Cost to fit an engine?

Started by Zonda_, August 22, 2013, 20:20

Zonda_

Weighing up what to do with my car,  can't afford a recon/rebuild and was wondering what it would cost to have a Second hand one fitted.
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

trevsmr2

Quote from: "Zonda_"Weighing up what to do with my car,  can't afford a recon/rebuild and was wondering what it would cost to have a Second hand one fitted.
Give mattperformance a shout

Zonda_

Already have but he's too far away from me.
2001 Roadster, che manifold, 40mm lowering springs, BMC Carbon intake mounted behind battery.

cabbydave

I could fit it for you in our workshop price would depend on what came with the secondhand engine obviously it would need a oil flush new oil and filter and new antifreeze at the very least, but if your doing that you might as well put air filter and plugs in as well.

redarrow

Why dont you get a appointment with mattproformance on here, and get a breakdown recovery take you there and do it properly.

i was told you can get a breakdown service to take your car anywhere in the uk, to your garage for repairs.

you dont need to attend the ride there, and then when you  collect it, it a nice drive home and the car be perfect as mattproformance a guru in these cars.

only my opinion he rebuilds the engine all day so he no his stuff properly with the mr2.
[size=85]These are the dreaded code your get with cheap 02 sensors.
P0135 drivers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 1)
P0155 passengers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 2 sensor 1)
P0141 passengers side down below exhaust position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2[/size]

Anonymous

How much does matt charge for a engine change anyway?

tomaky

Rebuild is £975 and from personal experience its very very well done!
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

Zonda_

Unfortunately my car only cost £25 more than that and I can't justify spending virtually the cost of the car again.

Anonymous

To have one taken out and another fitted is going to be around £400, then cost of the secondhand could go bang tomorrow engine cost is on top of that. In the grand scheme of things it would be better to take it to matt. If the cost bothers you then maybe time to part ways with the car and sell it on as spares or repairs.

tomaky

It all depends entirely what you have planned in the future, keep the car more than 2 years 100% worth it sell in a year maybe not, cars going to be worth more with a rebuild remember.
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

Zonda_

So far looking at £500 for a low mileage late type engine and £250 to have it fitted.

tomaky

Hmm interesting, hard decision as its not far off the rebuild hmm what history on the engine?
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

Zonda_

It's off a member on here,  from a 2005 car.

tomaky

Thinking more milage service history. Speaking to Matt this week unless its a 06 then its just as likely to be oil burner than a fl unless its well maintained they can all end up burners.
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

redarrow

I am sure that matt way best because he
No the car so well so his rebuilds are
 bulletproof.

And let be honest if the car rebuilt
Incorrectly it be on the scrap heap  

If it was me sorry ill go  matt solid build
And if any problems full support here.

Don't forget matt does racing car builds
For the mr2, and drives a race car,
I don't think you get better value for
A thousand pound.
[size=85]These are the dreaded code your get with cheap 02 sensors.
P0135 drivers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 1)
P0155 passengers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 2 sensor 1)
P0141 passengers side down below exhaust position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2[/size]

s12vea

Quote from: "Zonda_"So far looking at £500 for a low mileage late type engine and £250 to have it fitted.

For only a little bit more I would be paYing matt to rebuild the engine as the work will have warranty. Otherwise you could find yourself in the same situation again.
Failing that prob best to break the car and then use the money to buy another mr2 with good history. But again there could be a risk.
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

Zonda_

Quote from: "s12vea"
Quote from: "Zonda_"So far looking at £500 for a low mileage late type engine and £250 to have it fitted.

For only a little bit more I would be paYing matt to rebuild the engine as the work will have warranty. Otherwise you could find yourself in the same situation again.
Failing that prob best to break the car and then use the money to buy another mr2 with good history. But again there could be a risk.

This has proved history counts for nothing in this case, my car has a full toyota history. It's not a little bit more either,  I've messaged matt and it's nearly double the price to have my engine rebuilt.

tomaky

Double which price?
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

s12vea

I thought you said it £975 for rebuild?
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

mr mr2

I must say next year ill be asking matt to take a good look at my engine it runs fantastic but I want to keep the car log term and I don't think I'd let any one eles look at it if your engine is sorted abd fitted by matt then it should be as good as new but 2nd hand engine it's pot luck wot every you do I really hope it works out
Excelsior

Zonda_

I did but when he messaged me he said I was looking at £1300.

cabbydave

Its all down to cost if you haven't got £1500 to throw at your car then secondhand is the only way out. How long is the warranty on one of Matts engines out of interest?

mrzwei

Quote from: "Zonda_"I did but when he messaged me he said I was looking at £1300.

You have to dismantle the engine to assess its current condition and then it may need machining and certainly new parts to bring it up to factory spec.
That takes time and more importantly expertise which is what you need to pay for on a rebuild.

CTP will sell you a new guaranteed short engine for around £800 I THINK but that may not include the dreaded vat.  Then you need to get it assembled and fitted plus you need to get the old one out and the condition of the head ect. still needs to be assessed.

Plenty of firms will swop your old 1ZZ for a second hand one for less money but just make sure you get some sort of warranty.

If you want to keep the car then options 1 or 2 are no brainers.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Wabbitkilla

£1300 is about right considering the parts and work required to recondition an engine properly.
It depends how complete you want to go with it, I spent nearer £2k in all and that didn't include the labour for the rebuild, removal and refit. The engine is THE major part of the car, why would you think it's going to be cheap? If you buy a second hand engine you could be buying problems, if you buy one of these so-called re-manufactured engines you can't really trust they've done a proper job. You can get the Toyota short engine for £800 inclusive but then you still need chain, slippers, and possible oil and water pumps. Then there's cleaning up the head, grinding in the valves, valve guide oil seals and shims, you still need gaskets oil, coolant, and sealant. Not to mention Toyota recommend new head bolts ... But you can get away with re-using them most of the time.

You can solve problems by doing it properly, or you can just waste money and continue having problems by skimping.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

tomaky

Price always going to be subject to the state of the engine and components.
Westfield Seiw
Ex - 2003 Sable

Tags: