New Engine?

Started by XI Thomas IX, July 10, 2013, 22:07

XI Thomas IX

Hi everyone. My 2 is getting on a bit and needs a new engine. It's only done about 80,000 miles but it's guzzling oil and I've been noticing a lack of power over the past few months, especially in the lower revs.

Anyway, so I've decided I'll treat her to a new engine as soon as possible. However I'd like some advice from you guys first! I know very little about engines and how they work, but I'v ebeen looking at reconditioned engines and seems I'm not going to get away with spending less than £800 (inc fitting). Is it worth spending all that money on a recon, or should I spend a little more and maybe get a 190bhp Celica engine, or something similar? I'd love more power and have the money to spend.

I'd also like to know what other mods I'd have to do to the car if I put a more powerful engine in. Is it just a case or swapping them over? Can the car handle it? Or is there more to it than that?

Any feedback would be brilliant, as I'm probably going to try to sort something out sooner rather than later - I can't keep affording to top her up with a litre of oil every morning!

Thanks!
2001 Silver MR-S TRD Wing Spoiler K & N Induction Kit Abflug Eyelids Toyo Proxes T1-Rs && Cobra Quad

Anonymous

Well to start the only recon place is matt. The ones on eBay well not much can be said good, have a google about them. A 2zz will set you back about the same for the engine, but you need swap parts to carry out the swap like exhaust manifold etc. Or if your really brave and want to spend then speak to Paul woods of woodsport and get a 2gr-fe lump fitted and you will have over 300 BHP.

When mine went I took the rebuild option then turbo, but if I was to do it all over again I would of started with the 2gr. It a very sexy engine.

Wabbitkilla

Considering I've just bought all the parts to precondition my engine and it's going on for the thick end of £1500 it makes me wonder just what these companies are doing to make it so cheap.

You have to accept that an engine is a major part of the car and therefore "expensive". Ok I may be going to town on my engine, but considering these companies are making profits the best these engines are getting is a spruce up and oil change.

If you take your car to someone like Matt, then you are getting a targeted repair of what's wrong with it. It might seem an unknown when you drop it off, but it's likely to be more trustworthy than an engine from eBay.

People also seem to be under the misconception that a 2zz conversion is straightforward and will be immediately reliable. Relative to a v6 conversion it is, but remember you need to transplant the gearbox too or it's a waste of time. Then there are Little sundries like the blockout on the gearbox, fabricated right engine mount, dipstick tube, a couple of additional wires, fabricated intake, New ecu, exhaust manifold.. The Che manifold can only be considered as a "make do", the standard exhaust is too restrictive, and it's nest to get it mapped properly as the exhaust is hugely different to the one the 2zz had fitted unless it's come from a Lotus. Any 2zz coming from a Toyota is now likely to have at least as many miles covered as your 1zz, and the majority will have been well and truly thrashed.

If you're planning on doing it on the cheap then you have one or two disappointments in store unfortunately.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

fretlessfender

If you want someone to do the work, go to Matt. If you're happy to do the job yourself, Chris at CTP had a great offer on Toyota Europe recon short engines with latest piston design. I went down that route recently. Also fitted new timing chain, slippers and rensioner oil seal, clutch and refreshed the cylinder head with new oil seals, springs, recut seats and skim. Make sure the precats are out too!
Underbody bracing, Maxbore TB, Pipercross filter, Pre-cats gone, solid gearchange bushes, Focal A165s + Genesis Profile 2 amp + Eonon head unit, which sort of does everything it claims to but not as well as it should.... Red, 2000, hardtop in the garage for the summer. \":-)\"

loadswine

If you are considering a bit of an upgrade in the rebuild, how about going for one of the enlarged capacity kits from MWR to give a little more grunt? I don't know how that works out cost wise though.
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

Quote from: "loadswine"If you are considering a bit of an upgrade in the rebuild, how about going for one of the enlarged capacity kits from MWR to give a little more grunt? I don't know how that works out cost wise though.

Made my 1zz perform as well as a 2zz without lift.

loadswine

Probably better in real world terms Rich, due to the better torque curve. I wouldn't mind trying one of these with my turbo on it.  s:) :) s:)  Mind you, you already have pretty much that anyway mate!  s:) :) s:)
No Roadster any more, Golf 7.5 GTi Performance

Anonymous

TRUE, but my torque lol as it set to that but still pulls like a train.

XI Thomas IX

Thanks for your replies, guys. Had another tinker with it again today with the mechanics and the engine is pretty much shot by the looks of things. Some of the rocker bolts weren't tightened, which could have had something to do with the oil leakages, and (although I was told it had a full service 9 months ago when I bought the car) it turns out it was never done and I never bothered to check haha. Have decided that, for the sake of just getting a '2 that just feels how it should, I'm going to go for a standard engine, and maybe upgrade further down the line.

I'll look around and speak to Matt before I buy anything, especially the ones off eBay from what you've all said. But if any of you know any decent places to have it fitted it the Midlands then please let me know. There's no way we can do the work by ourselves.

Again, thank you for the feedback, pretty much confirmed what I'd already been told but just didn't want to believe  s:( :( s:(
2001 Silver MR-S TRD Wing Spoiler K & N Induction Kit Abflug Eyelids Toyo Proxes T1-Rs && Cobra Quad

fretlessfender

Matt's at Water Orton, nr the M6 toll M42 junction. You won't get any better.
Underbody bracing, Maxbore TB, Pipercross filter, Pre-cats gone, solid gearchange bushes, Focal A165s + Genesis Profile 2 amp + Eonon head unit, which sort of does everything it claims to but not as well as it should.... Red, 2000, hardtop in the garage for the summer. \":-)\"

XI Thomas IX

Ahh brilliant, didn't realize he was that close, do you have a contact number?

fretlessfender

Have pm'd his number.

Chris

I also have a stock engine for sale should you be looking for another option
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

XI Thomas IX

Thanks for all your help guys, but I believe I have something sorted now. I'll keep you posted!

XI Thomas IX

Provisionally bought an engine from Chris now, hopefully everything works out  s:) :) s:)

Chris

This deal appears to have fallen through for now, so engine is still available - snap it up quick peeps!! bore I chuck it on flea-bay...
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Tags: