Yay or nay: lowering springs.

Started by Maverikk, June 27, 2013, 21:28

Maverikk

Guys and gals,

I thought I would call upon those more experienced than me in the hallowed ways of the MR2, and get your opinions on something. I am considering fitting lowering springs for my first performance mod, as all of mine so far have been purely cosmetic and related to how the car looks. I don't honestly know a great deal about the supposed advantages and disadvantages of lowering the car, other than what I've gleaned from reading online articles. The apparent disadvantages (according to the sites I've seen) are things like increased tire wear, bumpier driving (doesn't hugely concern me, really) and potential negative effects on other components of the car (engine mounts etc). It seems like most of the MR2 aficionados here have lowered theirs, so I would like some honest views on the pros and cons of doings this. The Tein lowering springs have caught my eye, so I am also up for some comments on them and their performance. Many thanks in advance.

mrzwei

The theory says that you lower the centre of role (may not be the correct term) so there is less weight transfer in cornering and therefore greater grip so it should corner  better.
Aerodynamically there will be less air forced under the bottom of the car which, at speed, should help to reduce lift.

Just looking at a photo of my old 2 on the wall which had standard suspension and you could drive a bus between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch so the best gain from it is probably appearance   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

AckersMR2

Quote from: "mrzwei"you could drive a bus between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch so the best gain from it is probably appearance   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Agreed, that was the main reason for doing mine.
My only car is a Ducati 

Jay67

me too, wheels fit the arches now  s:) :) s:)
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

Bernie

This is the first mod I ever did on my first standard 2 and it really improves the handling and stability at higher speeds.  With the drop and the shocks having to take this up if they have been on for a while they may also require changing over time too.

I went for kyb shocks from Camsklll but that was probably 10,000 miles later when one of the rears started to leak very slightly

It's IMO the first performance mod to be done to a standard car the appearance improvement is an added bonus
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

dcod

Nay for me. Only because I can't find springs that only lower by 10-15mm ... that's why I'm saving up for BC racing coilovers where I can set the height I want   s:D :D s:D  

Don't want 30 mm, as I won't be able to get over the mountainous speed calming I have around my way.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

JiMR2

30 mm isn't that bad, I had to lose the rear nappy to stop it scraping on 70% of bumps near me and avoid the other 30% of bumps... The bumps near me are buggers though, the small block red ones with no curve, so smashed the underside nicely.
AKA Cinnamon Jim

dcod

I've already scraped the bottom of my car on the 'Andes' like squares around my way ... and I'm not lowered   s:( :( s:(
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

JiMR2

Take a diff route or take em slower, allows more posing time  s;) ;) s;)
AKA Cinnamon Jim

MisterK

I was asking a similar question 18 months ago - see link  l viewtopic.php?f=7&t=37143 l .  Based on recommendations I went with the FK Automotive springs.  Really good value and excellent quality.  Ride a little firmer but nothing to complain about, roadholding noticably better and looks are a great improvement which is what I was looking for.  I was worried about local speed bumps but have been pleasantly surprised to find that if taken slowly enough then no problems about grounding, in fact most can be taken at same speed as original springs.
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

AckersMR2

The only thing is the FK ones haven't been in stock for 3 months now?  s:( :( s:(
My only car is a Ducati 

Zonda_

Quote from: "dcod"Nay for me. Only because I can't find springs that only lower by 10-15mm ... that's why I'm saving up for BC racing coilovers where I can set the height I want   s:D :D s:D  

Don't want 30 mm, as I won't be able to get over the mountainous speed calming I have around my way.

Lowering by a centimetre is pointless imo.   I put 40 mm drop springs on mine and we have vicious speed bumps round here and I never notice any difference in clearance terms.
Advantages are: loose the comedy standard ride height and tighten up the handling.
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

puma2

on my 1st every ding day i went to, a lot of cars there were lower and after seeing and then hearing about Mister k had done his, i got mine done straight away.  s:D :D s:D  
that car got written off.  s:flame: :flame: s:flame:    s:flame: :flame: s:flame:  

got a new 2 then 1st thing i did was lower my yellow one i have now  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:  no regrets just all positive.   s:D :D s:D  

better stance   s:) :) s:)   better handling  s:) :) s:)   win win

Maverikk

Thanks for the input, folks.

Maverikk

Just further to this, I've got some Apex springs on order and will be getting some quotes from local garages for fitting costs etc.

The reading I've done seems to suggest there are a few other parts that it would be a good idea to get beforehand, as well. The main one seems to be rear droplinks, "just in case" the current ones have to be basically carved off (which sounds like a common thing for older cars, and mine is an 02 plate). Apart from that, what else might it be wise to have laying around, just "in case"?

ta.

Wabbitkilla

Plusgas, some M10 bolts, and cable ties   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Maverikk

Had a quote for £200 fitted (4 hours work). The mechanic seemed to think that the replacement droplinks would need to be shorter than the current ones, but I'm pretty sure it's a straightforward swap?   s:?: :?: s:?:

Wabbitkilla

Standard length are fine
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

jonty

and it's comically quick to fit springs - you don't need to use a spring compresor since there is very little preload at full shock extension, and can just use a knee to load/unload. It's 5 bolts per shock, plus the abs sensor and drop link. If they are using air tools it should be barely more than 1hr - with hand tools on the drive and in the dark for the last 2 shocks I took 2-2.5 hrs with a halfords tool kit.

wotugonado

Rubber covers on the front shocks on mine were shot. may be worth a look an maybe ordering a set in. Well worth doing imo car looks and handles much better afterwards. £ 200 notes seems a lot. Me and my 10 year old son fitted mine in day so is easily doable. There is a how too on here its a cake walk.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

AckersMR2

Quote from: "wotugonado"Rubber covers on the front shocks on mine were shot.
I'm were shot too, around £30 each if I recall, the rear ones are a lot cheaper but they don't seem so prone to splitting, go figure  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Also the centre nut holding the shock is, so MrT says, a use once item so you should get new ones. I have heard of others saying they came loose when they re used the old ones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
My only car is a Ducati 

Tags: