Improve BHP without turbo

Started by swampy_donkey, August 24, 2013, 12:20

swampy_donkey

Hi guys,

I was just wondering the best way to improve BHP without the addition of a turbo kit. I'm quite new to all this and the search turns up too many confusing responses.

Any responses much appreciated.

Many thanks

Rob
K&N panel filter - Markiii Pipe - TRD Style Bar - Chrome Filler Cap - Hard Top - Clear Side Indicators - Visor Plugs - Dev\'s Keyhole Covers - Silver Callipers - Pioneer DEH-4400BT + CD-SR110 - Red Leather Interior - Red footwell LEDs - Mud Flaps - Custom fit luggage - OBDII reader

Wabbitkilla

Quite expensively   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
 l viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27521 l
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Andys-N20

Depends on how much you are planning on adding.
Looking at the link 'Wabbitkilla' gave you I divert your attention to the post by 'MR 2ster'

Age of Car:
2000 Original Engine

Miles completed:

Engine Mods:
None

Induction Mods:
Markiii induction pipe.......                          You can use silicon hose etc so this could be as little as £15.00
TOM's Panel Filter.......                                A branded panel filter is about £30-£40
Slightly tweaked induction pipe.......           Not sure what this mod was

Exhaust Mods:
Decatted manifold.......                               You can do that for free
Apexi N1 exhaust.......                                 Second hand sports exhaust could be about £200 ish

Engine Electronics:
Dastek Unichip......                              I think this will only make about 3 BHP so you should be looking at about 155BHP without it
Iridium spark plugs.......                             about £25

Mapping:
Not yet!

All other components fitted to the car are handling related - springs and bracing etc.

Performance:
157.4 BHP
140 Lb Ft at 4400 RPM
7000 rev limit

Give the car a service and clean the MAF ontop of this to restore lost power and you could be looking at about 153 - 155 BHP for about £350
After that I think every pony is going to cost you dearly .
Then you have weight loss, some people remove the spare wheel etc...
204.2 BHP Silver 2000 MR2, 2006 2ZZ engine, Apexi PFC, Zorstec full stainless system exhaust (including 400 cell cat & race header), titanium heat wrap, MRW underdrive pulleys, handmade short ram intake, Hondata intake gasket, Celica gearbox ratio's, LSD.
Edge 306 speakers, Alpine CDE 235BT, sound deadened doors.
Full facelift conversion including bracing, sub frame, the works...

swampy_donkey

Quote from: "Andys-N20"Depends on how much you are planning on adding.
Looking at the link 'Wabbitkilla' gave you I divert your attention to the post by 'MR 2ster'

Age of Car:
2000 Original Engine

Miles completed:

Engine Mods:
None

Induction Mods:
Markiii induction pipe.......                          You can use silicon hose etc so this could be as little as £15.00
TOM's Panel Filter.......                                A branded panel filter is about £30-£40
Slightly tweaked induction pipe.......           Not sure what this mod was

Exhaust Mods:
Decatted manifold.......                               You can do that for free
Apexi N1 exhaust.......                                 Second hand sports exhaust could be about £200 ish

Engine Electronics:
Dastek Unichip......                              I think this will only make about 3 BHP so you should be looking at about 155BHP without it
Iridium spark plugs.......                             about £25

Mapping:
Not yet!

All other components fitted to the car are handling related - springs and bracing etc.

Performance:
157.4 BHP
140 Lb Ft at 4400 RPM
7000 rev limit

Give the car a service and clean the MAF ontop of this to restore lost power and you could be looking at about 153 - 155 BHP for about £350
After that I think every pony is going to cost you dearly .
Then you have weight loss, some people remove the spare wheel etc...

Thanks so much, this was ecactly what I was looking for. The cheaper the better. What silicon hose can be used instead?

I just replaced the air filter too,damn, well it was only £8 so no big loss. I didn't realise they made such a big difference. £400+ for a chip seems excessive though. I would be interested in a new exhaust system though. I didn't realise iridium plugs gave better performance, just improved longevity.

Many thanks for your help.

Rob
K&N panel filter - Markiii Pipe - TRD Style Bar - Chrome Filler Cap - Hard Top - Clear Side Indicators - Visor Plugs - Dev\'s Keyhole Covers - Silver Callipers - Pioneer DEH-4400BT + CD-SR110 - Red Leather Interior - Red footwell LEDs - Mud Flaps - Custom fit luggage - OBDII reader

nathanMR2

There's been some recent chat about this here which might help...

l viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45938 l
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

swampy_donkey

Thanks Nathan. Can any eBay unichip be re-mapped to an MR2?

Andys-N20

Quote from: "swampy_donkey"Thanks so much, this was ecactly what I was looking for. The cheaper the better. What silicon hose can be used instead?

I just replaced the air filter too,damn, well it was only £8 so no big loss. I didn't realise they made such a big difference. £400+ for a chip seems excessive though. I would be interested in a new exhaust system though. I didn't realise iridium plugs gave better performance, just improved longevity.

Many thanks for your help.

Rob

Each of the mods add only tiny power increases in BHP, Iridium plugs don't make much difference unless the one's you have are 'on the way out'.
But combined the above mods make a noticeable difference. Defiantly will sound better... This is my old car with similar mods on YouTube:
 m http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNewM7_EaZs m
On my old car I used a 45 degree bend silicon hose and replaced the restrictive section. This is the one I used:
 m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... OC:GB:3160 m
As I said any more power you will have to pay dearly for every BHP. Getting a chip will make a few ponies and then getting it mapped will make a few more but the cost to BHP gained, you have to ask is it worth it as you could splash out on a 2ZZ or a turbo.
204.2 BHP Silver 2000 MR2, 2006 2ZZ engine, Apexi PFC, Zorstec full stainless system exhaust (including 400 cell cat & race header), titanium heat wrap, MRW underdrive pulleys, handmade short ram intake, Hondata intake gasket, Celica gearbox ratio's, LSD.

stargazer30

On the flip side my MR2 with a markiii pipe, unichip,exhaust back box and K&N panel filter only made 137bhp   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    Mind you I dont trust the dyno it was on anymore after the mr2 and my 2 preivous cars all made low numbers on it and they just so happen to sell remaps.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

mrzwei

Interesting thread. It just shows really how efficient modern engines have become. In the 'old days' you could skim 100 thou off the head of an 'A' series, match and polish the ports, fit larger inlet valves, fit a long duration hi lift cam and a Webber carb and get a massive increase in bhp. You just can't do that now unless you go turbo.

The big, big plus of the turbo is the increase in torque rather than bhp.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Andys-N20

Quote from: "stargazer30"On the flip side my MR2 with a markiii pipe, unichip,exhaust back box and K&N panel filter only made 137bhp   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    Mind you I dont trust the dyno it was on anymore after the mr2 and my 2 preivous cars all made low numbers on it and they just so happen to sell remaps.

137 at the wheels? So at the flywheel over 150?
A little off topic... but 'stargazer30'... Your guide on the edge 306 speakers was really useful, I did the same thing less the sub and amp. So thanks   s:D :D s:D

eynonz

Quote from: "Andys-N20"Each of the mods add only tiny power increases in BHP, Iridium plugs don't make much difference unless the one's you have are 'on the way out'.
But combined the above mods make a noticeable difference. Defiantly will sound better... This is my old car with similar mods on YouTube:
 m http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNewM7_EaZs m
On my old car I used a 45 degree bend silicon hose and replaced the restrictive section. This is the one I used:
 m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... OC:GB:3160 m
As I said any more power you will have to pay dearly for every BHP. Getting a chip will make a few ponies and then getting it mapped will make a few more but the cost to BHP gained, you have to ask is it worth it as you could splash out on a 2ZZ or a turbo.

What did you use that 45 degree silicon bend for? Is that instead of the Markiii pipe?
*BLUE 2002 PRE-FACELIFT* - Markiii Pipe - Longlife Exhaust System - "The Ultimate Gear Shift Cable Bushings" -  Unknown Brand Front Strut Brace - More to come \";)\"

Andys-N20

Quote from: "eynonz"What did you use that 45 degree silicon bend for? Is that instead of the Markiii pipe?

It was as I was unable to find markiii pipes at the time. I looked on google and flebay and no luck.
It seems that there are group buys for them every now and again so that's the best option. But on a budget silicon hose will work.

swampy_donkey

Quote from: "Andys-N20"
Quote from: "eynonz"What did you use that 45 degree silicon bend for? Is that instead of the Markiii pipe?

It was as I was unable to find markiii pipes at the time. I looked on google and flebay and no luck.
It seems that there are group buys for them every now and again so that's the best option. But on a budget silicon hose will work.

Excellent idea, was it easy to fit?

stargazer30

Quote from: "swampy_donkey"
Quote from: "Andys-N20"

Excellent idea, was it easy to fit?

You can also buy a superflex heat proof rubber hose with steel helix too pretty cheap off ebay.  I got a section for £20 long enough to do 2 x MR2s.  Then you just need some jubelle clips.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

Reme

+1 Same as above. Lot cheaper and as affective.

ant0

Quote from: "stargazer30"You can also buy a superflex heat proof rubber hose with steel helix too pretty cheap off ebay.  I got a section for £20 long enough to do 2 x MR2s.  Then you just need some jubelle clips.

What diameter do you need to get (and whatever it is is that inner or outer diameter)?

swampy_donkey

Is it 76mm diameter?

Found this

m http://www.asap-supplies.com/marine/mar ... 412576-050 m

Any good? Would 0.5m be enough?

Thanks in advance.

swampy_donkey

I've also been looking at K and N parts, the 57i-9002 looks like a decent modification. What do people think?

Sonner34

i would have thought would ribbed piping like seen above it would cause a poor air flow, a smooth pipe would allow the air to flow smoothly through rather than the ribbed pipe which i'm sure would be very disruptive. probably still an improvement on the stanard, just would rather a smooth pipe.
2004 Silver MR2, For Sale, low mileage and pretty standard

mrzwei

Quote from: "Sonner34"i would have thought would ribbed piping like seen above it would cause a poor air flow, a smooth pipe would allow the air to flow smoothly through rather than the ribbed pipe which i'm sure would be very disruptive. probably still an improvement on the stanard, just would rather a smooth pipe.

That's an interesting point.
The standard intake pipe probably narrows for a reason. A venture effect is created causing the air to flow faster as it enters the airbox; there will be a drop in pressure at that point but the kinetic energy in the air will be higher.
The 'straight through' Mark iii type pipe will have a lower air entry speed as it enters the airbox but a higher pressure and lower energy.
My simplistic interpretation of that is that is that the oe pipe will generate slightly more low end torque and that the 'straight through' pipe will transfer that slightly up the rev range.
If the piping is ribbed on the inside then there will be significant flow  turbulence which may affect both flow speed, pressure and energy.

That could be rowlocks so we now need the person with the degree in Physics.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

(I doubt that you could actually notice the difference when driving but I thought when I fitted my Mark iii that the mid range pull was marginally better).
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.

AndyM

Quote from: "mrzwei"My simplistic interpretation of that is that is that the oe pipe will generate slightly more low end torque and that the 'straight through' pipe will transfer that slightly up the rev range.

Interestingly one of the only benefits I felt I got on performance by fitting a Markiii pipe was the low end torque seemed slightly better.   s:? :? s:?  

No physics degree here to back it up though (only an A-level  s;) ;) s;)  ).
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

swampy_donkey

Quote from: "mrzwei"
Quote from: "Sonner34"i would have thought would ribbed piping like seen above it would cause a poor air flow, a smooth pipe would allow the air to flow smoothly through rather than the ribbed pipe which i'm sure would be very disruptive. probably still an improvement on the stanard, just would rather a smooth pipe.

That's an interesting point.
The standard intake pipe probably narrows for a reason. A venture effect is created causing the air to flow faster as it enters the airbox; there will be a drop in pressure at that point but the kinetic energy in the air will be higher.
The 'straight through' Mark iii type pipe will have a lower air entry speed as it enters the airbox but a higher pressure and lower energy.
My simplistic interpretation of that is that is that the oe pipe will generate slightly more low end torque and that the 'straight through' pipe will transfer that slightly up the rev range.
If the piping is ribbed on the inside then there will be significant flow  turbulence which may affect both flow speed, pressure and energy.

That could be rowlocks so we now need the person with the degree in Physics.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

(I doubt that you could actually notice the difference when driving but I thought when I fitted my Mark iii that the mid range pull was marginally better).

I think a degree in fluid dynamics!

mrzwei

Sorry, false post, just wanted to correct my spelling of venturi and quoted by mistake.

Think you're right about fluid dynamics.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.

swampy_donkey

So after all of this, I see a few options available to me:

1. Do nothing.

2. K&N panel filter + Markiii pipe

3. K&N panel filter + helix tubing

4. K&N panel filter only

5. K&N full intake kit

Thoughts?

AndyM

I have your option 2 and am happy with it. However without other components and a map I  think the effect on horsepower is negligible.

Option 5 is probably the way to getting a couple  more ponies (with a map) but I believe if you're going down the intake route there may be better options available.
Ex-owner: 2003 Sable - Hardtop, Black Leather, A/C, lots (and lots) of mods

Tags: