Car feels unstable at speed on motorways

Started by Flipside, June 23, 2013, 20:31

Flipside

Since fitting the toyo proxes I have never felt comfortable at speed, the car feels like it's rolling left to right,  when I had the Yokohamas it felt planted to the road,  I know the toyos are soft wall tyres maybe that's the issue?   Anybody have any ideas,  the car feels like it's been blowing left to right when it's windy
2001 low mileage, mods: K&N 57i gen 2, toyosports manifold and Cobra twin exhaust, unichip. Colour coded side vents and spoiler.  not forgetting the ICE Install, stock sony head unit, sony xa300 aux input, bluetooth connection, 4 channel hertz digital amp, 2 channel hertz ep2 amp, mb quart components, hertz 10" subwoofer in the bins and UD JL 6.5 in sub. Boom!

s12vea

Toyo take a few hundred miles to bed in. Mine felt the same. Don't worry they will be fine before you know it. Just be careful till then.
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Bernie

What pressures are you running should be 36 rear and 28 front stock settings are too low on these
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

BARNPOT

I have just had new rears fitted and felt the same feeling....played around with tyre pressures and have settled on 36 rear 28 front. Feels much better and I think they will "bed in"...
BLUE 2002 PRE-FACELIFT MODEL ACQUIRED 2012

Flipside

Pressures as you have stated and have travelled a few thousand miles, they got better but still doesn't feel right, is there anything else that it might be?
2001 low mileage, mods: K&N 57i gen 2, toyosports manifold and Cobra twin exhaust, unichip. Colour coded side vents and spoiler.  not forgetting the ICE Install, stock sony head unit, sony xa300 aux input, bluetooth connection, 4 channel hertz digital amp, 2 channel hertz ep2 amp, mb quart components, hertz 10" subwoofer in the bins and UD JL 6.5 in sub. Boom!

Anonymous

Have you still got the little l bracket shape bits of plastic still in front of the wheels.

Flipside

Which bit are those?

2 of the left

Quote from: "Flipside"Which bit are those?
They look like the bottom edge of mudguards but act as wind deflectors!!
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

Flipside

I will have to check as I'm not totally sure  do you mean the highlighted as per below

mrzwei

Important to high speed road holding because they deflect the air around rather than under the car and so reduce lift.
I think there are three, one across the front and a smaller one on either side.

Tyres bedding in is probably your issue though otherwise it would have been there before.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Flipside

If anyone has a pic to show me what I am looking for it would be a great help.  Thanks

ChrisGB

No picture,  but there should be a black plastic lip in front of each wheel arch and a long one along the lower edge of the bumper.   They are just  made of basic plastic L  section held on with screws.
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

StuC

Tried to show them here. Look towards the wheel of the green car and you should be able to spot the l-shaped bit of plastic.

Matt had said there was another bit I was missing though the other day. My front end feels a bit light sometimes.  s:-| :-| s:-|
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

kentsmudger

Quote from: "StuC"

Tried to show them here. Look towards the wheel of the green car and you should be able to spot the l-shaped bit of plastic.

Matt had said there was another bit I was missing though the other day. My front end feels a bit light sometimes.  s:-| :-| s:-|

Yes, where the row of holes is there should be another longer L shaped piece
[size=85] Unichip, full Hayward & Scott exhaust, race cat and manifold - markiii pipe, K & N panel, EBC Ultimax Slotted Discs, EBC pads, TTE springs, Corky\'s Breastplate, front & rear strut braces, brass shift bushes, Hankook Ventus V12 Evos, CG-Lock. Bama deflector, Mongos, Devs key cover, TTE gear-knob. My car and my pics of other cars.

[centre] 'I am, and ever will be a white socks, pocket protector, nerdy engineer' - Neil Armstrong (1930 – 2012) [/size][/centre]

Flipside

Checked this morning and the 2 by the wheels are there, will check the centre one tonight.  I'm hoping its missing at least that might be the cause.  Thanks guys ill update you

Wabbitkilla

It's peculiar the big effect a smal L-shaped piece of plastic can have on the aerodynamics and stability   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

There are lots of other things that make the car feel stable ... or unstable   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
Tyre pressures you now know about, the L's, some makes and models of tyre tramline worse than others and those "lorry rails" we get on the inside of motorways nowadays can give you a really wayward experience.

Sometimes you just experience poor handling for a while, fix it, but it then takes you ages to rebuild your confidence in the car.... been there myself.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

ChrisGB

Geometry can make a huge difference to high speed stability too.
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Flipside

Quote from: "wabbitkiller"Sometimes you just experience poor handling for a while, fix it, but it then takes you ages to rebuild your confidence in the car.... been there myself.

That is a very good point,

I will check the L  thingy in the centre and if that's ok maybe ill just not drive so fast  ;0)

SFerrari

Hi,

I have had 4 new proxies 1000 miles ago, and I also confirm the strange behaviour of the car at "high" speeds. The car flies and goes from right to left   s:? :? s:?    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  
I know those tyres need to bed-in and a quite low pressure in it (close or under the recommanded pressure), nonetheless I still have a bad feeling as well...
That's why I was considering buying a vented hood/bonnet in order to get more downforce on the front (considering that I have removed the whole spare wheel kit and compartment...).
I have the 2 Ls shaped plastic under the car, but not the third one you're talking about... And don't have the mudguard behind the front wheels...

But at least those proxies look GREAT   s:D :D s:D    s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

Wabbitkilla

Err ... wrong, the Toyos demand above normal/standard pressures, 26/36lbft seems to be a good starting point with them.
If you have them lower than standard pressures no wonder the car is wandering   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

StuC

Quote from: "kentsmudger"
Quote from: "StuC"

Yes, where the row of holes is there should be another longer L shaped piece

Okies, thanks for confirming the bit i needed. Now to try and find one!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Flipside

At least I'm not the only one. Thought i was going mad, its actually Scarier when you are accelerating then lift off. The car seems to roll left and right.

Mine are 28  36, tried 26 36 and it was far worse,  check tyres pressures every 2 weeks

Jon_G

I know what you mean as well... I've got T1Rs all round (a little larger than standard, but I don't recall exactly what size) and things didn't seem right to begin with, particularly on long sweeping bends at high speed (A-roads / motorways) where I felt it was drifting and needed constant correction instead of cornering smoothly. However, now a few miles have passed it seems to have settled down quite nicely, but I'm not sure whether this is because the tread has 'worn in' to suit the geometry or because I've been experimenting with the tyre pressures? I'm now running 37psi on the rears and 32psi on the front (which I may drop to 30psi to get closer to the recommendations here).

Hopefully your problem can be easily sorted as well.

Flipside

Checked under the front of the car and my central L shape thing is missing,  so going to need one of them, anyone got a spare?   Or can anyone give me the actual name of it so if I put it in the wanted section people know what I'm talking about.

mrzwei

Open to correction here but I would call it a 'spoiler'. It's not really big enough to qualify as an 'air dam' . A 'splitter' would normally form an L shape at the bottom of the 'dam' so I stick with 'spoiler' (or the L shaped plastic bit that fixes to the bottom of the front   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ).
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Tags: