5" Focal speakers

Started by tricky1138, June 16, 2013, 22:24

tricky1138

I've just been offered a set of Focal component speakers for fairly cheap but have been told that they're only 5" (12.5cm I guess?)

I've also just got some mdf speaker adaptors but they'll be for the normal 6.5" speakers.

Question is do I get the speakers and do some more modifying to the adaptors or just wait and get the right size?
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

s12vea

Depends how cheap they are. You can get the focal 6.5" comp on eBay for under £90 delivered. In my opinion it would be worth the wait unless the smaller ones happen to be a bargain.
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

tricky1138

Quote from: "s12vea"Depends how cheap they are. You can get the focal 6.5" comp on eBay for under £90 delivered. In my opinion it would be worth the wait unless the smaller ones happen to be a bargain.

The smaller ones are a bargain in my opinion!

Looks like I've talked myself into getting them!  s:) :) s:)

I'm also presuming that even these smaller focals will be better than stock?
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

AndyM

Loads better.

There is an argument that with the cabin size being what it is, larger components may not actually be the optimum for sound quality.

Toyota will have done it to try and give it a bit of mid-bass response (or they had a bulk buy on 6.5s for other models  s;) ;) s;)  ).

There is lots if factors but if you are going to have any kind of sub then I don't think 6.5" comps are necessary. I'm planning on putting my 5" KEF KAR components in mine with an UD sub.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

stargazer30

Op your best best would be get a sheet of 10mm MDF, draw around your plastic adaptors and make new ones for the smaller components.  Make sure you varnish or laquer the MDF though as the inner door gets damp/wet and the MDF will swell.  Then ebay the adaptors.

You may find they sound a bit flat bass wise if your running a stock HU and no amp though.  They will be less sensitive than the paper stock speakers, and will need more power to get them going.

Finally don't forget the sound deaden your doors whilst your at it, very important.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

tricky1138

Quote from: "stargazer30"Finally don't forget the sound deaden your doors whilst your at it, very important.

Was always intending to do that!

Well update - gets to the sellers house and looks at the speakers - they're not Focals!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

Has anyone heard of Fusion speakers?

Anyway took a chance and bought them but not until I knocked price right down!

As for fitting - I've found a piece of fascia plastic left lying. If I cut that to fit will that work?

Also not sure about tweeters - will these fit?  Picture below :

Anonymous

Fusion is ok and an upgrade on stock

tricky1138

Quote from: "rbuckingham"Fusion is ok and an upgrade on stock

Well that's what I'd guessed!

Still using original head unit and no amp so never going to be fantastic! Just want slightly better!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

s12vea

I've had them in the past. Hopefully you didn't pay too much for them as I only paid £20 for them brand new
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Tags: