2ZZ Swap - O2 Sensor Error Codes

Started by Alex Knight, July 18, 2013, 17:20

Alex Knight

Hi all,

We have just completed a 2ZZ swap using a MWR harness adapter and a Celica 190 ECU.

I am now getting the following codes:

P0135 (O2 heater circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0141 (O2 heater circuit Bank 1 Sensor 2)

I am now only using ONE O2 sensor, and that is the POST CAT O2.

I am guessing that this is the reason, as probably it is looking for a primary (pre-CAT) O2 sensor?

Any ideas?

Other than that, it runs great! I must say that Lift is very addictive!

N.B. When using the MWR harness adapter, you need to re-pin x5 immobiliser wires, as the MWR loom has no provision for these!

dcod

Celica ECU only monitors 1 pre cat (bank 1 normally) and 1 post cat sensor (bank 1 means nothing)... it looks like it's complaining about all sensors it can monitor   s:? :? s:?  

Sensor 2 (post cat) is not very important as all it does is monitor cat efficiency.

Where are your precat sensor(s)? How many do you have? Do you have a dummy one? If so, swap the two precat sensors around and see if the dummy fixes it. The sensor may be duff.
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

Alex Knight

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using a CHE manifold, and it doesn't have a provision for a pre-cat lambda!

We're going to weld a new O2 boss onto the downpipe before the cat and fit a lambda sensor there.

What did you do, assuming you have the same manifold as me?!

dcod

I have a 1zz manifold with a 2zz flange welded on to it. Thus I have two precat sensors even thought the left sensor (bank 2) is a not wired in. It's like a holder for a spare.

My setup works but is not the most efficient. Putting in the sensor just before the cat should be ideal.

The precat sensor is a MUST as it controls all your fueling. The post cat sensor will only be required for MOTs when they introduce MOT failure if EML is on (don't think it's been introduced yet)
Ezekiel 23:20 "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses"

I bought a "Lean Mean Fat Reducing Grilling Machine" to lose weight. I put on five stone. I blame the delicious gravy it makes.

dcod

Glad you're enjoying your addiction (lift)   s:D :D s:D  

Have you driven when the air is cool yet? (7-8am) Lift comes in more pronounced   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

Alex Knight

No, not driven it in anything but hot weather yet.

I have a PPE intake, and the filter is very close to the exhaust manifold.

I think I'm going to relocate it to behind the battery with a 45 degree bend silicone hose. Any idea what size ID the intake piping is?

Lift I don't think is as aggressive as B-Series VTEC, but I know that those engines are deliberatley mapped to start dropping torque before the VTEC switchover to make the change feel more pronounced.

dcod

Searching the internet it seems to be 2.75" OD and 2.6" ID ... but don't quote me on that.

Mine is aluminium that bends down behind the battery towards the side air intake.

Alex Knight

Awesome, thanks chap.

dcod

You may want to have a read of this. It talks about sizes and MAFs. I have a feeling its about the size around the MAF that is important (for its calculation) rather than the whole pipe size.

m http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=127862 m

Alex Knight

Ok, so I am getting closer!

Last night we welded in a primary O2 sensor bung, and plugged it into the drivers side 02 harness and it's working a treat!

However I am now getting a P0141 code, which is the POST cat sensor.

I'm fairly sure that the sensor is ok, but my question is this:

Does the ECU need to be bolted to the chassis to earth the ECU itself?

Mine is currently not!

dcod

Not sure about the ground on the ECU but it makes sense. The ECU may be grounded through the wiring harness itself ... or are you talking about the physical chassis?

As for the 141, you probably have a duff sensor. £50-60 OEM Denso from  w www.sparkplugs.co.uk w  (DOX-0206)

Alex Knight

Thanks dude,

Yes, I'm talking about the physical ECU. The 1ZZ ECU was bolted to the chassis, and it may ground that way. The 2ZZ ECU is currently loose (temp), so I will bolt it up and see if that makes a difference.

The only other thing is that I have been running the car without a primary O2 sensor for about 100 miles, and as a result the diagnostics said that the ECU was adding 20% fuel as a safety precation.

Would an overly rich mixture have killed the secondary sensor?

It was 100% working fine before the 2ZZ swap.

dcod

Quote from: "Alex Knight"Would an overly rich mixture have killed the secondary sensor?

Not sure. Have you tried cleaning it? It may have become fouled up. With swaps (and exhaust changes), the cables are often played around with, so the wire in the cable may have broken.

Cap

Quote from: "Alex Knight"Yes, I'm talking about the physical ECU. The 1ZZ ECU was bolted to the chassis, and it may ground that way. The 2ZZ ECU is currently loose (temp), so I will bolt it up and see if that makes a difference.

No the ECU does not need to be bolted to the chasis..  I've run both 1ZZ and 2ZZ ECU's loose on a cloth above my fuel tank while I've been doing Logging and Experiments..  same operation  ..

QuoteWould an overly rich mixture have killed the secondary sensor?..It was 100% working fine before the 2ZZ swap.

NO..  the 141 refers to the heater of the O2 Sensor..  they do not like to be jostled about when old..  and will fail..  I've had to replace my post cat sensor Every 120K Miles..  going on #3 now..  lets see if I have to replace it ( post Cat sensor ) at 360 K miles  s:) :) s:)  

My original main Sensors are still working properly at 280K Mles..  Still getting 36 Miles per US Gallon

Cap

Tags: