10hrs of misery, and need still need help with bleeding brak

Started by Sonner34, September 7, 2013, 20:52

Sonner34

So there I stood in front of my mr2 this morning at 8am, armed with my toolkit, pads all round, discs all round and braided hoses followed by some 5.1dot fluid.

So 2hrs in I realise I need more tools, so off down the hardware store for an 8mm spanner. 6hrs in and I'm on the rear calipers, and omg what an awkward design, none of my other cars I  have ever had have calipers like that!

Anyway at 6:15pm I had with the assistance of swmbo bled all four brakes with clean fluid coming through on all corners!

So I bolt the wheels back on, check for leaks and gently move off, the short and long of it is there is Only brake pressure if pedal is u pumped quickly a few times in a row. after about 4-5 seconds the pressure goes and all you can hear is air, the sound doesn't come from any corner of the car it comes from the master cylinder/abs pump area.

Is there something I've not done? I've got two hours tomorrow morning to fix it at 7am so please any e who's changed braided hoses or know what I've done wrong please help!

I am at a very low point with the car right now and am very tempted to take it to a garage on Monday morning. So some help would be appreciated.
2004 Silver MR2, For Sale, low mileage and pretty standard

normanh

Did you bleed the brakes using a tube into a bottle of fluid checking you removed the air in each corner then locking up the bleed nipple with the brake pedal depressed. It sounds like you have just pumped the brakes and allowed the fluid out of the nipple. Once you take your foot off the pedal and the nipple is not immersed in a fluid you introduce air into the system which defeats the objective.  

Do you have the sprung loaded auto bleed nipples?

Norman

mrzwei

Yeah, as above really, just need confirmation of the obvious eg, the master cylinder was kept topped up with fluid etc.
Also, I think the best sequence is longest pipe first.
Ex.MR2 SMT sadly missed.
Saab 9-5 Turbo, Hirsch stage 1, Sports suspension and anti roll bars, uprated disks, sports intake and filter and various other bits. 210bhp, 320Nm.
Talbot Express campervan with carb, distributor, coil and no cat! SOLD

Sonner34

Norman I did exactly what you described, just pumped the pedal, thus introducing air back into the air. I will emerge the hose in fluid tomorrow morning, many thanks

Russel Nash

At no point did you let the reservoir run dry? Ensure all hose and pipe unions are tight, check the master cylinder is not leaking fluid or passing back to reservoir. If still no joy blank off one res pipe at a time to identify what line has the problem. But do ensure you have bled the system to the best of your ability first.

Sorry sonner, I did not read the thread fully. I'm sure you will find a good pedal following norman's advise. Good luck

normanh

Best to bleed the brakes with two people, one pumping and one checking that there is no further air coming out with fluid plus monitoring the fluid levels in the reserovir. Always lock the nipple off before taking your foot off the pedal.

Norman

redarrow

You need to have the engine running, are you
Doung the bleed process correctly ?

Your need two ppl unless you got a one man bleed tool.

You need to start from the passenger rear then around untill
Getting to passenger front.

You need to press the pedal slowly but hard.

Your need to always refill the brake  fluid reservoir.

Get a coke bottle, put a hole in the lid, then get a tube
That fits the caliper nipple, fill the coke bottle 10% with
Brake fluid, have the pipe emersed in the fluid, stick the
Other end on the caliper nipple,turn engine on , open the bleed screw,
get a person to pump the brake, watch fluid come out
Of tube , keep cheeking reservoir leval, if there no bubbles in the bottle or tube
tell helper foot down on brake , do nipple up.

Do that process on all four wheels.( some times needs doing twice, use the same
Fluid in the bottle to top up the reservoir).

All your trying to do is make the brake lines
Have fluid with no air and that it good brakes.

If the brakes are soft each time you do the process,
try doing it with the engine off,  but your need to
Get the brake pedal filling rock hard with engine off
With no play in the brake pedal, then turn engine on test
Brakes.

If there still soft and there no air leaks ,
Phone rac or aa or use a local garage.

I just changed all my brake lines, and the bleed process
Was long , i put news papers under all wheels to see
If there was any leaking fluid, in my case there where loads
I didnt tighten the main lines up correctly, eventually i got it bleed
Correctly after many trys.( i even snaped a flare nut and learn
To replace the whole line to the abs and re flare was a night mare))

I share your pain.
[size=85]These are the dreaded code your get with cheap 02 sensors.
P0135 drivers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 1)
P0155 passengers side position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 2 sensor 1)
P0141 passengers side down below exhaust position. (o2 sensor heater malfunction (bank 1 sensor 2[/size]

Wabbitkilla

I have never run the engine when bleeding brakes, and never seen people needing to run the engine when bleeding brakes.

You do need two people when doing it, and best to use clean containers to bleed into so you can reuse the fluid if necessary. The most important thing is to make sure the reservoir is kept topped up. And do the longer lines first then move to the shorter ones ie... nsr, then osr, then nsf, then osf.
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Sonner34

Bleeding was easier with engine running, brakes all re-bleed at 7am Sunday morning with tube submersed in fluid, hey presto it's perfect now! Really happy with it, thanks everyone for there help

Wabbitkilla

Ah that's good news, well done   s8) 8) s8)
Cute & fluffy animals were definitely hurt during the production of this post, there're plenty more where they came from
Aztec Bronze S2 Elise 111S
Campovolo Grey Abarth 595 Competizione

Tags: