Had my TTE turbo on the dyno + boost readings

Started by stargazer30, June 17, 2013, 15:34

stargazer30

And it confirmed my fears.  Its a bit down on power   s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(    s:( :( s:(  

It made 176bhp and 175lbs/ft of torque.  Given it has a sports cat and SP backbox, it should have been 190s.  The power plot looks exactly as expected and the car drives fine.  I had it checked for boost leaks a few weeks back and its fine too, tested upto 15psi.  I didn't get a boost reading today which I was fed up about as I asked for one, I think that would have told me more.

Given the recent saga I had with the clutch slipping and needing a exedy clutch I'm suprised its only at 175lbs/ft. I would have thought my old stock clutch with low miles would have handled that ok.

Will scan the dyno plot when I get a sec anyway.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

stargazer30

Dyno charts.  The 133bhp is the run from last year, car was NA then with a US unichip and airfilter only.

The operator noted the AFR was a little lean but nothing bad.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

dj2k21

Turbo still in good condition?  I know when I was talking to tom about your car he sait it was a pretty good kit as far as bolt ons etc go.  So I know hos only thoughts too were turbo issues?
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Anonymous

The way it goes up and holds it would make me think the turbo is good and there are no leaks. Maybe everything is working as it should however the wastegate is opening at a lower pressure so instead of making x psi its only making y psi.

spit

Have you ever had it dyno'd in the 190s? 176/175 isn't too bad and the plot looks nice. Given that you've no idea what PSI you're at and its running well, be happy!   s:D :D s:D  

I'm very hazy on this, but I don't recall Toyota nailing down a default wastegate opening PSI in their literature for the stock turbo unit. At the time, we all thought it was something like 6PSI. Not sure why   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

The wastegate arm is adjustable on the TTE kit. Shortening it can tweak the opening characteristics and give things a bit more punch. Not something you should do blindly without gauges: there's an upper limit specified - its in the TTE literature somewhere!
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

stargazer30

Quote from: "spit"Have you ever had it dyno'd in the 190s? 176/175 isn't too bad and the plot looks nice. Given that you've no idea what PSI you're at and its running well, be happy!  

I've never had it dyno'd at 190 but I know theres less torque now than when the kit first went on.  It felt like my old SP240 when it first went on, the surge of torque was very noticable.  Now its much more subtle.  It fell off about 5 months  after it was fitted but around the same time the lift off noise changed.  The problem was my clutch started slipping too just after so I thought it was the clutch.  I only realised when the exedy clutch went on it was down on power.

I think I'm going to invest in a cheapy ebay boost guage to see what PSI its running.  I wouldn't be suprised if its only 3 to 4 psi.

nathanMR2

I get the impression there are certainly some variations in how the TTET kits perform. I remember loadswine suggesting that mine seemed to pack more punch than the one he had.

Again im not if this is down to just my gauges but I seem to be getting a little over 10 psi on max boost.
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

loadswine

Yes Nath, yours definitely seems to have more oomph than other TTEs that I've driven. I was looking at the figures for a TTE in the garage section and can't really see the dyno printout, but 176 is a typical figure for a TTE and I think that other one was at 6 psi. Torque figures vary a bit too from memory of past dyno figures.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

stargazer30

175lbs/ft is low for sure.  Most TTETs hit 200lb/ft even if they max out at 185bhp as the chip pulls timing up the rpm range by design.   Lets not forget thats on a stock cat and stock exhaust.  Mine has a sport cat and SP back box.

nathanMR2

Have you spoke with Matt about this?

stargazer30

Quote from: "nathanMR2"Have you spoke with Matt about this?

Not yet since it was dyno'd.  Last time we spoke he suspected low boost, possibly the wastegate spring being weak.  So next step is to get a cheapish boost guage wired in and see what PSI its running.  From what I read 7ish is the norm, 10 max.

loadswine

If it is of interest, here is a link I found to a club dyno day, with all sorts of configurations running
 l viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13900&p=169103&hilit=dyno+day#p169103 l
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

s12vea

After looking a the old dyno runs it would seem that bhp is correct but torque is massively down. Wonder what it could be?
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

MattPerformance

176bhp is within the acceptable range with a stock cat, I'd expect a little more with a sports cat.
The shape of the graph however suggests it's a poor result because it ramps up at the last moment to get to 176, immediately prior to that it's more like 170.
The torque figure is well down on what I would expect. Even with a stock exhaust I'd expect 190ftlb+.
The lack of boost data is really unhelpful and I'd be inclined to take the car back and ask them to do it again (preferably without charge). Trying to assess boost on the road with a manual gauge is far too haphazard.
The AFR is a touch lean but that's no so unusual for a TTET although I don't remember seeing a reading over 13 before. I wouldn't be surprised if the stock ECU was pulling ignition.
Have you got a Markiii pipe on it? (Or any other induction mods?)
Boost measurements with a stock induction (with the TTE supplied panel filter) is the only reliable way to get to the bottom of this.

shnazzle

A little extra note on the tuner you've used...you need to be a bit more hands-on with them. Great guys and great garage though.
Just pop over Mark's shoulder when he's setting up the dyno and prod him a bit to put in the boost reading. Dave's a little less receptive to prodding though...

Again, can't recommend them enough though for anything from service to mapping, but do ignore the "do not enter the work place" stickers a bit. Go in through the garage door (as it has to be open for the run) and creep over to the dyno computer while Mark's setting it up.

(I never said any of this  s;) ;) s;) )
...neutiquam erro.

stargazer30

Quote from: "shnazzle"A little extra note on the tuner you've used...you need to be a bit more hands-on with them. Great guys and great garage though.
Just pop over Mark's shoulder when he's setting up the dyno and prod him a bit to put in the boost reading. Dave's a little less receptive to prodding though...

TBH mate, I won't be going back there.  Before I paid I asked for a boost plot, paid upfront, they ran it and didn't do one.  When I rang them afterwards to ask if they would run it up again with boost and maybe discount me rather than paying another £50 they didn't want to know.  They'd also messed me about booking it in too.

Quote from: "MattPerformance"The AFR is a touch lean but that's no so unusual for a TTET although I don't remember seeing a reading over 13 before. I wouldn't be surprised if the stock ECU was pulling ignition.
Have you got a Markiii pipe on it? (Or any other induction mods?)
Boost measurements with a stock induction (with the TTE supplied panel filter) is the only reliable way to get to the bottom of this.

I still have my markiii (diy pipe) on it and a K&N panel filter which has about 15,000 miles on it/is a bit scruffy.  So for sure I'm going to stick the stock pipe back on and maybe order a new stock air filter (can't get TTE ones?)

One other thought did occur too, when they ran it it was a hot day (about 17D) and they had one fan only at the front of the car.  I know when I've dyno'd 2s in the past they usually have a fan at the side too near the intake.

nathanMR2

I run a standard stock intake pipe and a BMC panel filter on mine (same as a TTE filter)

Anonymous

As a thought thinking of my build. I'm running 225bhp with only that level of torque because I wanted them to run as close to economic as possible map. Reason im saying this is because im wondering if the problem might be somewhere else on the engine ie not as much fuel possibly?

stargazer30

Minor update...  Its been a few days since it took the mkiii pipe off and cleaned the MAF.

Not much change.  Its a little bit more boosty.  But I think cleaning the MAF may have been a bad idea.  The idle is a bit more rough now and I'm getting some lag before it comes on boost.  I know from my ford days the MAFs on the focus often got knackered by cleaning with electrical spray so I'm hoping I didn't knacker mine.

After pay pay, I'm either going to add a boost gauge to check that or maybe instead get a new MAF and o2 sensors to rule those out.

dj2k21

You got a wideband on there mate? Be cool to see your afr's?
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

Anonymous

I might have a gauge and sender going spare if your interested.

stargazer30

Quote from: "rbuckingham"I might have a gauge and sender going spare if your interested.

Maybe, pm me the details.  Price, make, size and scale (PSI/Bar, max).  The problem I have been having is finding an electronic one with a low scale.  Most new ones are 30 to 40 PSI which would barely move on a low pressure turbo like ours.

stargazer30

Thought I'd better update this one.  The car had a faulty o2 sensor which I bet was the cause of the lean AFR.  Thats fixed now and the bum dyno says its a bit better for it.  I'll probably stick it back on the dyno to be sure at some point but I'm in no hurry.    s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

s12vea

That's good to hear!  s:) :) s:)
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

ChrisGB

Quote from: "stargazer30"Thought I'd better update this one.  The car had a faulty o2 sensor which I bet was the cause of the lean AFR.  Thats fixed now and the bum dyno says its a bit better for it.  I'll probably stick it back on the dyno to be sure at some point but I'm in no hurry.    s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:

O2 sensor should not really affect high load running, it only works in closed loop mode (part throttle cruise / idle). Unless it has caused the ECU to pick a lean open loop curve.
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Tags: