Windscreen Wipers Won't Turn Off

Started by Capvermell, August 21, 2013, 10:23

Capvermell

This is continuing the previous discussion from  l viewtopic.php?p=381035 l  as the problem with the wipers going non stop has now recurred after managing to eliminate it for a while.

I got a complete new column stalk and attached terminal block etc from a breaker's yard and managed to fit it  but it successfully but it made no difference.  I then put back the original and fiddled with it more.  Still no difference.

Then I checked the washer fuse and found that blown.  I replaced the washer 10A fuse in the compartment next to the passenger door and voila the wipers stopped.  I drove for thousands of miles and the wipers were still stopped.  Then after using the windscreen washer heavily the fuse blew again and the wipers went non stop again.  I fitted another 10A fuse and all was well for a while.

Later whilst in Wales and using the wipers and washers the fuse blew again and the wipers went non stop.  Since then replacing the 10A washer fuse does no good as it keeps blowing if replaced.  So now i have the 20a wiper fuse removed again to stop the wipers.

If you look at the original post someone mentions an issue with an earth connection to the column stalk assembly for the wipers potentially being to blame.  I wonder if it is this earth connection that is faulty?  However due to water ingress in to the car in the winter due to a tatty soft top I am fearful that the earth could be corroded through on this circuit in the wiring loom in some inaccessible place.  This is the kind of problem that could cost hundreds or thousands to address potentially.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on solving this.  Please note that I don't need any sanctimonious lectures on driving round a car with no windscreen wipers etc.  I can provide wiper function by putting the fuse in.  I am pretty adept at that by now despite the fiddly nature of fitting and removing fuses in the fuse box next to the passenger door.

Please be realistic that is an 11 year old car with 77,000 miles on the clock and that faults like this can potentially mean the end of a car's useful life if fixing them involves replacing the whole wiring loom.

Alex Knight

I *think* that the earth for the windscreen wipers is under the frunk plastic cover. It earths to somewhere near the N/S front wing.

If memory serves correctly, there are two earths around there, one for the wipers and one for the indicators. Both next to each other, held in with 10mm bolts.

HTH

Capvermell

Quote from: "Alex Knight"I *think* that the earth for the windscreen wipers is under the frunk plastic cover. It earths to somewhere near the N/S front wing.

If memory serves correctly, there are two earths around there, one for the wipers and one for the indicators. Both next to each other, held in with 10mm bolts.

Thanks for the information.  However I suppose its also possible the earth has come off a terminal on the connector block the column stalk plugs in to underneath the steering wheel plastic covers or as a worst case that it has separated due to corrosion in a wiring loom between the column stalk and the earth point under the front bonnet area.  I suppose the fact that the washer circuit and wiper circuit seem to be cross connected/short circuiting in some way now gives cause for concern and points to a potential short in the wiring as replacing the column stalk did not do the job.  The washer fuse blows the next time the wipers are used and once the washer fuse is blown the wipers run non stop even though I can change from slow to fast but cannot use stop or intermittent settings.

AckersMR2

I would be investigating the washer wiring and earth as it sounds like the wipers think the washer is spraying as so the wipers are wiping as they should if you were spraying the washers constantly.
I presume when it happens the washers aren't actually squirting?
As you have changed the stalk and this has not fixed it, the problem must lay beyond here, either where the stalk plugs in or further, but if it was me I'd start there, then the fuse box and on to the earths?
Sorry I can't be of more help  s:-( :-( s:-(
My only car is a Ducati 

Capvermell

Quote from: "AckersMR2"I would be investigating the washer wiring and earth as it sounds like the wipers think the washer is spraying as so the wipers are wiping as they should if you were spraying the washers constantly.

Yes I'm also beginning to think this although the trigger for the whole saga was when I actually struck the column stalk hard with my hand by accident.  After this the windscreen wipers ran continuously until the fuse was pulled.  However I later found I could put the wiper fuse back and get the wipers to stop if the wiper fuse (which proved to be blown) was replaced.  However the wiper fuse now keeps blowing repeatedly after previously not blowing for several hundred miles at a time after being replaced.

QuoteI presume when it happens the washers aren't actually squirting?

Correct.  It happens without the washers being squirted via the column stalk although trying to squirt them makes no difference as their fuse is already blown.

QuoteAs you have changed the stalk and this has not fixed it, the problem must lay beyond here, either where the stalk plugs in or further, but if it was me I'd start there, then the fuse box and on to the earths?  Sorry I can't be of more help  s:-( :-( s:-(

I agree with your suggested sequence.  However it may need an auto electrician to pinpoint the fault and to rectify.  The difficulty is identifying a trustworthy one who is not a shark out to charge every last penny he can.  Note that some auto electricians looking to get rich quick seem keen to recommend replacing whole fuse boxes or wiring looms unnecessarily from what I seem to have read on line.

Wabbitkilla

Wiring problems are a pita to track down, frustrating, you've done the first step by replacing the stalk ... it need to be done just to ensure there was nothing lurking in there.

There are 4 earth points only in the cabin.
2 are at the top of the centre console one on either side of the metal rails holding the radio.
2 are at the bottom of the a-pillars hidden behind the plastics when the plastics which runs under the door meets the panel next to your feet when you're sat in the car.

Under the drunk plastics there are another 4 earths.
Two are behind the brake master servo and two are on the suspension turret to the rear of the fuse and relay box.

I reckon if you hard an earth problem you would have a lot more other problems too, but worth seeking them out to be sure they're OK.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Capvermell

Quote from: "Wabbitkilla"I reckon if you hard an earth problem you would have a lot more other problems too, but worth seeking them out to be sure they're OK.

I think the earth problem, if it exists, is only on the earth wire from the wiper column stalk to the earth point and is not a general disconnection of one of the major earth points covering several other circuits in the car.

Annoyingly what I didn't test when I had the other wiper stalk in place was replacing the washer circuit fuse as I didn't realise it was blown at that time.   However when the other wiper stalk was in place the wipers did still run non stop unless the 20A wiper fuse was removed.

So it is possible the other column stalk does not keep blowing the wiper circuit like the original one does.  It may be inherent that when the washer fuse has already blown the wipers then run all the time until the washer fuse is replaced.

Time to put back the other wiper stalk and replace the 10a fuse for the washer circuit again I think.

locobuilder brian

Your problem is almost certainly the parking position switch within the wiper motor!
Pull apart the multiplug to the motor. There will be probably 3 cables.a negative. b live when motor switched on.c live when ignition switched on.
In normal operation b is powering  motor. when you switch off motor this feed is lost but the motor needs to move to the park poition so power
is provided by c till it reachs the park position where a switch operated by a cam cuts that feed stopping the motor in the park position.
Could be an easy fix if the motor will come apart to free the switch.
Regards Bri e

cabbydave

Check you haven't got a trapped wire for the washer pump. Does the fuse blow every time you use the washers?

locobuilder brian

wiper motor wiring
Slow speed is blue/black terminal 5. High speed blue/red terminal 3. blue parking position live terminal 2. blue/white parking position feed terminal 1.
white/black earth terminal 4.
In every position except wipers parked in correct position there should be continuity across terminals 1 & 2. the internal switch is across those two wires.
Regards Bri e

Tags: