A 4ch Amp UNDER the rear luggage bins

Started by GSB, June 25, 2004, 10:30

GSB

Some of you may remember that in my quest for big sounds with minimal space lost I did this to an old Kenwood Amp not so long ago...

(See here for thread showing how it was done.)

This has been a resounding sucess, bar a couple of small points;

1/ The amp is obselete and is older than any Mk3 MR2 so I'm the only person who's got one,

2/ It looked very nice when installed, but its mounted in the boot floor, so its taken a bit of hammering from my everyday luggage and now looks fairly scruffy.

On the plus side, Thermal effects have never been an issue, even while I've been baking in the drivers seat on a red hot day, the amp has never even broken a sweat despite driving very hard into my MB Quarts and UD sub.

So for the last few weeks, I've been digging out amp specs and trying to find a good quality 4 channel unit that will fit under the floor without having to cut a hole in it...

I think I've found one...

Its a TSA 460 from Blaupunkt. It offers 4/3/2 channel operation at 2x60Wrms for the door speakers, plus a 150Wrms channel for a sub. Whats more the trendy outer transparent case is removable for fitting in tight spaces, leaving you with an amp only 205L x 45H x 177D mm. compare that to the 280L x 50H x 200W mm of the kenwood amp seen above, and I think its a pretty safe bet that with the 5mm lower overall height, and the additional hieght reduction from the 22mm reduction in width allowing the amp to sit a lot lower in the well, that it'll go under the boot floor with no cutting at all!

Obvioulsy it'd still be a good idea to drill some ventilation holes, but you'd 700w of punch in the car for no loss of any storage space and very easy installation...

Of course the only downside is the price. Around £380...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Tags: