up, spray it with WD40 and it will free off for a while but will still be a knackered bearing. ......that's what has happened to the bearings in the U/J. I hope nobody finds out what happens when one of these collapses due to the temporary fix of spraying. ......

Wabbitkilla

Totally agree Les, cleaning and spraying should be a regular maintenance thing using white grease.

When it's got to the point where it has corroded and tightened up then you should consider cleaning and spraying with wd40 as something that keeps you going until the new uj arrives in the post  s;-) ;-) s;-)  It is a small item but a vital part of the car.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

dcod

What I want to know is why did Toyota totally expose it to the elements and not pack it with grease and put a rubber boot on it   s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Quote from: "dcod"What I want to know is why did Toyota totally expose it to the elements and not pack it with grease and put a rubber boot on it   s:? :? s:?

It's not peculiar to Toyota   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Saab
QuoteI had a similar problem in my 1.9 Tid. Stiff in the straight ahead position and at 90 degree intervals. Liberal application of silicon oil on under bonnet UJ fixed it for about a month. My Indy checked out the pump (no issues) and lubricated the UJ in the car under the driver's side dash. Problem re occurred intermittently for a few weeks until I discovered that the scuttle drain was directly above the under bonnet UJ. Rain and washer bottle water seemed to 'flush out' any lubrication. I diverted the drain water away with a short length of domestic plumbing (sink) drain pipe and a 135 degree elbow. This was about a year ago and no problems since. I believe you can get the UJs separately and I'm sure that someone did that on this forum sometime last year. Try a search. I did find this though -

Smart car

QuoteAs it happens only yesterday. The steering became very notchy. Took the front of the car off and sprayed the lower joint with grease. Problem then goes away..Thanks to this and mania for the posts regarding where the problem might lie.
The car is a 600 city coupe 2002, 48,000 miles on the clock. Hope that helps your man, Evil.

............and many, many, more

dcod

I guess it's just a standard Stealership way of making more money   s:( :( s:(  

I have a friend who worked for Bosch. The factory made electric motors and dynamos. The machine to create the wire coiling was adjusted to ensure that every 10 turns it pulled the wire a little too much ... thus giving it a shorter life.

Tags: