Sorry, drain unblocking?

Started by nimrod, June 27, 2013, 15:02

nimrod

I have not got the bottle to take the side vents off, but I do have a cut down coat hanger I want to use, once in the drain hole where am I aiming for? is it the drain behind the side vents with the flap on it? my usual method of filling pod with warm water and pumping the drain with my hand is only producing a slow trickle, also have I got to be careful when poking the wire down the drain hole? Sorry to mention drain unblocking again...

Flipside

Hi

Take the plunge fella, I was worried about it too, but to really clean the drains you need to take the vents off, a coat hanger will just push the muck down and eventually  block it more,  like said on here lots off electrical tape on the end of a flat screw driver, I also put tape along the edge of the paint work then gently prise off the bottom corner,  you can get you fingers in to gentle pull the rest worse than will happen is you might brake a clip or 2.  

It's the only way to clear them properly
2001 low mileage, mods: K&N 57i gen 2, toyosports manifold and Cobra twin exhaust, unichip. Colour coded side vents and spoiler.  not forgetting the ICE Install, stock sony head unit, sony xa300 aux input, bluetooth connection, 4 channel hertz digital amp, 2 channel hertz ep2 amp, mb quart components, hertz 10" subwoofer in the bins and UD JL 6.5 in sub. Boom!

nathanMR2

You should worry too much. You need to be pretty forceful when removing them but they are pretty tough. At worst your likely to break the little clips but they can be replaced.

Good idea to clean them out about once a year. You'd be surprised how much crap collects in there. I pour water down the side of the hood and use a cotton bud in the drain hole
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

StuC

+1 on taking the plunge. Like Nathan says the vents are pretty tough.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

shnazzle

High pressure hose worked miracles for me  s:) :) s:)  hehehe

Prob not a recommended method but hey it worked and my drive was covered in 2 trees worth of stuff.

Roof down, nozzle against drain at max power and go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
...neutiquam erro.

roger

Instead of a taped screwdriver, consider something like a wooden spatula. Fairly solid, but less likely to do much damage, and also puts the force over a wider area for clip removal.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

shnazzle

I think I paid 12 quid for a full trim removal kit off the bay. It's brilliant.

Has everything you need to remove exterior and interior trim, and even radios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
...neutiquam erro.

2 of the left

Every action has a reaction - These motors are getting on a bit - Should you start removing the vents to get at the drains then undoubtedly you are going to break some of the clips!! - Drop the hood so far so that you can engage a water hose to the top of the drain and flush - If that doesn't work then remove the vents ( and suffer the tedious problem of trying to refit vents after breaking some clips!!)
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

nimrod

We had some rain last night, and the passenger side is sploshing around with water, I will see how brave I am this weekend, is there a drain hole underneath the car, or is a gap by the sill as the water seems come out of a larger area than a drain hole?

damo66

I used a long cable tie... Stiff enough to push through but flexible enough to bend at the bottom so the flap opened.
This will mean the collection of water sloshing about will go, but after reading some other comments it might not clear the drain fully...

nathanMR2

I can't find the post now but someone brought a very extended thin babies bottle cleaner type brush. I have issues as I have to remove my c-one side scoops to get to my drains

AndyM

Seems to have caught a few cars out. It's been very 'wet' rain here the last couple of days too, the sort that doesn't seem heavy but saturates things.

I looked at my '2 this morning and just had a feeling there would be some sort of leakage. Pulled off the drive and heard a 'trickle' directly behind me, checked the bins when I got to work and sure enough, a bit of water in there.

Going to have to try and get the vents off at work at lunchtime as I'm away all weekend and the car will be sat outside.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

nathanMR2

Like I said before this should be a service item. Especially if your car spends a lot of time outside and every more so if anywhere near or under trees.

I clean mine out at least once a year

AndyM

Quote from: "nathanMR2"Like I said before this should be a service item

It is for me now  s:D :D s:D

Anyone know if there are eBay versions of the required clips available? I know one of my driver side ones is already snapped from Ding Day.

nimrod

Good advise, thanks...

Flabby Wings

Quote from: "AndyM"[. . .]
Anyone know if there are eBay versions of the required clips available? I know one of my driver side ones is already snapped from Ding Day.
Likewise.

I had to replace a couple of mine with some of the white clips Halfords sell, but I had to cut them down a bit and they're far from ideal.  So if there are better versions that are easily available, then I'd be keen to know too.
Blue 2001 Roadster: No precats; Aluminium gear linkage bushings; clear side repeaters; K&N panel filter; Hardtop; new PCV; new timing chain tensioner; . . .

Jrichards20

Ohhhh darn rain! Driving off to work this morning, brake for a red light and slosh. *thinks* what in gods name is that*. Accelerate, slosh, slosh. Get to work and the back compartment below the rear windscreen just full of water  s:( :( s:( . Had to get a mug and throw the water out. Got two towels in the back now soaking up the water, very sad.
[strike]2005 Black - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster TURBO[/strike]
[strike]2000 Red - MR2 Roadster[/strike]
[strike]Lotus Elise S2 - Silver[/strike]
[strike]2000 Blue - MR2 V6 Roadster[/strike]
Street Triple 765 RS

nimrod

I think it's all those trees have it in for us, by depositing debris on our cars.

roger

Quote from: "AndyM"Anyone know if there are eBay versions of the required clips available? I know one of my driver side ones is already snapped from Ding Day.

Why not try MrT or CTP. They can't be that expensive.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Flabby Wings

It depends on your definition of ". . . that . . .", and a choice of three sources is better than two.
Blue 2001 Roadster: No precats; Aluminium gear linkage bushings; clear side repeaters; K&N panel filter; Hardtop; new PCV; new timing chain tensioner; . . .

AndyM

Quote from: "roger"Why not try MrT or CTP. They can't be that expensive.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Mr CTP has a PM waiting  s;) ;) s;)

Definitely need to get on this this evening though, got in my car after work and pulled quite sharply out of my parking space to here a sploosh. Checked the bins and they were fairly full and the passenger 'scoop' bit of the hood base was literally full to the brim with water. Used about 10m of paper towel to mop it up as best I could for the drive home but that drain has definitely stopped working.

Think it may be a very recent blockage too as I saw the wet patches at the drain exit points showing them working just a few days ago.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

redarrow

someone correct me, i was reading somewhere that some member's just got rid of the drain and the pipe and never had no more issues.

can that be done or is there, a real need for the drain cover and pipe?

ongoing winter job. (in London we all park near trees and it always raining.)

regards redarrow.
[size=85]These are the dreaded code your get with cheap 02 sensors.
P0135 drivers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 1)
P0155 passengers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 2 sensor 1)
P0141 passengers side down below exhaust position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2[/size]

mrzwei

I'm pretty sure that at least one person on here has left the covers off but , unfortunately, memory fades   s:D :D s:D  
On the face of it, why have the cover in the first place?
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

normanh

Mentioned it so many times before - all you need to unblock the drains is a length of curtain wire, pvc covered and its very unlikely gonna damage anything in the drains like a coat hanger god forbid. Work the wire into the drain and simply rinse with a litre of water to flush the debris. Get a four foot one and it will alson serve to help replace the strap across the roof if it ever comes detached - the strap reduces the ears!

Norman

nathanMR2

Guys don't get leaving your drain cleaning for as long as you have. There are electric components in and around the bins. It's unlikely water will actually get to them even if the bins do fill up with water but remember your ecu is hiding back there and I wouldn't want to risk it.

Tags: