Which OBD 2 scanner, U380 or 480?

Started by Topdownman, June 13, 2013, 21:27

Topdownman

Hi,

Just driving home tonight and my fuel light came on with the engine management light too at the same time.

Got some fuel but EM  light has not gone out. After a lot of searching, I tried the paper clip tip to see if I could read the fault code but only got the P/S and ABS lights flashing, not the EML. ( the car is a UK one, 2004 6 speed).

It seems like the best thing to do is to get a fault reader and take it from there but just not sure which one to go for, either the 380 such as

m http://www.amazon.co.uk/U380-Diagnose-T ... O3TZTCDT91 m

Or the 480,

m http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diagnostic-Scan ... sim_auto_2 m

Both seem super cheap but both have reviews where they wouldn't work on all cars so it would be great to hear your views on which to order.

Cheers.

Simon.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

mr mr2

I've got that one works fine you can get all the codes from the club
Excelsior

Jandaw

The handbook warns that low fuel level can trigger the eml.

If you've filled up try disconnecting the battery for ten minutes, the light should clear without recourse to an OBD 2 scanner.

dcod

What phone have you got? If it's an android, these are great (don't know much about iPhone)  s:D :D s:D  

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Mini-OB ... 41727d3866 m

or
 m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-Tor ... 1e7954c1dc m
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

BARNPOT

Quote from: "dcod"What phone have you got? If it's an android, these are great (don't know much about iPhone)  s:D :D s:D  

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Mini-OB ... 41727d3866 m

or
 m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-Tor ... 1e7954c1dc m

I can vouch for the "black" one, works well with my HTC android phone   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
BLUE 2002 PRE-FACELIFT MODEL ACQUIRED 2012

Topdownman

Thanks for the replies Guys.

Mr MR2, which one of the two have you got?

Afraid I only have an old fashioned phone, no smartphone so the apps will be of no help to me!

I will go and disconnect the battery in a minute to reset it and see if that works but think its best to get a reader as its too late once the light is on to think about buying one!

Any other opinions on either of these two types of readers?

Cheers.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

dcod

I believe the U480 adds can-bus protocol (which you don't have). Get a U480 if you want to use it on different cars that have can-bus.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

K T M Rider

I have a U380 and have used it to correctly diagnose faults with the MAF , O2 sensors and the main Cat. I thought it was great value at £20, so for a tenner, it's a steal.

Of course if you want a more in depth analysis you could look at an ELM 327 to work with various programs on a laptop, however the U380 can easily live in your glovebox and give you an instant diagnosis when you are out on the road.
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

Topdownman

I have ordered the 480, looks a bit more versatile and seems to be coming from amazon and not china so should get here quicker!

The light has gone out after disconnecting the battery, will go for a drive later and hope all is OK now.

Thanks for the help.
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

p3t3

Ive got the 480. has proven its self priceless at times. it now lives in the glove box.
Any landing you walk away from is a good one!

dcod

Quote from: "p3t3"it now lives in the glove box.

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

+1 Both of mine do.

Topdownman

Unfortunately I got about 7 miles before the light came back!

Is there any point disconnecting the battery a number of times to clear the error or is it just a case of not driving it much until I get the reader?
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

dcod

Quote from: "Topdownman"Unfortunately I got about 7 miles before the light came back!

Is there any point disconnecting the battery a number of times to clear the error or is it just a case of not driving it much until I get the reader?

Having the light will not affect your car. You may as well leave it on until you get the reader.

Wabbitkilla

My betting will be p0141, the infamous 3rd O2 sensor heater circuit. It may just be pure coincidence the light came on the the low fuel light. The eml will come on after a reset if it's a 'proper' fault.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Topdownman

The U480 code reader arrived today, the fault code is P0135 which the book with it tells me is O2 heater sensor 1 bank 1.

Is there any chance it could be a connection fault or anything to do with the precat removal about a month ago or is it just a case of buying a new sensor?
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

p3t3

Ultimatly a new sensor but a cheap fix is to use a resistor to trick the ecu in to thinking the heater is working. That's what got me EML free for a while  :-) :-) :-)
Any landing you walk away from is a good one!

Topdownman

I fitted the new sensor yesterday and took it for a drive and no light came on. I gave the car a "spirited" drive in case that helps the ECU to relearn. Got home and the engine felt a lot hotter than usual but I have yet to hear the cooling fan come on so think I may have to check that out now!!
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

dcod

Quote from: "Topdownman"I fitted the new sensor yesterday and took it for a drive and no light came on. I gave the car a "spirited" drive in case that helps the ECU to relearn. Got home and the engine felt a lot hotter than usual but I have yet to hear the cooling fan come on so think I may have to check that out now!!

Temp gauge look ok? Coolant level ok?

No fan is a good sign ... if it's working   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

(If you had a smart phone and a bluetooth ODB, you'd be able to see the exact temperature   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   Mine runs at exactly 87 degrees)

Topdownman

The coolant level hasn't changed and the temperature gauge hasn't gone up, hopefully I am worrying about nothing!
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

dcod

Quote from: "Topdownman"The coolant level hasn't changed and the temperature gauge hasn't gone up, hopefully I am worrying about nothing!

I wouldn't worry then. Many people have commented that they feel they can fry an egg on the boot in summer.   s:D :D s:D

Topdownman

Thanks for the reassurance!
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Tags: