Car feels unstable at speed on motorways

Started by Flipside, June 23, 2013, 20:31

shnazzle

[strike:1y7kii0f]Could someone post a pic of the front L, so that I can have a peek later?[/strike:1y7kii0f]

EDIT: Nevermind. I've got it. It's quite obvious.
Finally something the car DOES have
...neutiquam erro.

StuC

Just to finish off this thread, you can see on this FL the plastic strip running across the centre portion of the underside of bumper
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

FGrob

There was three mini lips fitted on the later cars, two in front of the wheels and one long one which fitted in the middle between the two smaller ones - loads of photo's if you search, here's one a prepared earlier and no you can't get the carbon fibre ones - those were a one off made for me a few years back   s:D :D s:D    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Ex owner of a Black 2004 car "which is quite possibly the finest normally aspirated MR2 Roadster in the country" as quoted by Japanese Performance Magazine Dec 2010.

Classic & Performance Car Show Winner Sunday 5th June 2011 - Tatton Park - Best Toyota MR2.

Flipside

So does anyone know if the centre one  will fit the pfl and will it make an improvement?
2001 low mileage, mods: K&N 57i gen 2, toyosports manifold and Cobra twin exhaust, unichip. Colour coded side vents and spoiler.  not forgetting the ICE Install, stock sony head unit, sony xa300 aux input, bluetooth connection, 4 channel hertz digital amp, 2 channel hertz ep2 amp, mb quart components, hertz 10" subwoofer in the bins and UD JL 6.5 in sub. Boom!

shnazzle

Quote from: "Flipside"So does anyone know if the centre one  will fit the pfl and will it make an improvement?

I've got one and I have no problems at speed. Strangely, since I've switched to Toyos  s:) :) s:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
...neutiquam erro.

Flipside

Did you fit it,  is it a pfl
2001 low mileage, mods: K&N 57i gen 2, toyosports manifold and Cobra twin exhaust, unichip. Colour coded side vents and spoiler.  not forgetting the ICE Install, stock sony head unit, sony xa300 aux input, bluetooth connection, 4 channel hertz digital amp, 2 channel hertz ep2 amp, mb quart components, hertz 10" subwoofer in the bins and UD JL 6.5 in sub. Boom!

shnazzle

No it came with it on. It is a PreFL.
I doubt it was added as previous owners seemed to be a lot better at having things drop off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
...neutiquam erro.

Flipside

Thanks just need to find one now and hope it helps

AndrewMason

I have an 02 plate PFL and has 3 splinter pieces. I'm sure is original. There is a thread elsewhere on this issue.

The high speed tyre thing - my T1Rs feel different to the Pontenzas. I'd say it is different tyre characteristics and not the car. After all the different tyre manufacturers go to great lengths to develop and promote what they feel is best. Not all tyres are the same - you would never fit own-brand budgets to a super car and still except the thing to stop corner etc as per the OEM spec rubber.
2002 Red. "Go-Fasta" stripes and matching wheels

Flipside

I agree tyres do have different characteristics but surely you should feel fully in control of the car in normal driving conditions, the handling or the tr1s in corners is really good but as soon as I get near 70-80mph then it feels like the car is rocking left to right,  sometimes it's scary.

ChrisGB

What size Toyos do you have front and rear? More importantly what load ratings?
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Flipside

185/55/15 front

205/50/15 rear

From memory

2 of the left

Quote from: "Flipside"185/55/15 front

205/50/15 rear

From memory
I will check in daylight what sizes I have fitted ( I have the 3 deflectors fitted on my PFL and running Toyos T1R's Proxes)
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

Flipside

Cheers

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Flipside"185/55/15 front

205/50/15 rear

From memory

Have you tried 26/32 to see what it feels like?

Chris
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Flipside

Think playing around with the air pressure might be a good idea,  ill give it a go over the weekend

Dyn-Evo

Just for info, I bought the centre air-dam from Toyota to fit to my PFL V6 conversion car.

The mounting points for the dam were not where they should have been on the car: I ended up removing the front bumper and modding it to accept the air-dam....  s:D :D s:D  

I'm sure there are some pix of this that I posted on this forum a couple of years back: this has been covered several times before.....

EDIT: after a quick search.....
 l viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29347&hilit=front+lip l

Did it make a HUGE difference..? Well...maybe a little, but not a fix-all solution....  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Current: 2006 Toyota Corolla T-Sport COMPRESSOR 215hp, Silver, totally stock!
EX]V6[/color]  \":-)\"   )
Black Leather interior, "micro-lip" rear spoiler, Refurbed OEM 15" Pewter Metallics, Cobra Quad-Exit, HEL SS braided hoses, EBC pads, AEM DryFlow CAI.
Ex: "NightHawk" MR2 Mk1 4AG-ZE AE101 S/C conversion (170hp), water injection
Ex: MR2 Mk1b stock 4AGE

trickyD

Quote from: "SFerrari"That's why I was considering buying a vented hood/bonnet in order to get more downforce on the front (considering that I have removed the whole spare wheel kit and compartment...).

just curious as to how this will add downforce?
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

jaspa

Quote from: "trickyD"
Quote from: "SFerrari"That's why I was considering buying a vented hood/bonnet in order to get more downforce on the front (considering that I have removed the whole spare wheel kit and compartment...).

just curious as to how this will add downforce?

The basic idea is that the air runs through the radiator and then into the spare wheel area and out through the vent in the bonnet. It works well on the mk1 and mk2 so can't see why not on a mk3. although will need some investigation I'd imagine.

Border used to do a radiator relocation kit for the mk2 which paired with the vented bonnet apparently making it more functional:

Joesson

My 2002/ pfl has the centre section and the two side sections.
As far as I am aware these are OE.
It could be that the middle/ front most section gets damaged when parking up to a low kerb as in some car parks and subsequently gets removed rather than replaced.

My daily car has a similar section and I have managed to catch that similarly, but it is still attached!

AndrewMason

My standard 52 plate PFL has all 3 parts. There is a thread somewhere on Forum on these items.

Regarding the Toyos, I now have standard size Toyos all round at Club recommended pressures and still not as good as before. Found they were more compliant on the front than worn Potenzas (read more understeer, less tramlining) but feel vague on rear compared to Uniroyal Rainsport 2s.

My conclusion is that if there was a better choice of sizes for our cars most of us would using different make and model of tyre but with limited choices and budget the Toyo is a reasonable compromise. Next time, I'll be looking at the Hankook Vectus to see what sizes they come in.
2002 Red. "Go-Fasta" stripes and matching wheels

trickyD

Andrew, Have you compared versus new Potenzas (i.e. not worn ones)?

I've found the RE040's to be fantastic for stability, progression and steering feel (OK, yes they do tramline), I personally can't think of a better tyre to suit the car.

However, having said that I'm still running on my winter tyres (Falken Eurowinter) which don't feel as bad as some people describe, so maybe my car/set-up is not as tyre sensitive as yours/some? And yes I do drive the car enthusiastically  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]Black 2003 FL Roadster - sold [/size]

Bits for sale!

My Guide to Refurbishing Alloy Wheels

Tags: