2000 Spyder Hesitation Issue

Started by Anonymous, July 5, 2013, 08:01

Anonymous

Greetings from Japan!
I just purchased my 2000 Toyota MR-S here in Okinawa but I'm having a weird issue. It wont free rev above say, 15% throttle, it just bogs down. And while your driving the same thing happens. You can only drive it with a lite throttle foot and even then it seems to run out at 5500 RPM. The CEL is on, but for an o2 sensor which I've ordered. I've tried some MAF cleaner, changed the plugs and air filter, fresh gas with cleaner, and tried unplugging almost ever sensor to see if it would revert to default parameters.

I'm thinking either it's the timing is off a tooth, the fuel pump is weak or the MAF is acting crazy.

I've included a video, and around the :25 mark you can see how it acts if I press lightly on the throttle.
http://youtu.be/sWd7o6FXygg

Thanks for any help or suggestions, don't want to drop it at a shop and don't want to buy random parts hoping to fix it.

p3t3

Maybe the Throttle Position Sensor is on its way out?
Any landing you walk away from is a good one!

Anonymous

Depending on miles etc I think you will find its the mad gone put.

Anonymous

Thanks for all the reply's, forgot to add, we recently took the manifold off  around 2 weeks ago and found the pre-cats intact. We removed them though while we were in there though. Oil consumption is little to none ATM, we put around 800km on it so far and I did an oil change when I bought it. No abnormal noises at idle or while revving and no smoke.

02 Sensor should be in early next week to clear the CEL.

Will try to look up the FSM for the TPS diagnosis.

Anonymous

Following someone's advice turns out I was cleaning the wrong part of the MAF, I was cleaning the IAT sensor and not the actual MAF sensor.
I took a few before and after photos, it was DIRTY, like buildup on the sensor. A little cleaning and a few minutes to dry and the car runs like new!

Before:

After:

The part i was cleaning, the IAT sensor:

Thanks for all the help and advice and I hope this will help others out as well.

Tags: