!HELP Toyo Tyres

Started by Anonymous, July 9, 2004, 13:42

Anonymous

Hey all just picked my car up from ETB after being newly shod with Toyo T1-S' tyres .. driving it home it felt bizarre, however thought it migh tbe just coz they are brand new tyres.  I get back to work to fin d 205s on the front and 185s on the back   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    Now I am taking it back to get this changed after work however, can a 205 fit on the font tyre and can a 185 fit on the rear is it simply a case of they took all 4 tyres off and put the rear wheels on the front?  

Also what size is the rea 15/"6.5"?

Liz

Sounds like it, Jeeeze, thats scary  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  , what did they say when you told them?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

markiii

205, should go on teh 6.5" (this is stamped on teh inside of the wheel)

185, should go on 6"

yes they can put them on the rear wheels, my dealer made the same error.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

GSB

Oh jesus  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

It always amazes me that tyre fitters, who do this for a living remember, can balls this up so massively.

Rear wheels are 6.5" wide, fronts are 6".
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Is there anyway that I can tell if the 15"/6.5" rims are on the rear or the front at the moment?  I know jack-all about tyres but I am worried they have put the 185 on the rear rim (if this is possible) rather than on the front!  Scary as!  It is such a weird experience. (I only work 2 mins away from the place thats why I continues driving)

I said "you have put the fronts on the rears and vice-versa" and they said "oh you should have said" too which I replied .. "I did tell you when I phoned up" to which they replied "oh but different people do the job"  ... hello communication FFS!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"205, should go on the 6.5" (this is stamped on the inside of the wheel)

185, should go on 6"

yes they can put them on the rear wheels, my dealer made the same error.

Not to sound stupid but ~I have looked on the wheel (alloy side with nuts) and cannot see any size markings and tried to look on the inside  ... but, to no avail.  Whereabouts on the inside.  Thanks for the info guys!

markiii

on teh inside of teh spoke.

you will need to take teh wheel off to see it.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

oh ok .. cheers markii I will get them to check, but this is what I suspect as the rear tyre looks tight and the front one looks loose if that makes sense.

Cheers
Tom

Anonymous

Probably are so used to dealing with front wheel drive tin tops that they thought the bigger tyres should go on the front!

Scary!!!!!!!!

Andrew

Anonymous

Quote from: "floater"I said "you have put the fronts on the rears and vice-versa" and they said "oh you should have said" too which I replied .. "I did tell you when I phoned up" to which they replied "oh but different people do the job"  ... hello communication FFS!!

!!!! They're meant to be professionals.... you're not supposed to have to tell them how to do their job.  Well, in that case, perhaps you should charge 'em a consultancy fee?

Anonymous

phil that is a legendary idea .. that would be quite funny to do that.  Not looking forward to the scary drive back over there after work!  

I have written what needs to be where on a piece of paper for them this time!

zud

I don't think they can get the wheels wrong.  One of the "experts" at my place put the (rotational) tyre on back to front.  I asked the (relatively) bright guy why they couldn't just put the wheel on the opposite side and he said there was a notch/hollow on each wheel/hub that means they can't swap sides.  So I'd guess they'd have something similar to prevent swapping front to back(?)
Blue SMT with leather, A/C and TTE Twin.

markiii

misinformation again I'm afraid.

teh 2 rear wheels have a stud that sticks out. This locates into a hole on the rear hub, the fronts hubs don't have this so you can't put the rears on teh front.

However teh rears will mount on either side.

Having said whihc, teh stud only screws in, it can easily be removed with a pair of pliers. And when mine were done wrong thats exactly what teh muppets had done. how brain dead is that  s:-( :-( s:-(

Anonymous

Just our of curiosity (as this talk of complete and utter incompetance has got me alittle scared) do the Toyo's have a direction marker on the side walls? Don't want the muppets putting them on the wrong way round!!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

so they couldnt have put my rear rims on the front?

I think it says on the side of the tyres which should be left and right on the toyos!

markiii

depends if you, a previous owner, or they have removed them.

and I have known muppets remove them for balancing and not put them back.

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"Just our of curiosity (as this talk of complete and utter incompetance has got me alittle scared) do the Toyo's have a direction marker on the side walls? Don't want the muppets putting them on the wrong way round!!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

They do indeed have a rotation marker, and the tyre tread itself is one big rotation marker... even so when Mr T changed my wheels last week they painted extra big rotation markers (and "left"/"Right" on the sidewalls to help them a little more.

That said, first thing I checked before I left.... that they'd put the 205's on the rears and the 185s on the fronts, having remembered the fun Markiii had.

Anonymous

Quote from: "phil4"
Quote from: "John Woodward"Just our of curiosity (as this talk of complete and utter incompetance has got me alittle scared) do the Toyo's have a direction marker on the side walls? Don't want the muppets putting them on the wrong way round!!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

They do indeed have a rotation marker, and the tyre tread itself is one big rotation marker... even so when Mr T changed my wheels last week they painted extra big rotation markers (and "left"/"Right" on the sidewalls to help them a little more.

That said, first thing I checked before I left.... that they'd put the 205's on the rears and the 185s on the fronts, having remembered the fun Markiii had.

I kinda thought that would, but with these stories and the fact that the mupets might not actually know which way the tread should go (  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  trust me, I have seen it done on my Dads car!!!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  ), I though I better check forwhen I get mine done next month............

Anonymous

Problem is the rotation markers actually require the muppet putting 'em on to have half a brain.  The tyres aren't marked L/R, they just have rotation markers.  Now you or I could figure out which side they go on based on that.... but could these bods?  Doubt it.  Rotation would required them to think about which way the tyre would rotate if the car were moving forward.   2 whole brain cells requried.

filcee

Oh no!  I'm having my alloys replaced under warranty next Friday, which means the tyres will have to be changed  s:-( :-( s:-(   and I get to worry about whether they order 2 x 15s for the front and 2 x 16s for the rear, or if I'm going to get 4 small ones all round.

I think I'm going to have to write the instructions down before I get there ...
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Tem

Quote from: "GSB"It always amazes me that tyre fitters, who do this for a living remember, can balls this up so massively.

I suppose most of them just have this "I'm only working here" -attitude. Top that with the fact that 99.9% of cars probably have same size tyres all over and I can't say I'm surprised  s:? :? s:?

Most of us are always going to the cheapest place anyway, not to some racing garage who actually know what they are doing  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Ok this got sorted after the chap did try to fob me off a bit and also had the nerve to say "you really should tell us" and I bit my lip as I was about to let fly with how I  had told them on the phone etc!

They had put the 205/50s on the front rims and the 185/55s on the rear rims!!  Did about 150 miles over the weekend and the T1-S' feel awesome and are so much quieter than the shoddy Pirelli's!

Tags: