what do irregular cylinder bore measurements indicate

Started by Anonymous, July 16, 2003, 15:21

Anonymous

Claire

The part-finance with Toyota Finance could be to your advantage,because they are all part of the same bleeping bureaurocratic organisation  s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:  I don't think that the Courts would be too impressed if MrT used that fact to get out of their responsibilities.

Sytners wanted to pay the liqidator £15,000 for all the previous Hamer sales paperwork. They couldn't get any co-operation so reported the matter to Carl Hamer himself. How do I know this  s:?: :?: s:?:   Hamer Toyota business services in Tamworth (invoices and car tax etc) mixed up the V55s between my car and another when we had personalised registration numbers put on brand new cars. This only came to light when a warranty claim was thrown out by Toyota because they said my car had already had alloy wheels replaced. The mess they created took me between 3 and 4 months to sort out, with the help of the VRO office in Birmingham. The lack of any sales paperwork didn't help. I used this mistake by Tamworth to screw another £500 trade-in allowance out of Sharon Rickers when buying my wife a Yaris T Sport in early February.

I hope all this essay helps. As the saying goes,
Quotedon't let the bastards grind you down  s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:  

s:) :) s:)    s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Two comments.

1. If this engine was really rebuilt without oil in it, and has been driven, then I would not be happy to accept anything but a complete replacement engine, as clearly big ends and all internal moving parts will be shagged from running without oil - but surely you would have noticed the oil and stop lights (no oil = no oil pressure), so I wonder if this is really true. Did you check the oil level regularly (weekly?).

2. I believe as long as more than £100 of the car is financed, the finance company are jointly and severably liable for breach of contract with the retailer, and this liability is not limited to the amount of the finance, I think it is capped at £35k. Basically this means if you paid a £500 deposit on your credit card and the car was deemed to be faulty, the credit card company would have to give you ALL your money back. Toyota will run their finance arm as a seperate company, but this doesn't help them in this case. Of course, this protection applies to the original fault, and perhaps not to the subsequent faulty work, although it might be possible to argue that as the warranty was part of the original purchase, then everything is covered.

Anonymous

Hi
I know you answered this topic ages ago but in response to your first comment you will notice in my earlier comments regarding the engine being rebuilt without oil that I was only repeating Toyota GB head office pathetic excuse as to why the engine blew up a second time. I agree i would have not made it half a mile down the road without the engine ceasing but this shows their policy of pass the buck regardless of any potential damage that could be caused to the business of that dealership.
However yes I do check my oil level although at that moment in time not weekly more likely every two weeks.
As regards to the oil and stop lights coming on as a warning or rather the absence on each occassion i too asked Toyota H/O over and over as to why they did not detect the rapid dissapearance of oil from the engine whilst it was running and got a simple answer they don't function they are simply cosmetic! Apparantly that is acceptable and quite normal in other Toyota models. Thanks for the comments though.

Quote from: "jblackmore"Two comments.

1. If this engine was really rebuilt without oil in it, and has been driven, then I would not be happy to accept anything but a complete replacement engine, as clearly big ends and all internal moving parts will be shagged from running without oil - but surely you would have noticed the oil and stop lights (no oil = no oil pressure), so I wonder if this is really true. Did you check the oil level regularly (weekly?).

2. I believe as long as more than £100 of the car is financed, the finance company are jointly and severably liable for breach of contract with the retailer, and this liability is not limited to the amount of the finance, I think it is capped at £35k. Basically this means if you paid a £500 deposit on your credit card and the car was deemed to be faulty, the credit card company would have to give you ALL your money back. Toyota will run their finance arm as a seperate company, but this doesn't help them in this case. Of course, this protection applies to the original fault, and perhaps not to the subsequent faulty work, although it might be possible to argue that as the warranty was part of the original purchase, then everything is covered.

Anonymous

Thanks for followup, and sorry if you thought I was suggesting you were at fault, I was just asking the question.

Also, on the original question on 'irregular bore measurements', I would normally read this to mean oval or flared bores, ie the cylinders should be perfectly round and perfectly straight (not wider or narrower at any one point). Iregular wear can be caused by lubrication problems, small end probs, piston ring issues and a few other nasty things.

If this is what they meant, and the bores are indeed not round and true, then putting new (round) pistons in will not last very long - which might be consistent with what you've seen, it would also cause a fair amount of piston slap blow by and oil consumption, again, all sounds a bit familiar.

I know its easy for us to say, and much harder to get Toyota or the dealer to do, but I would be pushing for a new engine, or rejecting the entire car as not fit for purpose (ie to drive), either under sale of goods, or consumer credit acts - but going legal is a real pain, and a last resort.

As for Toyota saying the oil light is cosmetic, this is another stupid phone dolly (of either gender) talking complete crap - clearly the oil light and pressure switch are vital and you can tell they are working as the oil light comes on with the ignition and goes out as soon as the engine turns over. In fact I believe most modern ECUs actually wait for oil pressure to come up before fuel/ignition start to reduce engine wear on startup as part of their startup sequencing.

Hope you manage to get this sorted out, and update us with any progress.

James.

Tags: