Brakes jammed on! Sorted now.

Started by Zonda_, June 7, 2013, 15:13

Zonda_

Just fitted new front discs and pads and now the car won't move as the brakes are on hard. Everything seemed to go ok removing and refitting them.
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

onion86

Did you
a) take the brake fluid filler cap off before fitting them?
b) push the pistons right in before you put the new pads
c) remove any excessive fluid from the brake fluid reservoir?
d) refit the cap and pump the brakes after completion?
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Zonda_

No I've just discovered I've probably made a classic error! I assumed the larger discs would go on the front as with every other car I've owned but no...
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

Wabbitkilla

You pushed the pistons all the way back in the callipers?

Beaten to it.   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

StuC

Quote from: "Zonda_"No I've just discovered I've probably made a classic error! I assumed the larger discs would go on the front as with every other car I've owned but no...

has every other car you've owned had the engine in the front?  s;-) ;-) s;-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

onion86

Quote from: "Zonda_"No I've just discovered I've probably made a classic error! I assumed the larger discs would go on the front as with every other car I've owned but no...
Depends what you mean by larger, the fronts are thicker but the rears have a bigger diameter  s;) ;) s;)

You must've had a difficult time getting the caliper back on the front with the larger diameter discs, but that would explain why they don't move!
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

Zonda_

Quote from: "onion86"
Depends what you mean by larger, the fronts are thicker but the rears have a bigger diameter  s;) ;) s;)

You must've had a difficult time getting the caliper back on the front with the larger diameter discs, but that would explain why they don't move!

No, that was the weird thing, they went on fine. Ah well, least it's all loose now and I can fit the correct ones tomorrow.

AckersMR2

Just thought I'd quickly add, don't know if you've bought the grooved black coloured disks but if you have don't leave the handbrake on until the surface has been scrubbed properly from the disk otherwise they bind on. Not sure who it was that said this, might have been Onion86?
My only car is a Ducati 

Zonda_

No just normal ones.

Tags: