2grfe Spyder Swap

Started by NoobieMRS, August 26, 2013, 22:43

NoobieMRS

I finish mr 2gr swap.  I thought I share it here.  I started my swap in Dec but here in Wisconsin it was pretty cold.  I started to get a head start as much as I could but during school it slowed down some.  

Plans:
2gr
e153
turbo axle with modded camry axle
vipec v88 (don't have to deal with engine immobilizer plus a higher redline, need to order)
MWR Fuel Pump 265lph
Fidanza Flywheel
ATS clutchmaster stage 4
Gouky's Header

- I plan to cut the crossmember.  
- Oil dip stick, will figure it out later.
- Shifter cables, use the stock cables.  Turbos are too short and wrong end.  Could weld I guess.
- Plan to keep all the spyder mounts and make brackets to all four mounts if possible.  
- Plan to have a/c.  I will try to atleast.  

There are some Shaving on the 2gr in order to mate the tranny and clear the rear bracket.  

Love the spyder.  Started with a 85 n/a, 88 sc, 91 turbo and n/a (from 1st owned until recently).  I like the spyder the most although if I was to do it again I would go with an 85 hardtop 2gr.

NoobieMRS

Dropped the engine in Nov.  I was surprised the weather was kind of nice still.

Took me a while to find an engine.  By that time it was already Dec.  Snow everyone  s:) :) s:)

NoobieMRS

Some clearing on the engine.

A view of the stock e153 cable bracket and selector shaft.  I'm not going this route as it bracket hits firewall plus 10 other issues.

Pic of clearing needed.  I should had hit it hard the first time.  It would had saved me 2-3 times from removing the motor.

NoobieMRS

I cut a bit of this after a while I got tired of moving the engine back and forth, left and right.  It's a very huge motor.

NoobieMRS

Front bracket.

NoobieMRS

Rear crossmember.  

NoobieMRS

NoobieMRS

Passenger Mount.

NoobieMRS

Linkage completed.  Shifts great.  A little tricky to install but nothing impossible.

Shifter

NoobieMRS

Very tight clearance everywhere.

NoobieMRS

Gas pedal adapter if finish.  The rest is just putting the car together now.

Get it painted in put it in once.  I'm 5'2" and i barely fit in there.  Remember to remove the pig tail, lol.

NoobieMRS

Driver bracket.

I deleted the evap system and canister.  Honestly I have no clue how to wire it.  This is how I am doing my fuel mod.

I drilled the hole way before and just never finish doing the fuel line (3 month ago).  If I had known I would had use that capped hole as my return.

This is how I am hooking my fuel line.  Sensor on the return line.  i love how it turned out.  There's no where to mount it.

NoobieMRS

New radiator is also in.  I was going to run lines all the way but for an extra $250-$350 I will spend it else where.

NoobieMRS

Got the axle finish.

Plug the a/c lines.  The spyder a/c connectors works for the 2gr.  Just have to trim the inside part.  I think you can use the spyder lines cutting the rubber lines and attach it again.  Stock rubber hose are too long.  Should be fairly simple (tool ranging from $250-$1000+).  Depends on which a/c you get tho.  I thought I had a sienna like my harness but it had a different plug which worked with the spyder plug.  Still not sure from which car/year.

Reroute the lines for the passenger abs sensor and tail light (I think, been too long since I took it apart) through the antenna cable.  I'm using the passenger harness hole for the vipec.  Cleaner I think.

NoobieMRS

Got the axle finish.

Plug the a/c lines.  The spyder a/c connectors works for the 2gr.  Just have to trim the inside part.  I think you can use the spyder lines cutting the rubber lines and attach it again.  Stock rubber hose are too long.  Should be fairly simple (tool ranging from $250-$1000+).  Depends on which a/c you get tho.  I thought I had a sienna like my harness but it had a different plug which worked with the spyder plug.  Still not sure from which car/year.

Reroute the lines for the passenger abs sensor and tail light (I think, been too long since I took it apart) through the antenna cable.  I'm using the passenger harness hole for the vipec.  Cleaner I think.

I'm still wrenching by hand.  Could use a compressor.

NoobieMRS

Axle.  I think it's in a very good position.  Almost parral with the outer shaft slightly up (15-30 degree).

Driver

Passenger

NoobieMRS

Far left and right.

Got the car running this evening.  Took it out and drove for about 2 hours.  Everything seems good to go.  Shifting is good, no grinding.  

While I had the motor out I cut one of the heater pipe further back so i can just hook unhook one of the shifter cables.

I had to make a tool a while back to tighten thos16AN fittings.  Works very well.  
I was lucky I didn't throw the section I cut out away yet as I had to weld it back on to make the swivel fit.

NoobieMRS

A video for those who are wondering about the linkage. Unmodified shifter cables.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K7_SvxQwgg

NoobieMRS

A video.  Sorry a little blurry.  Wife doesn't know how to focus on the dlsr.
2gr Spyder - YouTube

NoobieMRS

While I was working on my 2gr I also did another set for a 3sgte.  Everything turned out fine.  I also made two kit for two other 3mz swap.  Should have everything done along with the passenger solution for 3mz.  They all utilize the same e153 brackets and shifter brackets for my 2gr swap.  I have a 3sgte bracket made to use with the 1st gen rav4 mount.  Here is a link to the set I made for Prime Performance 3sgte.
 m http://spyderchat.com/forums/showthread ... read/page6 m

NoobieMRS

It is everything I can ask for in my spyder.   Better than my aw11 and sw20 plus more.  Road a few 2zz built with powerfc and well, not too impressed.  Cost of a 2zz built motor/1zz turbo would had been the same.  Conversion kit for a e153 was out of the price range so I decided a 2gr along with an e153 would do me justice  s:) :) s:)   My 2nd engine choice would had been a 3sgte.

Tags: