Vacuum oil extractors

Started by Warren172, July 11, 2013, 10:00

Warren172

Just been reading up on these. Can use them on BMW and some German brands as the dipstick goes straight down. Anyone know if they would work on the mr2? Would make oil changes v easy!
 m http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=875569 m

dcod

A friend uses one all the time. Not sure about the 2. I guess it's a case of checking the diameter of the tube (I think some supply various tubes).
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

dj2k21

Ive got one. The tube is very narrow but never used it on the 2. There alright for a normal car really but you wont get all the oil out like you would with dropping the sump plug out.

Ive actually used mine more often to remove fuel from cars (not illegal activity) just hate selling cars with full tanks haha
[size=85]Veilside Fortune Kit| Veilside Andrew Racing Wheels| Veilside Pro-Drag Exhaust | MWR Stage 4 Race Built Engine | FRD Custom Turbo Conversion | Veilside Turbo Manifold | Link G4 ECU | Flocked & Leather Trimmed Interior | Cobra Misano Seats | Cobra 4 Point Harnesses | Face Lift Front & Rear Lights | Corky\'s Breast Plate | C-one Rear Strut Brace | C-one Engine Damper | Speed Source Engine Mount Inserts | Tein Super Street Coilovers & EDFC | Defi Oil Pressure & Boost Gauges & Daisy Chain Control Unit | BMC Air Intake | D2 8 Pot Big Brake Conversion | Plus Much Much More![/size]

nathanMR2

Given you really need to remove the under plastics, if only in part, to get to the oil filter I couldn't really see much benefit in this. It's hardly a difficult job to undo the sump plug, let it pour and im sure that the natural gravity would help drain anything you wouldn't want in there out.
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

K T M Rider

I've got one.

One of these to be exact:  m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Silverline-Oi ... 4ac5dd1f97 m

Well, actually to be REALLY exact I've got two of them 'cos if you get a bit carried away and suck any oil or petrol into the vacuum plunger it ruins the seals   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Brilliant for oil changes on my Fabia diesel, as you access the paper oil filter in the engine bay from above, so no need to go under the car and remove the plastic undertray etc for anything. Makes oil changes a breeze.

Wouldn't use it on the MR2 for the two reasons already touched on :

1) you need to get under the car to remove the oil filter (and you need a drain pan under there for that anyway)

2) You are probably going to leave around a quarter litre of old oil in your sump. Not something I'd be worried about on a VAG diesel which are strong engines with extended drain intervals, definitely something to be more concerned about with the MR2, given the well documented oil control ring issue.

My recommendation for easy oil changes on the MR2 (and for about the same money as an extractor) would be a set of car ramps  m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-PAIR-OF-2-T ... 4854537794 m

Cheapo standard ones are fine for the rear of the car.

Give you lots of easy access to the sump plug and filter, once it's down to a occasional drip of oil, replace the sump plug hand tight, roll the car down the ramps and remove again to get the last bit of oil out.
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

redarrow

290901354482 ebay i tem i use £5

Your going to lauth earns me mates with people
Using wrong fue hundredsl lol

All we do is add a smaller pipe on the end,
Then use on your mr2.

Home made but works.

Regards redarrow / john
[size=85]These are the dreaded code your get with cheap 02 sensors.
P0135 drivers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 1)
P0155 passengers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 2 sensor 1)
P0141 passengers side down below exhaust position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2[/size]

Markb

I bought a couple of the Silverline pumps,i think it was s 2 litre and a 4 litre,i used them on the other cars for getting most of the power steering fluid out and partial coolant changes,never used them for oil though,just as handy pulling the sump plug.

smarty72

I hadn't considered doing my oil changes using a vacuum extractor.  Having looked into them I decided it seems to be a great idea and just purchased a Pela 6000   s:) :) s:)  

Don't think I would have used it on the Mr2 but as I currently run two VW diesels this will save a lot of hassle removing the plastic under trays as they are a real PITA!,,
current: Astral Black FL

Ex: Forest Green 2003.

Tags: