Help! Seal failure and its started raining!

Started by Zippee2020, June 24, 2013, 08:25

Zippee2020

Hi guys I've just found some water in the passenger seat of my 2:(

The roof appears sounds and the head lining is all dry

The car is parked on a slight angle, ie leaning towards the drivers side

It looks as if the water is seeping in through the door/roof seal

Has anyone any experience in realising this or replacing the seal ideally supported by photos (!)

Any advice gladly received regarding repairs or replacement if the seal and where I should get the bits from!
2001 Silver MR2 Hardtop 48k 2nd owner from new with Toyosports decat manifold

jinxedkitten

In very high rainfall, I would get a little water leaking in, but accidentally discovered a fairly cheap, quick and easy solution.

I treated the rubber seals with Autoglym rubber and vinyl care, which resulted in both a degree of hydrophobia, and them "plumping up" due to being properly "moisturised", thus creating a tighter seal with the top edge of the window.

If your leak is only small, perhaps this might help? At least worth a try hopefully.
Custard Tart of the Urban Custard Collective<br />Yellow '00 - Frenzy style bar, TD Type LED spoiler, H&S quad exhaust, Zero manifold, Markiii Pipe, Toyo Proxes T1-Rs, Matt Brace, front brace.

2 of the left

Check your window guide (on the leading edge of door frame - there should be a plastic headed metal "shim" which causes the window to form a proper seal when fully closed!)- If it is there then check your soft top around side edges for tears and splits!! - When you put the soft top up make sure the windows are dropped first!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

Two's Company

This has happened to me when I've left it parked an angle during continuous rain. Park it on flat ground and put a hose pipe on it to see if that is the reason. Check the hood has gone under the seal when putting it up. Sometimes the hood goes over the seal which wouldn't help matters.

Tags: