2 won't start

Started by Pratty, June 16, 2013, 18:39

Pratty

Hi,

I have had a broken leg for the last 12 weeks and as a result my 2's battery was flat. I bought a charger from halfrauds and the battery is now charged.

However when I have tried to start the car I have just had a horrible noise as the car tries to start but nothing from the engine!

Barring in mind the back story has anyone got any ideas as to what has happened and how I can fix it.

Cheers

-Pratty

ChrisGB

Probably a dead battery. I guess the noise is a nasty rattling of the starter solenoid?
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Pratty

Don't think it is a dead battery as everything else is now working and it sounds like it is turning the starter motor?

Jon_G

Is it still making a horrible noise or is it now simply cranking over OK on the starter like normal, but not actually starting? If so, is it firing, but failing to catch?

Pratty

No, I was unclear there. Still the terrible noise as before.

mrzwei

Can you be more specific about exactly what you mean when you say 'horrible / terrible ' noise?
Is it a rattle, a knock, a scraping or a grinding sound or a clicking sound for example? If you could record it and post it that might help.
Does it make any difference with the clutch depressed?
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Pratty

Been back out and no noise now so I am guessing the battery has had it (as per first response)! Will try the charger again but not looking good.

Really appreciate the responses guys.

Any advice on my best place to pick up a replacement?

-Pratty

normanh

Try your local Mr T for the battery cheaper than Halfrauds and will have the right terminals on it.

Norman

Jon_G

CTP (on this forum) sell genuine Toyota batteries really cheaply. But - wherever you get it - make sure you get the right one... MR2s sometimes came with a smaller battery then normal! After sending the normal one, CTP had to send me a smaller one (described as being for a Yaris). We bought the car new and the old battery was definitely the original. So do measure up your battery just to be sure.

But be sure that you do need a new battery first.

Tags: