Clunking noise

Started by Pavett1990, August 19, 2013, 22:38

Pavett1990

So when I was out and about tonight in the 2 I spotted a pot hole on a 50mph road.. Tried to avoid it best I could (at 50mph I spotted it late) managed to avoid it hitting the front wheel but I caught the back passenger side a treat...

Now I have a clunking noise coming from that area.. When I hit a bump in the road or go over a speed bump..

Now when I lowered my car I noticed that the drop links weren't amazing and couldn't afford to replace them at the time (will be doing this week) but to you think the impact could have finished one off? Or could this be worse?

I don't have a mechanically minded brain so I don't have a clue but want to avoid hefty labour fees..

Any tips or info would be great guys

Thanks

Ash
Japshow 2014 Organiser viewtopic.php?f=13&t=50853

If Speed Kills Me, Don\'t Cry Because I Was Smiling - Paul Walker

2 of the left

Get your 2 hoisted and get a professional to have a look - You may have to live with it a while but sure as eggs are eggs there is damage until you have the "readies"!! Must admit it sounds like your "Shocks" from what you describe  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

Pavett1990

Quote from: "2 of the left"Get your 2 hoisted and get a professional to have a look - You may have to live with it a while but sure as eggs are eggs there is damage until you have the "readies"!!

Do you think this could have been the drop link finally go? As I'd assume they will clunk?

2 of the left

Quote from: "Pavett1990"
Quote from: "2 of the left"Get your 2 hoisted and get a professional to have a look - You may have to live with it a while but sure as eggs are eggs there is damage until you have the "readies"!!

Do you think this could have been the drop link finally go? As I'd assume they will clunk?
Think shocks!!

Pavett1990

Quote from: "2 of the left"
Quote from: "Pavett1990"

Think shocks!!

Right ok will have a look thanks

2 of the left

AND then sue your Council for the deplorable state of your local roads!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Pavett1990

Quote from: "2 of the left"AND then sue your Council for the deplorable state of your local roads!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

The roads are disgusting at the moment.. They just digging them up and throwing stones on them, enforcing 20mph speed limit and leaving them

tomaky

The council are very much liable gather your evidence, pictures of hole and size are a good start.
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

Pavett1990

Quote from: "tomaky"The council are very much liable gather your evidence, pictures of hole and size are a good start.

Brill cheers mate

Jay67

get a knock from knackered droplinks too Ash.
Jason

1999 Lagoon blue MR-S, lots of stuff

Pavett1990

Quote from: "Jay67"get a knock from knackered droplinks too Ash.

To check them jay I assume its take wheel off and have a pull and listen for knocking?

Jay67

Just reach round and get hold of the droplink and see if there's any up/down movement, give the car a bounce on that corner and push it side to side and listen, might be able to pinpoint where it's coming from. Be a good idea to take the wheel off to have a good look around though, especially if it was one of those Welsh potholes.  s;) ;) s;)
Jason

Pavett1990

Quote from: "Jay67"Just reach round and get hold of the droplink and see if there's any up/down movement, give the car a bounce on that corner and push it side to side and listen, might be able to pinpoint where it's coming from. Be a good idea to take the wheel off to have a good look around though, especially if it was one of those Welsh potholes.  s;) ;) s;)

Ok mate cheers will bash it off tomorrow...

Yeah our potholes have postcodes lol

Jay67

I know mate, drove into one on the way back from yours, thought I was in a tunnel!
Jason

Pavett1990

Quote from: "Jay67"I know mate, drove into one on the way back from yours, thought I was in a tunnel!

Lol

nathanMR2

Good possibility its the drop link.

Have you had it lowered recently?
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

Pavett1990

Quote from: "nathanMR2"Good possibility its the drop link.

Have you had it lowered recently?

Yeah mate within the last 2 months

nathanMR2

Were the top central suspension nuts reused??

If so check they havent started to undo and replace.

Soon after I had my lowering springs on the car, my front offside started knocking and it was due to the top nuts undoing themselves. I believe they have a nylon thread on them and once broken should not really be reused. Many people have without ill affect but a number have been known to come undone. For the money its best off replacing them IMHO

Pavett1990

Quote from: "nathanMR2"Were the top central suspension nuts reused??

If so check they havent started to undo and replace.

Soon after I had my lowering springs on the car, my front offside started knocking and it was due to the top nuts undoing themselves. I believe they have a nylon thread on them and once broken should not really be reused. Many people have without ill affect but a number have been known to come undone. For the money its best off replacing them IMHO

Brilliant nath thanks ill have a look now

Jay67

Basically Ash, check everything on that side  s;) ;) s;)
Jason

Pavett1990

Lol thank you  s:D :D s:D

Pavett1990

Nath do you mean this?

I had a look at the drop links they seem pretty secure.. No noises when moving them..

However the bolt at the top of strut was loose so I tightened it and now no knocking (for the time being)

nathanMR2

Thats the one.

Replace all 4. These can be obtained from Toyota or CTP.

Do not over tighten and ideally use the correct torque on them.

Should be ok to drive in the mean time but keep an eye on it. Do you have any PTFE tape you could put around the thread perhaps for the time being

Pavett1990

Quote from: "nathanMR2"Thats the one.

Replace all 4. These can be obtained from Toyota or CTP.

Do not over tighten and ideally use the correct torque on them.

Should be ok to drive in the mean time but keep an eye on it. Do you have any PTFE tape you could put around the thread perhaps for the time being

PTFE? Lol

nathanMR2

Take that as a no  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Should be able to pick some up at any DIY store. Wrap it around the thread and then put the nut on. It should help it hold for a bit

Tags: