215/45 Mich Pilot Sports VS 215/40 Eagle F1's

Started by Anonymous, June 29, 2004, 12:11

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"
Quote from: "bigun007"Kwik Fit   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  just sorted me out actaully.

Got 2 Michelin Pilot Sports in 215/45/16 for £250 the pair, inc vat and fitted etc etc

are you running pilot sports on the front as well? I'll be interested to see what you make of them, as I think your the first roadster to try them.

That´s right, not even the French got them in the Mr2. I looked at their site and could not found a single one that uses them. That's kind of strange, and probably there are a good reason for that  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

heathstimpson

Quote from: "pp"
Quote from: "bigun007"Kwik Fit   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  just sorted me out actaully.

Got 2 Michelin Pilot Sports in 215/45/16 for £250 the pair, inc vat and fitted etc etc

are you running pilot sports on the front as well? I'll be interested to see what you make of them, as I think your the first roadster to try them.

That´s right, not even the French got them in the Mr2. I looked at their site and could not found a single one that uses them. That's kind of strange, and probably there are a good reason for that  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Probably due to high price me thinks  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

I HAVE to reply to this, today i was in one of the worst storms i have ever driven in (about Edinburgh), people stopped by the side of the motorway and visability was about 50ft with rain lashing about, lightning and thunder simultainiously flashing right in front of us. The motorway resembled a ford (the driven down the wrong way  s:wink: :wink: s:wink: ) and not once did it think my tyres would fail. I actually said to my wife "£ for £ these F1's are the best mod anyone could do"  s8) 8) s8)  Im saying this 8 months after i bought them.

Now i owned my spyder for 2 months with the bridgestones and spun out twice in this time, I was very nervous of damp/wet conditions since my previouse experiences have tought me that even at 20 or 30mph you can spin out if you dont have grip  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

My Eagle F1's are the best thing i have bought for my '2 costing £300 all round (shop about) i would buy them EVERY time now and recommend anyone concerned about grip to buy them. ( Eagle F1s are the second best dry tyre you you can buy commercially and the best wet tyre you can buy for our '2, i dont recall the best brand for dry driving but do recall clearly that that brand was significantly poorer in the wet for only tiny inprovement in the dry)

As you can see i like my tyres now, but once upon a time i was like you   s:P :P s:P    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tem

Quote from: "vibratingsky"Eagle F1s are the best wet tyre you can buy for our '2

Have you driven the '2 with S03's?

They have huge wet grip. They actually grip more on wet than the stock Yokos on dry, according to some GTech tests. Now I haven't driven a '2 with F1's, but I have driven Mk1 MR2 with both. F1's didn't even come close  s:? :? s:?

Edit: DMAN typos
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

I havent tried the SO3 but did seriously consider them.
My choice was decided by a German Independant company which had tested a large sample of tyres and demonstrated the results. each tyre was rated out of 5 for about 10 different conditions. I recall that the F1's scored highest i could find for wet grip (for the road) and second highest for dry, the drawback is that they are not cheap (£320 i was offered locally as a special discount including fitting).

SO3's were my second choice i believe.

Whatever you choose you will get your money back £ for £ in performance, and security and grin factor.

xdesign

I totally agree.

The F1's are the most expensive tyres I've ever put on a car, but they are the best tyres!!! Especially in wet! The grip is better than dry!!!

Anonymous

Does anyone know why MrT fitted 45 profile tyres on the 03 update to 16" wheels, as I would have thought 40 profile would have been the correct change when going up from 15" and 50 profile?   s:? :? s:?

markiii

all gearing dependant, 45 is slightly bigger that the 205/50 and 40 slightly smaller, change teh gearing and you get comfort and looks.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Thanks for that Mark! So if you were upgrading a pre-03 5-speed car to 16" rears (but staying with 15" fronts) what tyre size would you choose, 215/40 or 215/45?   s:? :? s:?

markiii

sounds like your having teh same dilema as me.

215/45 will slow you down slightly in acceleration and increase top speed as the rolling radius is bigger.

215/40 has the reverse effects as teh rolling Radius is slightly smaller.

I've gone for 195/50/15 up front and 215/40/16 at the rear, but only because I wanted F1 tyres. And that was teh best compromise for me.

Assuming you go for the stock 185/55 upfront I'd go 205/45/16 rear, if your tyre choice supports it.

My reasoning being.

1. Keeps the stock 20mm front to back stagger.
2. 45 profile will be slightly more comfatable.
3. rolling radius is almost exactly the same as your stock combo.

This all assumes that your only upgrading for cosmetic reasons. If your trying to change teh behaviour of the car, or are limited by your tyre of choice, you may have to make other compromises.

m http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html m  will help you see the differences involved.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Thanks for that Mark, it's a big help.  s:D :D s:D  To be honest I was thinking of the same set up you have ie: 195/50/15 with 215/40/16 as I am looking at 6.5" rims up front and 7" on the rear.

Cheers.

markiii

intriguing,thats the same wheel sizes I'm using.

Anonymous

It just seems like the best combination to me...

markiii

what tyres are you looking at?

Anonymous

I still haven't decided, it's a nightmare!

I had Goodyear F1's on a Westfield I had a few years ago but I guess  they will have been re-designed since then. Do you recomend them? Someone else suggested Yoko A022's to me, do you know anything about these? The other option is the new Toyo which if they are like the old ones will be quite light which is always a bonus...

markiii

The new F1 D3 is a very very good tyre, I've had them before. A022 may well be good in the dry, but as a semi slick cut race type tyre I wouldn't hold my breath in teh wet.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"Have you driven the '2 with S03's?

They have huge wet grip. They actually grip more on wet than the stock Yokos on dry

I'd second that about S03's.. Made a similar switch on my previous car (from some-strange-make remoulds.. remoulds! Nutcase previous owner..) and found the S03's had more wet grip than the previous (dodgy, I know) tyres in  the dry..

But I still preferred the Toyo Proxes - slightly less dry grip than the S03's, but more progressive.

Very different car, though (much, much heavier), compared to the 2, so all this is just rambling, really.

I'll get me coat.

Aaron, self confessed Toyo lover  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

xdesign

Quote from: "markiii"I've gone for 195/50/15 up front and 215/40/16 at the rear, but only because I wanted F1 tyres. And that was the best compromise for me.

Same here!

Happy with the result!

Tags: