mystery connector in engine bay

Started by wizzard1983, June 11, 2013, 17:11

wizzard1983

Hi All,

Whilst topping up my oil i found a connector that wasn't connected to anything. it is a black and red wire that comes from the main wire loom. this went into a connector and the other end of the connector was a bit of metal that looked like it had been broken off something.

Please help me  identify what this is for and if i need to get the car looked at by a garage.

Thanks for your help.

wizzard1983

P.S How do i put a pic on the post to help? lol (sorry)

Markb

Quote from: "wizzard1983"P.S How do i put a pic on the post to help? lol (sorry)

Open a photobucket account..its free to use..upload your pic to photobucket......when uploaded copy the last link in the list of four....paste it on to your message on here.

I noticed a connector up behind the dipstick area whilst under mine doing the oil filter the other day.....i guess its for cars with air con or some other extra.

wizzard1983

It was the other side of the engine bay and i have air con. Thanks for the help with the pic upload

wizzard1983

minimike

Can't remember for sure but when I changed the plugs on mine I 'found' the same bit. The bracket had snapped just like yours. If you take the plastic engine cover off you will probably find the other end still under a bolt?
I just used a tie wrap to keep it out of the way.
2006 red, 2006 silver TF212, 2003 black, 2001 black

wizzard1983

thanks for the reply, did you find ot what it is for?

onion86

Looks like it has snapped off, remove the cover and you should see where from  l viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42802 l
Sable 55 C-One MR2 C2 Turbo - A/C, Black Heated Leather, TTE Twin Exhaust, Cruise Control

fretlessfender

That's the one - it locates under one of the 12 mm(?) bolts going through the lh end of the cam cover (under the plastic).
Underbody bracing, Maxbore TB, Pipercross filter, Pre-cats gone, solid gearchange bushes, Focal A165s + Genesis Profile 2 amp + Eonon head unit, which sort of does everything it claims to but not as well as it should.... Red, 2000, hardtop in the garage for the summer. \":-)\"

spit

The mystery thing is the car's noise suppressor - part of the ignition circuitry. It has a single wire feed earthed to the block by the bracket. If it isn't earthed it won't be doing anything. Not a huge problem unless your coil packs are creating excessive radio interference.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

wizzard1983

Thanks for all your replies. I will take a good look under the engine cover asap.

Tags: