Help with Gauge install - new pics 12oct

Started by stargazer30, August 30, 2013, 13:45

stargazer30

Hi Folks,

Can anyone let me know where I can get a 3 x gauge pod that will fit the centre/top storage compartment lid.   I believe its a subaru item?   Closest I've seen on ebay is this one;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390477763724?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_673wt_1018
Not the same but might work?

Second I have a 60mm boost gauge and was going to add oil temp and pressure.  I have no idea how to fit the sender units though.  I dont want to have to drill or fabricate anything in the engine.   Anyone know of/installed oil temp/pressure without major hassle?  I heard of some that use a fitting that sits between the oil filter and engine?

Thanks David
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

nathanMR2

Im not sure about the gauge pod as mine is a pillar pod.

However you need a sandwich plate for the feeds for the Oil pressure and Oil temperture. You can pick them up from ebay. It sits between the oil filter.
MR2 Roadster TTE Turbo - now sold and 2less but forever an enthusiast

nathanMR2

One like this...

Ive read a few people mentioning issues of them leaking so i got a named brand which was a bit more expensive. Im not sure if it really makes a difference though.

I have disturbed mine recently and ive got a bit i weepage. The pain with them is that you cant really tighten them up without removing the oil filter whereas you'll lose most your oil. Im going to be doing an oil change this weekend and hopefull that should sort things out

AmeR

Quote from: "nathanMR2"However you need a sandwich plate for the feeds for the Oil pressure and Oil temperture.
That's what I have used. The sandwich plate for my turbo oil feed had places to screw the sensor in to.

As for the cabling, mine runs in to the car through the grommets and down the side, then up into the central gauge pod:

Purchased from Spyderchat, originally a luxuryparts item if I recall correctly  s:) :) s:)

nathanMR2

Providing you have enough feeds for both senders you'll be ok. Some only come with 2, whereas mine came with 3. If you only have 2 holes on the sandwich plate and you're already using one for the oil feed you could struggle

stargazer30

Ah I see the plate is generic so it should work with any sender, clever.   I should only need 2 x ports right as my TTE oil feed to the turbo is separate, it gets it from the sump IIRC.
2003 Silver MR2 - Very Very Standard + Leccy Renault Zoe aka the battery mobile.
Ex Blue 04 MR2 - TTE Turbo\'d ~185bhp/200lbs/ft, Sports Clutch, Breast Plate, Lowered & half decent audio
Ex Silver 05 MR2 -  SP turbo conversion 227bhp, 205lbs/ft, with  cobra dual exit exhaust.

nathanMR2

Yes mate. The TTE takes the feed from above the oil filter so 2 should be fine. You then just need to tap into the pipe which feeds into the ECU in the drivers side bin. I added a T piece here for the boost pressure

stargazer30

Quote from: "nathanMR2"Yes mate. The TTE takes the feed from above the oil filter so 2 should be fine. You then just need to tap into the pipe which feeds into the ECU in the drivers side bin. I added a T piece here for the boost pressure

Yeah I've done that already.  I have the boost gauge running in a single pod for now.  It reads 10PSI on full wack much like yours does.

nathanMR2

Did you sort out your boost issues?

stargazer30

Quote from: "nathanMR2"Did you sort out your boost issues?

Nope the TTE is not adjustable (or mine isn't anyway)  I'm not sure I've got a boost issue either really.  The gauge reads 9 to 10psi but so does yours and yours is fine.  Its probably more likely these gauges are not accurate at such low boost.  I do know my MAF is duff, thats the next thing to sort out but at £120 for a new denso sensor its sickening.  I tried a copy ebay one but they dont like turbo's it seems.

nathanMR2

That pretty much sucks.

I don't suppose the maf is helping. Have you had chance to try anyone else's to see if that helps?

stargazer30

** Thread Update **

I have the 3 gauge pod fitted now, with my boost gauge wired in.  The pod doesn't exactly look OEM but its not too bad until I can get something better.

Have these on order;

The cars due an oil change so will kill two birds with one stone and fit the sensor plate during the oil change.

Also with a bit of luck will have "Mel's MAF" going in to replace my iffy one.  Which should hopefully make it run better.

mr-ed_smt

Got any pictures of the final install Stargazer? I've got 3 gauges and an almost identical pod (albeit just in back not carbon effect) to fit this week hopefully.
[size=85]The never ending project - cherished daily driver, to fully-caged track toy![/size]

stargazer30

Quote from: "mr-ed_smt"Got any pictures of the final install Stargazer? I've got 3 gauges and an almost identical pod (albeit just in back not carbon effect) to fit this week hopefully.

Where did you get the black pod from?  I wanted black but could only find stock of the carbon effect ones. It does kinda go with the dotty trim on the MR2?!

Not final pics but work in progress   s:D :D s:D  

mr-ed_smt

Thanks - looks good, exactly how I'd imagined. Loads of black triple gauge pods on eBay! How did you run the wires and tubes - through the bulkhead and under the carpet or under the car and then up under the dash?
[size=85]The never ending project - cherished daily driver, to fully-caged track toy![/size]

stargazer30

Quote from: "mr-ed_smt"Thanks - looks good, exactly how I'd imagined. Loads of black triple gauge pods on eBay! How did you run the wires and tubes - through the bulkhead and under the carpet or under the car and then up under the dash?

No tubes, I used an electronic boost gauge.  It has its own MAP sensor which is plumbed in at the same point as the toyota MAP my TTE turbo uses.  So whatever toyota's ECU sees my gauge sees the same.

So its a straight run of 3 wires from the rear passenger side bin (thats where the wiring comes in from the engine bay), across the back, down the drivers side, under the steering column and then up under the dash where the pod is.  Thats an easy route as the trims just clip off and the existing stock wiring provides an anchor to zip tie the new wiring to.  Only took an hour and a half to do it.

stargazer30

Oil pressure and temp sensors and gauges arrived today.  Need a little help.

The Oil pressure sender is pretty big, about 48mm diameter.  The sandwich plate it screws into is smaller about 30mm thick.   Does anyone know if the engine where the oil filter screws onto is flat or if that section protrudes any?   If its flat I am stuck as the oil pressure sensor won't fit due to the extra width.

On the plus side the gauges do look very snazzy.

nathanMR2

It does protrude but if the thread is bigger than the hole in the sandwich plate I'm not sure how its going to fit. Unless you mean something else.

Maybe you can upload pictures of the sender and plate

stargazer30

Quote from: "nathanMR2"It does protrude but if the thread is bigger than the hole in the sandwich plate I'm not sure how its going to fit. Unless you mean something else.

Maybe you can upload pictures of the sender and plate

The thread size is fine, the pic below shows it better.

As you can see the oil pressure sensor is thicker than the sandwich plate.  So if the mount point on the engine is totally flat (like my work surface in the pic) its not going to fit.

nathanMR2

It is a bigun. But there should be enough space for it to fit, there's a fair bit up there. Best thing to do is get your head up there and take a look  s;) ;) s;)

E

A bit late now but I used one of these instead of a sandwich plate when fitting my oil pressure gauge and it works just fine.

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OIL-GAUGE-FIT ... 1e7c977ed3 m

spit

On the pod, I think it looks better if you cut the skirt off it and shape what's left to bond it to the lid. It stands a bit tall otherwise. IMHO.

1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

mr-ed_smt

Looks goods - are those 52 or 60mm gauges?

spit

60s in a 52 fleabay triple pod
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

stargazer30

Yeah I'm not too chuffed on my pod.  It will do for now.

I found this one on the bay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-TRIPLE-60mm-3-GAUGE-CENTER-METER-DASH-PILLAR-POD-/321005476663?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4abd6adb37

But its slightly too wide. I am thinking to taking a gamble seeing if I can cut it down and bond it to the lid.

Tags: